Homeโ€บ Contests & Challenges Archives

"Mod Facade" Challenge - EricV- Harlem/NY Style Apartment

bluekangaroo
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
Id really like to get in on this seeing as environment art is what I want to get into and Id love to get feedback and learn as much as I can from this.

Heres some of my ref. I think Ill combine different elements from each and create something unique

294409028d7d2018ea1brg4.jpg

298546224e2f6699fc9bzf0.jpg

4497482237c63deb561bjx6.jpg

2072934360d35ba20aeebvd5.jpg

469310971b65407c35dbux8.jpg

Replies

• bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakdowntj1.jpg

And here is my thinking of how Im going to break this down texture space wise and what is modular in this thing. Im thinking of having all sorts of graffiti tags on the bricks and I figure this is the best way of going abouts it since I can put the tags right on my diffuse/spec and wont have to resort to Unreal 3's decal actor which doesnt always wield the best results (or at least I havent figured it out completely)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I also agreed in building person's viewpoint.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    hmm thats a lot of windows. Maybe making the pieces a bit wider and remove one row of windows?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm thats a lot of windows. Maybe making the pieces a bit wider and remove one row of windows?

yeah they are lol. Ive decided to go in the opposite direction and add a few more windows since my facade was a looking a little thin and wimpy in my opinion. I agree its alot of windows but ill just have to be creative in how much variations(maybe fewer than 4, we'll see) i have and how i budget my texture space.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooftrimcloseup2qm9.jpg

rooftrimcloseupcx6.jpg

ok think im just about finished the high poly trim fro the roof, and im thinking of going the same route for the windows...and then the bricks will just be normaled thru the nividia photochop filter.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lowpolywire01cq2.jpg

lowpolywire02il4.jpg

here is just a little update....

right now as it stands im at 7, 470 triangles. so still a lot of room to maneuver i think. I just wanted to show an update before i go ahead on the windows. Im wondering if its best for the sake of this contest and for texture space to just have 1 window variation repeated. I mean, after playing tonnes of gta4 ive seen so many buildings in the game that reuse the same window over n over and it still looks fantastic(imo) or should i go with 2,3, or 4 variations as originally planned to spice things up?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say atleast 2 variations here, you've got what, 30+ windows here? You could do somethere where you have 2 unique windows, each with different trim and then different window bit, but with that you could reuse it to get 4 different windows, by swaping the trim and inner window bit. Or 3 vars = 6, etc etc. All the windows in gta being the same lame texture with crappy painted on reflection really annoyned me to no end, graaaaaaa!!!!!!

If you dont do any varaitions you have to do a pretty generic window, or add more detail with decals etc. But really, with 2048 i dont see how you would have any problems doing a few variations here. Maybe it would be worthwhile to add in some trim inbetween each story as well? i think that will help break up the enevitable tiling you're going to run into here.

Also dont you dare say nvidia filter again! Get with the times and get yourself a copy of crazybump.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, looking at how you plan to do your textures i think you'll be doing WAY WAY to many tiling brick textures, you could really just do one nice one, and offset each story a little so different detail shows up there, if you think about it the windows cover up like 80% of hte wall surface, so offseting each story a little would show off a different chunk of detail. At most make it twice as tall, and give yourself a lot of room to offset uvs both up/down and left/right.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright. Instead of off setting each story I gave them a little more height and threw in a couple trims between stories 1 and 2 and 5 and 6 ...upon further inspection my scale was off so that was fixed. I think i might add in some more trim between stories but a little less prominent than what i have already just for some more interest. and yeah i think a few variations are the way to go with this EQ.

I need a little help now tho before going forward with this....I originally planned to have this thing be a one sided true facade(A) that you could just slide in between some other building and it would fit nicely. But recently ive been thinking it would be pretty cool to add in another side(B) to give it some more depth and add cool things like a walk sign/street lights or other signs. Or to just keep that extra side mostly blank but have some huge painted ad or somthing on the side(C)

oh and B is at 14, 124 tris....so with 5000 tris to spare i think that should leave me enough room to add in a few props

Which do you all like best?

buildingvariantseg5.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    very cool! i vote B or C. C only because of the greentooth though ;). IMO B is the best.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B is definitely the most compelling. Though I feel there are TOO many fire escapes? Maybe 1 per side would be good? Which would also free up more polys.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Looking great - minor crit just because I've seen several hundred of these over the last few years...

