Home Technical Talk

3d Worn Down Glass Floor Material Needed

Replies

• Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FINALLY... I got the high poly done. Sounds like an easy process but I did 4 times. Here is the render. I'm planning on adding a light under the grate so you can see the pipes.

graternder.png
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    cool, congrats.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job.

The edges are really thin, I didn't do it in my example, but you should make the edge bars at least as thick (if not more) than the inner cross-pieces. Look at your reference again.

Also this is the high-poly mesh for generating a normal map, you'll want to use a normal-mapped low-poly mesh in your environment, not these mega-polygon meshes.

You may want to re-think your design too, since the upper part looks more future-tech, while your grate looks decidely past-tech. Some ideas from Doom 3...

doom3-2004-08-24-01-35-49-7.jpg
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. :) I'm sort of confused because you said that the original glass doesn't fit with everything else. So then I went to this to make it use more metal. In my opinion the glass futuristic and with it being worn down it made it fit with the rusty metal.

What do you think it should be? I did look at the doom 3 picture a couple hours ago but I'm now at work and for some reason the picture isn't appearing. Sorry :(

Oh and if you think I should keep the grate, should I use XNormal, nvidea pugin (from the nextgen texturing dvd eat3d.com) or something else to create (bake, is that the correct use? haha) the normal maps?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric's saying that a Metal Grate will fit better in this environment, but the particular grate that you picked, is more like a drainage/sewer grate, and doesn't feel as new and techy as it should. The grate you made looks like it should be made out of cast iron, with larger, chunkier features. This is typical in drainage & sewer grates, and is an older technology/technique. Often you'll see grates of that style, with "Blah Blah Company, 1929" embossed on it.

Something like he posted, that looks more like an access grate for wires/technology would fit better imo. Making it look like stamped metal, or at lesat made out of steel/aluminum would help sell a more modern look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsi/87417073/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31658497@N00/533148445/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/boy_bohemian/418495811/

Maybe something with a little more design to it:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/futileboy/96457539/
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok now I think I understandand I'm going to choose the second one... the good thing is that I think I can model that one. I'm going to try and have the high poly done tonight so ill post another render when it is done. Thanks. :)
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest render:
    grate3.png

I've noticed a couple minor errors but before you critique those I just would like to know if this "fits".
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say so. Lets see the wires.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... I don't think I'm up for wires...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry got confused there... when I read yours I had just woken up and I misunderstood what you were saying. You want the wireframe correct?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indeed. We want to see how you constructed your high poly.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subdivision ON:
    gratesub.png?t=1220107068

Subdivision OFF:
    gratenosub.png?t=1220107144
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    you need a bit more edge control around the t-junctions. Right now they flange out a bit (cross sections get thicker around the t-junctions). Instead of chamfering that inside edge like you have (resulting a diamond shape from the top), add and extra edge loop on each side just near the t-junction. You should get even thickness all the way to the junction and nice rounded inner edge.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you label one of the pictures? I'm having trouble following you...

I assume the t-intersections are the outer most intersections... and I don't know what you mean by loop or where exactly to put it.

Thanks for joining the discussion though! ;)
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    real quick example (and not just the t intersections, all of them actually):
    subdedge.jpg
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K Thanks! I understand now.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what I came up with.

Subdivision ON:
    grate2sub.png?t=1220131482

Subdivision OFF:
    grate2nosub.png?t=1220131574

I didn't want to ask another stupid question so I just went with the only way I know how to do it. This is probably not the best way to make the loops but I used the slice plane tool and eyeballed the dimensions. Feel free to tell me how you did it.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just grab som edge rings and use the connect tool with the option box. You can then use the pinch and slide to position your control edges.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to be rude but, I think it is time to move on from the high poly grate modeling. My next step is to bake the normal and opacity maps. At the moment don't know exactly how to do this but I'm going to start working on that. It would be helpful if someone could tell me how they would do it from start to finish. Thanks. :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot wrote: »
    It would be helpful if someone could tell me how they would do it from start to finish. Thanks. :)

Sure it would, but you wouldn't learn much would ya? Use the Search button, and use the search term +opacity +bake . Also look at the Normal Map wiki page.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't find anything that I was able to follow on polycount so I've been going back forth between the wiki and a tutorial I found on google.

