Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wiimote.

Working on this a little this morning. Just a couple of questions to all of you. As of right now the buttons are all separate objects. I was wondering what would be the best way to make the little bevels for the buttons to sit in. Should I just duplicate the object and Boolean out the duplicated object? Also as of right now on the top and bottom it is a multi-sided polygon(N-gon or whatever.). What would be the best way to take care of that? Triangulate it?

Wiimote1.jpg

Wiimote.jpg

3. What are those weird shadows?
Wiimote2.jpg

I know there are a few questions, but help would be great! :poly108:

Bye.

Edit: Just wondering, is there a way to make an object in Maya that is the exact dimensions of the Wiimote? Instead of just eyeballing and resizing it to look about right?

The body of the Wii Remote measures 148 mm (5.83 in) long, 36.2 mm (1.43 in) wide, and 30.8 mm (1.21 in) thick

Replies

• LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    What are those weird shadows?

Quite probably unwelded vertices.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Try playing with your smoothing groups to get the edges more rounded... can i see a wire frame?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    to get rid of those weird shadows, you need to soften the normals. If you have maya 8 or above, you do that by going to: Normals>soften edge

That should remove those shadows, and it will give you a nice smooth look.

And for getting it to be 5.83 in long, 1.43 in wide, and 1.21 in thick, just go into the channel box and set the length (could be either x or z depending on which way you modeled it) to 5.83, yet y to 1.21 and set the remaining one to 1.43.

That will give you perfect dimensions, but you may need to tweak the model a bit after that.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    also create measure tools to check lengths and distances, hold v to snap the points to a usefull vertex
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally avoid booleans, if you want beveled holes for them to sit in your better off cutting the geometry yourself.

How have you built this, some wires would help give more advice.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As per request some wires.

WiimoteWireframe.jpg

WiimoteWireframe1.jpg

How do you create measure tools? Thank you Joopson, I might try this tomorrow.
  • Quokimbo
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Thats a shit load of wasted polies on those buttons there. You modeled them right into the mesh, which is a bad idea (when it comes to UV mapping that will suck badly too) and you even modeled the bottom of them, when they are never seen.

The speaker is the worst thing there though. The speaker is actually indented in with a hole, it doesnt stick out. So you have a choice. Either model the hole into the base mesh (Correct if you want uber high poly) or just texture the hole on the surface. Given the fact this mesh si so low poly (Just because you throw loads of polies at it, it does NOT make it high poly), I would say remove the speaker surfaces and jsut texture it on.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The buttons and holes are not permanent...I had some questions about the Wiimote body and what I could do to make it look better, the buttons just give you an idea of what it will look like.

So how would I do the holes? Just Boolean them out? Someone posted cut your own? Would I use the split poly tool?

I know the buttons suck and are wasteful as hell, just wanted to get an idea or two on how to do the buttons before I started them.
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd texture the holes if I were you. You could do those grooves at the base of the buttons with a normal map. I might be wrong suggesting this, but if you added a square to the wiimote's geometry at the base of every round button you could reuse that part of the texture 7 times with a bigger square for the power/home buttons, since they have a bigger groove). most of the wiimote is just white space so adding a little extra geometry might let you make the most out of any textures you use.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK here is what I have done.

Tried the checker thing, and should I make my own or use the Maya one? I just used the Maya one, and the automatic mapping tool and this is how it looked. How do I align those checkers?

checkeredwiimote.jpg

Around the corners, there is a little messing up a bit. I used the Normals>Soften Edge, and it made the edges look sooo much better. Thanks for that tip!

Wiimotetexture.jpg

Well the checkered thing looked ok, besides around those edges, so I thought I might try a texture on it, adjust the buttons where needed, but when I scaled down the wiimote texture, the Home, and Power look blah, the holes look ok. Also what is up with those edges? It is the same place they messed up on the corners where the checkered parts were messed up.

If anyone was wondering here is the UV map.
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/Wiimote-1.jpg

Link to the picture I am using as a texture.

http://www.wiichat.com/attachments/nintendo-wii-chat/324-wii-dashboard-wii_remote5view_0501.jpg

It is huge!

Any help? How should I set up my UV's? Should I try to make some geometry to make the dips around the buttons? Why can't texturing be like modeling? It is a pain!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    You should handle this piece less like a low poly game model/texture, and more like a high detail model with materials. Not sure if that makes sense, so I've included examples!

Thing to note: technical accuracy, realistic materials, nothing pixelated. The thing about doing pieces like this, you're either going to get something that looks real or something that looks like crap, and it has a lot more to do with your final materials and render.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=430717

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=392794

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=168048
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really do not want to model it now...man that Wiimote looks good!

And I know nothing about how to render things correctly. I just click the render view button, then the little clipboard in the top left.