The fire escapes need either a drop down ladder or a drop down staircase at the bottom - in yours they'll have to jump from the 1st floor. I think you had them in early shots.

Secondly, I'm not seeing any Air-con units. These are extremely common, even looking at the ref images you posted I can see dozens of them.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great - minor crit just because I've seen several hundred of these over the last few years...

The fire escapes need either a drop down ladder or a drop down staircase at the bottom - in yours they'll have to jump from the 1st floor. I think you had them in early shots.

Secondly, I'm not seeing any Air-con units. These are extremely common, even looking at the ref images you posted I can see dozens of them.

in my world people have to break their ankles and knees to prove if they truly want to live
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    that sounds like a hard knock life
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha... your world sounds a lot like real life...

on a serious note though, im loving it!

it's brilliantly detailed. helped me realize how huge the poly limit was, and got me pushin more tris per asset in my own pieces =D

keep it going. would love to see this done!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just wanna post a little update on some of the hi poly assets im working on....im going to have to go into crunch mode right now if i want to get this done on time. from top to bottom.....AC unit, Traffic Light(incomplete), pedestrian walk/dont walk sign, and window plus frame. Working on finishing up traffic light plus a couple signs and the street lights as I speak

hipolyassetsgs8.jpg
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    looking good but one quick crit on the window. You might want to take a closer look at how a window is made. With the current high poly you have you wont be able to crack a window open halfway for mounting the ac unit. Usually the window is 2 sections where the bottom slides up on a different track then the top section.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah... i made another hipoly window opened up that fits the ac inside, just forgot to post it
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the NY style man. I can't wait to see the whole thing put together.

I have a question about your high-to-low poly windows. Are your current windows part of the wall piece? Or are they floating? Will you float the low poly baked window in the hole? I'm gonna try some high poly stuff too on mine and I'm trying to figure out how to get from a repeated section of wall that includes the window to baking just the window part.
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot polycounter lvl 12
    Really like the HP assets you have going right now. The bent vents on the AC unit is a nice touch.

The bit of graffiti on ideation C is really nice also. Maybe a slightly shorter building off to the right side that a tagger could get up on the roof and tag that large brick surface from would allow you to pull together all the elements you had mentioned.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the NY style man. I can't wait to see the whole thing put together.

I have a question about your high-to-low poly windows. Are your current windows part of the wall piece? Or are they floating? Will you float the low poly baked window in the hole? I'm gonna try some high poly stuff too on mine and I'm trying to figure out how to get from a repeated section of wall that includes the window to baking just the window part.

from the screenshot i took above those windows are part of the wall piece...what ill do i think is just bake 1 window then layer the window uvs on top each other. the end piece will have some floating pieces, not all
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres an update on the hi poly traffic light. Some small details have been fudged for lack of better reference and to save time, but i still feel this'll look dandy when it all comes together.

hipolytrafficlightdonesvx0.jpg

Also thank you for all the replies and helpful critique. I appreciate them all....

Rick, air con units and drop down ladder are done and done.

Turnerboy, I took off the fire escapes on the right side, there was a few too many I agree

Right now im finishing some low poly modeling and ploughing thru the unwrapping at the same time. Hopefullly I can post the baked low poly in a couple days and get started on the textures
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keep after it man its coming together nice!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keep after it man its coming together nice!

thanks alot dude, yours came out real nice in the new night time render as well
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I was watching some episodes of Flight of the Conchords today and was reminded of your entry. It looks a lot like the building the guys live in in NY. The high poly light pole looks sweet!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was watching some episodes of Flight of the Conchords today and was reminded of your entry. It looks a lot like the building the guys live in in NY. The high poly light pole looks sweet!

ive never seen Flight of the conchords b4...gonna have to give it a look...and thank you!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here's a lil break down of where I'm at right now..first shot: screengrab with wires
    second shot: quick render with baked normals and AO....and third shot is how it all looks inside UnrealEd

I Still haven't decided if Ill go with a nighttime or daytime shot...maybe ill do both

wip01fu4.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great dude!

the very top trim (little boxes under the sofet) looks good, but it seems like the corners are lacking the detail. I know the same sort of boxes probably wouldn't work, but putting something up there would be cool.

