Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] learn to model human

Hi, i'm trying to model a full human, but right now the progress still in the head.

looking for C&C to improve on the model

Wire
headwiregv3.th.jpg

Meshsmooth subs: 2
headmeshsmooth2ho6.th.jpg

right now having a hard time to model ears, nose hole, get the head shape correct, & the neck area. & some is not quads!!

any C&C is appreciated

thx guys

Replies

• Zephir62
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Well for starters, the forehead is too flat and wide.
  • Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    looks like it could turn out to be a twi'lek from star wars.
  • Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    It's not bad, that forehead is the biggest problem at the moment:

po-1.jpg

Try and do as much of your modelling as possible in the perspective view, strange foreheads are often caused by just lining things up in the front and side views.

As for the nostrils, just grab some polys on the bottom of the nose and extrude inwards.
  • Nikko
    i feel weird with the forehead also, trying to fix it now...
  • Nikko
    new update...still can't get rid of some triangles, but after meshsmooth everything looks fine so i leave it at that

wire:
    head_wire_2.jpg

meshsmooth:
    head_meshsmooth_22.jpg

will update more to work on the body, if the head is ok (not sure)

thx
  • Nikko
    new update...work on the body

wire:
    headbody_wire.jpg

meshsmooth:
    headbody_smooth.jpg

will update more to continue the arm & legs

C&C plz
    thx
  • Nikko
    Update:

Wire

headbody2wirenr4.th.jpg

smoothing group on (no meshsmooth)

headbody2bc7.th.jpg

Next, i plan to sculpt this model to add more details to make a normal map, never use zbrush/ Mudbox before so it'll be my 1st practice.

What's the general workflow for this process?? do i need to unwrap my model 1st then export to zbrush? or i just sculpt & model a lower poly later?

thx
  • Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good, he looks very stiff and straight from the side though, the spine should have an s curve to it.
    This thread might help you understand the workflow: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=55209

You don't have to unwrap the highpoly, just the lowpoly. You can get a lowpoly by either optimising what you've got now (collapsing some edge loops etc) or by using retopology tools in zbrush or whatever. Only make the lowpoly once you're done sculpting though.
  • Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Oh and don't forget the penis dude, very important
  • Nikko
    Lol...i won't model a pe@#$

i plan to put a pants & t-shirt later on

any tips to start sculpting?
  • Nikko
    My first zbrush sculpt!! took me 2 days palying around with it
    it'll be the hi-poly for the normal. I'm going to model a lower poly1 with clothes later.

zbrush1du9.th.jpg

i'm still newbie at zbrush any advice from more advance/ exp artist is welcome

need to improve skill in modelling & sculpting

thx
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, good work so far. I really like how the head turned out.
    Your porportions seem pretty good to me, but like Jaco said, it still is looking stiff, and the placement of some things looks off as well.

I'm no pro or anything, still learning myself; but I think I can help a little.

First off, I suggest you check out this site of Andrew Loomis's work, download it, and go through the books. It has helped me soooo much, and I used to do the exact same thing as you with these kind of models. http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/

What I think should be altered...

-The shoulder muscles should flow into the arms and not be so seperated.
    They should be more round and not have that point.

-A natural pose of the human body curves back and fourth like I show in the pic. Its not as stiff
    as Jaco pointed out.

-The hip area looks a little off. Feel how close your hips are to your rib cage and that might
    give you a better idea. Look at a human skeleton for reference.

-There should be no gap in the crotch area. The hamstrings should go right up into the gluts there. The gap is really only in the front part as the hams and gluts fill that gap in the back.

GuysAnaStudyPolycount.jpg

Again, this is awsome work for your first time around so keep at it. I also suggest you check out other peoples work around the boards for reference as well. Jacos stuff is a great place to start!
  • Nikko
    thx for the constructive comment!

i know it's a bit off so right now i try to bake the normal & fix the anatomy in the lowpoly model

hopefully i can finish this & my other practice project

question: how to do the skin texture? manually paint/ cut & paste from real photograph?

thx
  • Michael Knubben
    Nikko: no need to censor the word penis, you know.
  • Spock

First off, I suggest you check out this site of Andrew Loomis's work, download it, and go through the books. It has helped me soooo much, and I used to do the exact same thing as you with these kind of models. http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/

Ya know it's funny, becuase this is the exact site my Figue Drawing teacher must of pulled our worksheets from.

Kinda funny, but whatever the case, excellent books to learn from no doubt!