Should my low poly be a plane with holes in it, just a plane or a plane with transparent faces/holes?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot wrote: »
    Should my low poly be a plane with holes in it, just a plane or a plane with transparent faces/holes?
    The last option. Though you would get a better result if you used a grate design with more of a bevelled look to it, like the Doom 3 examples. Your current design has no "slope" to the cross pieces, so you'll end up seeing only the tops of the bars when it's mapped onto a flat plane.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I confused now... are you saying that it is too smooth?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, just that it won't translate into a normal map very well, the sides of the cross-pieces won't show up in your normal map because they are at 90° to the low-poly plane. Section 4 of Joao Costa's tutorial illustrates why.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K. I understand now. I tried to remove the inside part of the loops I added but it just made it worse. Any ideas?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's saying that, because the top surface of the grate is essentially flat, and the holes are essentially vertical, that the normal map will be almost entirely flat, and thus defeats the purpose of making a normal map.

Personally, Eric, I don't see the bevels on the Doom 3 ones either though.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Click on the image and look at the other screenshots on the page. That site has loads of screenshots. Better yet, play the game yourself.
    doom3-2004-08-23-23-34-43-7.jpg
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I knew what Eric was talking about in the doom picture but I thought that he meant the 90 degree angles in the image below. I don't know why I thought this.
    Capture.png?t=1220274204

I have an idea to fix what you're talking about. I'll have it done within a couple of hours.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Capture-1.png?t=1220287907

I'm very proud of this... :) Please tell me that this works. I'm going to get started on the normal map that I will be surprised if I can do without asking for help.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job! You're getting it, this is great to see!

I'd make the rim along the very outside edge much thicker, like 2x the width of the inner ribs. Here it looks like 1/2 as thick.

As for learning to bake normal maps, I would suggest following the tutorials that ship with Max, for example: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2009\help\3dsmax_t.chm > Materials and Mapping Tutorials > Normal Bump Mapping.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    box01normalsmapcopy.png?t=1220289281

I don't really know what happened here... I tried to apply it just to see what would happen. While I learn about applying normal maps maybe someone could tell me why the colors got messed up in the middle.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best advice I can give is don't get ahead of yourself, will cause more problems than it's worth.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok. What does it mean when you have the brown patch?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no idea, bug great progress Talbot! Sorry Eric, I see what you're talkinga bout now.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tumerboy! :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brown patch is there because you're shooting in the dark, it could be any number of things simply because you don't know what you're doing yet.

Go through the tutorial that ships with Max, and make sure you understand each step, in this way many things will become clear.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been following a tutorial... not the 3ds max one though. I just fixed the brown patch. I think the thing I changed was the size of the normal map. I did this after I got it to appear in the render and decided to see how it looked with a higher resolution. Now do I add an Alpha map to make the holes?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Normal map wiki page.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grate9.png?t=1220315617

So I know there are a ton of things that wrong but it is an improvement.

box01normalsmapcopy-1.png?t=1220315826

Speaking of stuff wrong... I can't figure out why the vertical bars in the normal are pointing inward. Please just tell me why and not where to find out why. Yes I will learn from it because you will be telling me. If it is somewhere else then just copy and paste it. It really saves me time when I'm getting REALLY sick of this grate.

Another thing that I need to work on is lighting. I'm going to start mixing the education of that with the material stuff I'm learning currently.

Oh and Eric, my next post will include fatter edges on the grates. :) I just realized I forgot to do that.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    thats an object space normal map , you might want to render a tangent space one .
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I understand what you mean but I'm having trouble fixing it. I started by getting xNormal and making a new normal map. It was object space also, but it fixed that weird perspective view problem I had in my original Normal Map. So then I used the "Object Space to Tangent Space" Tool that is in xNormal. Now it hasn't finished yet, it is been "saving" it for the past 10 min., but in the preview box it is still looking like an object space map. Any ideas on how I can convert or why the converter is taking so long to "save" it?
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I'll post the new Normal map. And to clarify... the convert to tangent did nothing...

Grate_NormalMap.jpg?t=1220328465
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go back a few steps. Your original render (is this in max?)

If so, then your cage is doing some wierd distortion thing. Sure, converting to tangent MAY have fixed it, but you should figure out the root issue, rather than a way to get around the problem.

Go through this if you haven't already:

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow.htm
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    why convert to tangent when you can render a tangent one ?! are you this lost with something so simple as a grate that for some reason you decided to model ? when you could just bake it and use alpha channels ?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot: not having posted in this thread yet, I think I should tell you that a few people are getting fed up with your inability to use google, and the fantastic Polycount Wiki that Eric spent his precious time updating. I think it won't take long before you irritate them enough for them to give up on helping you altogether. Johny's already getting there, as you can tell.
    Go through the wiki, do a few tests, see if you can master the theory behind normalmaps. Also read through perna's end-all normalmap thread, it's a goldmine of useful tips, although I believe Eric has put most of those into the normalmap article on the wiki.

