Home General Discussion

Gyro Ball

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
My wrist has started bothering me again. Playing Diablo 2 probably isn't helping any. Our sound guy suggested picking up a Gyro Ball and let me use his.
df.jpg
It supposedly helps with wrist pain due to prolonged computer use. I haven't been using it all that much, but can tell it really works the wrist out good and I'm quite certain it would help. I wanted to let people know about these, because a hurt wrist can really fuck with your work day. I'm wondering if anyone reading this has used this apparatus for wrist pain and what they thought of it?

Replies

• Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    I picked one up a year ago and after about a week I finally got to use it (seriously, I had no idea what I was doing wrong) and it worked really well for my wrist.

I don't keep up with it because the novelty wore off, which I should, since it helped a lot.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better than the squeezy balls. Those gyros are fun, haven't played with one since my older bro got one years ago. Makes sense though, you really need to wring your forearm muscles to keep it going.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    There was one in a studio I worked at. We had contests to see how many rpm we could get it too.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Fuck these are a ton of fun! I remember my GF trying it when I got it - she could barely make it run but the counter had a hiccup so she accidentally broke the world record haha.

Are the finally doing the all-metal one?
    Powerball ftw.
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, my left wrist bothers me occasionally, but only if I bend my hand backwards. If it gets any worse, I'll consider picking up one of these.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I still swear by the Evoluent vertical mouse when it comes to reducing mouse related wrist pain
    vm3_sm.jpg
    http://www.evoluent.com/vm3.html
    Plus I've migrated entirely to using my graphic tablet for work in Maya.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey guys what would you think about starting The Ergo Thread? A place where links to all these handy tools or tips would be posted. I've used quite a few of these things over the years, and I'm sure many folks would love to share their own experience with such devices.

Jack : I got one of these too ... but I made the mistake of ordering a leftie one (being left handed myself). But just a few days after getting it I decided to switch mouse hand - using my right hand for mouse stuff and keyboard shortcuts, and eft one exclusively for stylus use (since I do everything with it : file browsing, 3d, aso)

So I think I might sell mine if someone wants it. Couple weeks of use maximum.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Tully got one of these a year or so ago, we both used it for a week or two, but I only really did because it was fun :)
    Haven't touched it for months now. Then again, I don't really ever get any hand/wrist pain (except if I've been playing Quake 3 for hours, I think I really get quite tense when doing that, so I tend to press down on keys far harder than I would usually).

Probably good for exercise and it can't be bad for you, I think, but if you actually do have some RSI/carpal tunnel symptoms, or just hand/wrist pain after you've been at a keyboard or wacom for a long time, then you should really look at getting a wrist brace or a "natural" keyboard (preferably one of those which is cambered backwards so your hands kinda rest over it rather than being slanted up against it). Those things will probably do more good than a powerball.

Also it might seem obvious, but getting the height of your chair/desk set up well is a really simple fix too if you're getting some RSI symptoms. A lot of the time I've heard people have made wrist pain go away or reduce it just by changing the height of their chair, because that means your wrists rest at a different angle on the desk.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    can't you just masturbate?
  • benclark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the Gyroballs are pretty good and make everyone within a half mile really competitive, but if you have wrist pain already I imagine its just gonna make it worse

I broke a couple of bones in my hand and get some nice sharp pains in there when using a mouse. Check these out...

http://www.pukme.com/

they look very gimmicky but really helped for my poor wee paw
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    How much for them ergonomic friendly things ???
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i bought mine off of amazon.com
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    i never have had a pain in the wrist, but i must say that when i'm drawing too many hours (don't ask me how many..), i feel a little pain on my hand. Some time without drawing and solved.

The best way to avoid problems are a good position while working. Too many people have bad habits.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    can't you just masturbate?

...and to think this topic made it through 10 posts before the masturbation card was played. We might have a record breaker here.