Maybe a gargoyle of some sort?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha gargoyle ehhhh...
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good, but quick question, for your ao lightmap did give each peice in the final building it's own uvs or did you just give each modular peice its on uvs and then tiled them across?

If that makes sense...
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ended up having the modular pieces overlap so they share the same uv space...there are a few pieces that have there own uv space tho....so a little of both I guess
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres an update on where im at with the textures...

edit. nvm

wip04oj8.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Looks great man, nice work.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, this is very nice
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great dude! I'm envious.
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quality work. nice job, although a lot of the graffiti you would need a step ladder to paint. I mean they do stuff like that irl but something about it seems strange.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work Eric! Really like the look of this and the street details you have going.

Not sure if your still taking crits but I've got a few minor crits.

The windows don't have cill stones. If you check your reference or any reference for that matter you will have a harder time finding windows that don't have some sort of cill stone. Also with the window depth you have going there would be quite a bit of dust collecting and you would get some dirt runoff.

You have some sweet graffiti on the bottom but it's doesn't follow up the fire escapes. When I was making my facade all the really tagged buildings usually had graffiti going up the fire escapes as well.

The ac units seem a bit big. It's apparent you did this to fill the space but with your windows being large single windows they look like there about 3 x 4 ft compared to the fire escapes.

great job!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    This is looking kickass so far!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you everyone for the kind words!

Ironhawk: of course, always accepting and appreciate criticisms...it comes with the territory.

Im guessing by cill stones you mean the bricks dont go in as much...i didnt catch that. Also: Id love to have graftti going up the fire escapes but I had to choose between res and unique space, sooooooo no grafitti going up the stairs i guess =/
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cill stones are a small ledge below the window. sometimes there done by putting bricks on end or using concrete/cast stone. If I wasn't at my IT job id just do a reference paintover. Some links will have to suffice. Brick is least expensive solution where concrete or cast stone is more spendy.

litestone_image.jpg

precast-sills2.jpg

http://www.apexbrickcutters.co.uk/architectural_cast_stone.html
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh....gotcha! Alright Ill post an update by the end of the day.... working on the sidewalk, tweaking the grafitti and adding a dirt pass as we speak
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I think I'm calling this done for now. If there is anyone who disagrees speak now or forever hold your peace. Amen

Ironhawk: I originally opted to have no window sills around the windows as I had collected some ref with buildings without and I thought it looked alright, but after adding them I think it adds that extra bit of spice...soooooooo HI5 good call! Oh also I tweaked the ac's n scaled em down a bit

Final trianlge count came out to 14, 191

As for textures....

3 2048x2048 (Diffuse, Spec, Normal) and a dinky lil 1024x1024 opacity

Baked in shadows and no lightmap or fancy shmancy post processing used....just a couple lights and thats it!

Also: I will probably bring this into UnrealEd but that'll be just for myself soooo AdamB, Jesse; consider my render below to be my final entry. PLZ and THANK YOU!

hope everyone likes!

allmapscompjpgen9.jpg

wireframecompjpglx5.jpg

diffusecompjpgkw0.jpg

speccompjpgjl9.jpg

normalcompjpgqq9.jpg

opacity001jpgqd0.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn nice job Eric!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looks amazing, but i dont get why the bricks have that high specular, also they could be less "washed out" and less flat imo , but damn nice job
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Turnerboy n Johnny!

Johnny Ive too much respect for your skills not to listen so I worked on the normals a bit....I think theyre a little less flat now and I turned down the spec as well. NOW im done!

allmapscomp03jpgul1.jpg
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great, but the texture space for the lowest level wall seems a big small and doesn't seem like it would hold up if a character were to be standing next to it; but looks goof from here, so hard to say.

Probably would have used the tiling brick on the lower half and just made decals out of the grunge and spray paint.

Also just curious what does your light map look like or did you ditch it? Seemed to work on the grey shaded version, hehe.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    amazing! love how this turned out! congrats!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good Eric congrats!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good Eric congrats!

thank you