Then, if you've done that, people will be more than happy to help you with any problems, as they were in the beginning of the thread.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy: Before I forget, yes, I'm using max.

I was able to fix the distortion.
    normalsmapcopy.png?t=1220363551

But there is still a lot of pink. So then I brought it into xNormal. That made the pink darker. Then I took it into the Nvidia NormalMap plugin in Photoshop. This is what came out of it.
    normalsmap23copy.png?t=1220364023

I'm still trying to figure out what the random bumps are. But for a quick solution I touched it up in photoshop and this is what I came up with.
    normalsmap23co3py.png?t=1220365019

MightyPea: Yeah I was definatly starting to see that. The thing was that up until Tumerboy sent me the link in his last post, I was getting sent to website that what the different Normal Maps were and that was good but I really needed a website that told me the steps to creating the different types. The image that I'm going to show Johny is a good example. I wanted someone to tell me or show me a website where it told me where I pick which type. I still don't know whether there is an actual setting for this or you are supposed to do it like I explained to Tumerboy.

Anyway... yes I will keep that in mind. I hope people realize that I have been using google to find tutorials on making and applying Normal Maps. That is how I learned it actually. I just used the wiki as a Normal map dictionary.

Johny:
    I'm sorry that I didn't see the two big buttons infront of me when I made the normal map. I feel like an idiot and kneel before you amazing skills of explaining stuff... oh and your awesumeness. :)

tangentcopy.png?t=1220365800
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your last render is closer to what you need, but you need to render directly to Tangent Space. You should NOT have to do any editing/taking something into XNormal, etc. You should be able to render directly, something you could immediately use on a flat plane to approximate the grate from above. Period.

Also, I'm glad to help, but many useful tutorials, including Poopinmymouth's great normal map baking tutorial, are linked to from both the Be All End All Normal Map thread, and the Polycount Wiki page on Normal Maps.

I know it's alot to wade through, but you would truely benefit from stopping your work on this grate, and simply reading through those pages. You would find links to various useful tutorials, and you would have a better understanding of not only WHAT do do, but WHY you're doing it, and HOW it works.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The issue here, and here specficly: http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp193/TalbotFiles/box01normalsmapcopy-1.png?t=1220315826 IS NOT AN OBJECT SPACE MAP. Johny you retard how dare you throw him off the path like this.

The problem here is that your highres has HOLES IN IT. Which will give you garbage random colors or some other unpredictable result. What you need to do is this:

First off, You want add some geometry behind the grates, doesnt matter what it is, just a flat box will be best. Dont put it too far back that the trace is going to miss it, just far enough back that it isnt clipping into it.

Now, because you're going to get something rendered on 100% of your image, you need to give each part a different material color. So, apply a flat black material to your lower box mesh, and a flat white material to your upper grate mesh.

Now all you need to do is render a diffuse/color map from those material colors(you can do this in max) and there you have your alpha channel!

From this image here it looks like you have all sorts of wonky smoothing going on here. http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp193/TalbotFiles/grate9.png?t=1220315617

The grate mesh should be on its own smoothing group totally flat, not getting smoothed or even attached to other meshes.

The distortion issue is either a totally screwy cage(really there is no need to even use cage on a mesh like this, offset is enough) Or you're trying to project this onto a slightly smoothed mesh. You should be projecting this onto a single quad.

Also what tumorboy says about these latest images looking better is again totally wrong, your goal should be: http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp193/TalbotFiles/box01normalsmapcopy-1.png?t=1220315826 < this, simply without the distortion, and patching up those inner holes with the geometry i talked about above. Your last 3 images are totally wrong and very much worse than what your originally had.

As for this image here: http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp193/TalbotFiles/box01normalsmapcopy.png?t=1220289281 I'm not entirely sure why its happening but i can tell you exactly what it is.
    That result is happens when your rays shoot backwards and render the wrong side of the mesh. Turning on ignore backfaces should fix this. This is likely from screwed up cage settings, but could also just be max being a bitch.

You'll notice if you take that image into photoshop and invert it, the "brown" area will appear to be correct, and the opposite area will no look broken. Simply a case of backwards rays.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Um. . . no?

normalsmapcopy.png?t=1220363551

IS

box01normalsmapcopy-1.png?t=1220315826

without distortion.

I'm saying the first image above, is on the right track.