First Post (character)

Lowpoly Mesh
DimpleRender02.jpg

W/ normal map
DimpleRenderNormaled.jpg
Dimple_Bump02.jpg

Normal + Wireframe
DimpleRender01.jpg

I created the normal map by make a high poly sculpt in Zbrush, then used the Zmapper. but as you guys can see after I apply it to the low poly mesh some weird artifacting happens.

If anyone knows the solution to this issue, or maybe even a better way to create normal maps from a high poly sculpt, I'd be very appreciative :D

In any case, I'd love any advice so please don't hold back.

- 樂

Replies

• timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    First thing I notice is that your normal map isn't really doing much. If your going to make a normal map make sure to try to work on bringing out all the details of the face, don't just smooth out the base mesh and use it as a normal map.

I use Zmapper myself and it turns out fine but I also use a modfied file for zmapper. I think its called 3dsmax8modfiedE.zmp. This works if your using max.
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    ..and your normal map is object space normal map. You need tangent space normal map for the character.
    Object space normal map is for objects thats not visible from diferent angle of the camera in engine.
  • hjd_uk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <pedantic>
    Object-Space Normals are fine for objects that are not going to rotate in the world. Eg a statue fixed in position in the world.

Tangent-Space normals are needed if the character or object is going to be skinned / animated / dynamic. Or it is duplicated in different orientations around a world, ergo mostly everything.

Most engines don't bother with supporting object or world space normal-maps because there is no real advantage to using them over tangent-space.
    </pedantic>

As for the artifacts, not so sure about that sorry.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And with object space, you have to have certain features to support tiling, have to keep the same geometry, etc. So 99.9% of normals today are just tangent space.
  • Sun5un
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I learned a lot. no idea how long it would have actually taken me to realize the difference between tangent space and object space :D

In any case, here's another crack at it. Please don't hold back.

DimpleWire02.jpg

DimpleWire01.jpg

- 樂
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that the normal map on a low poly base mesh? If so, I think your base mesh needs to be optimized a lot. You have at least twice the polygons you need.

What is the triangle count on this?

It's difficult to tell, but it looks like the ears are too far back and too high. Should include a profile view in your next post.
  • Sun5un
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, dolemite, that is a normal map, here it is side by side.

DimpleWire04.jpg

and here is a profile you asked for:

DimpleWire03.jpg

The tri count is 2,576.
    If I do ever rig and make this guy game ready it'll be for the unreal 3 engine. Not like, you know... WoW or something.

Also, this is a painting of the character I'm modeling I did a few weeks ago.
    Dimple401.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    wow that painting is amazing! loving it! he does look a little girlish though, i thought it was a girl until i read "make this guy game ready" :P. (the model doesn't look like a girl at all though, i was about to mention that it looked a little boyish ;).)
    keep it up!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I thought that concept was a girl Lee?

For the eyes, in the normal map, the lids are a little wonky. It looks like the lower lid is curling into the eye for some reason.

i think your typology is off to, for you have more polies around the nose and moth area then in the eyes. Looks like some smoothing issues because of that. .
  • Sun5un
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true wrote: »
    I thought that concept was a girl Lee?

For the eyes, in the normal map, the lids are a little wonky. It looks like the lower lid is curling into the eye for some reason.

i think your typology is off to, for you have more polies around the nose and moth area then in the eyes. Looks like some smoothing issues because of that. .

Hmm... very true about not enough loops around the eyes, I will get on that.

Thanks for the advice paul.