Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3DBuzz Mapping Contest Entry

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
Hey Guys, I have 7 days remaining in the contest and I thought I'd share with ya all what I have been working on since June 1st. 3DBuzz has a contest to create a Deathmatch level using ONLY stock assets, textures, etc from UT3. You are allowed to make custom materials, particles, etc but you aren't allowed to import anything from an exterior application.

I went back to UT2004 and looked at all the classic maps and came up with a space freighter level hurtling through space being attacked by 2 other ships in pursuit. At the moment, the rear of the ship & the mid walkway sections are complete and pathed, now I'm moving onto decorating the front of the ship, then scripting the battle outside.

Enough explaining, here's the pics :)

Main entrance for rear of the ship
ShipRearMainArea.jpg

Main entrance for underneath the floor forcefield
ShipRearMainAreaUnder.jpg

The Engine Room lower level
ShipRearEngineRoom.jpg

Engine Room upper level
ShipRearEngineRoom2.jpg

Corridor leading to outside & Engine Room
ShipRearCorridor.jpg

Current state of the level is about 60%, still need to decorate the front of the ship and outside. Then script the battle outside.
ShipCurrentProgress.jpg

as always crits and comments are encouraged.

Replies

• Mil0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks interesting.
    Two main things are bugging me.
    1. In a few shots where the wall meets the floor it is very much plain and boring. I know there has got to be molding somewhere in those UT3 packages, i just forget where. Breaking up those long straight edges with some static meshes and decals/debris will make a huge difference, and help the world look used as opposed to staged.
    2. Im not sure what is going on in the lighting. I am guessing you have some sort of bright skylight going on there or something. Im not sure, anyway UT is all about the color, I havent looked at the contest but I imagine if they want a UT map, they wont want GoW colored lighting.

All crits aside, it looks like it is coming along nicely. If my new PC arrives in the next 7 days I may just have to build one myself. ;)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, someone else commented on that on the official forum for the contest, I'll go back and give it some details after I have detailed up the front of the ship. thanks for the crit Milo.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Lee! I think it is looking really cool so far, looks like it will turn out to be a really fun level. What are you planning exactly for the outside of the ships? Will the gravity be lowered? Will you have force fields seperating the inside/outside parts like that one map? The gameplay for the shots you posted I imagine would be decent, you might want to throw in some sort of thing to mix up the monotony of running around on the floor, like maybe jump pads, or maybe the ship went through an anomoly field and warped/damaged a part of the ship, maybe you could use the terrain editor on the metal floor.

Also, place those weapons and items, and give us an eagle eye shot to see the layout completely. Keep us updated. My 13 yr old students here at IDTech Camp will have submissions by the end of Friday! Be afraid!! :)
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    if you need any play testing help pm me bro. ill give it a run through with ya.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady: sweet! you should post their submissions online for us to play. I haven't had a a lot of time to work on this with work having ramped up. I'm doing it more to get back into hobby mapping.

IronHawk: Oh I will be asking anyone with UT3 for some play testing crtis :) when I hit Alpha
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey looking good man, I too am entering it over at buzz. So Good Luck!
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not sure but.. the yellow lights don't seem to be casting any yellow light? The blue ones seem to do it though... eh.. cast blue light that is.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mtg_kirin wrote: »
    hey looking good man, I too am entering it over at buzz. So Good Luck!

yeah I saw your entry over there too, looks great btw. I haven't had much feedback on my entry at 3DBuzz forums which I kinda expected. Polycount is where you get constructive crits without the fluff.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So its been almost a month since I last updated, level took a back seat for a bit while I helped on Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway. Back on Aliens again :D

Map is approaching Beta status, YAY!

Things left to do before beta release:
    - finish scripting battle outside
    - finish placing items
    - test bots with gravity volumes

ninevehBetaShot1.jpg

ninevehBetaShot2.jpg

ninevehBetaShot3.jpg

ninevehBetaShot4.jpg

ninevehBetaShot5.jpg

ninevehBetaShot6.jpg

ninevehBetaShot7.jpg
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    No wonder you've been busy.

Holy hell, these shots are amazing! I wants. I can be your tester. :P

This map appears easy to follow for Death Match. And the use of color is great. I want to play this, and I rarely play UT3. I loves space maps.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll definitely be looking for testers :) as some of you mentioned. btw these are all stock assets and textures. I just made my own materials and FX nothing has been imported. (which was the rule in the competition)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    mmm tasty. :D looking forward to seeing it lee.. :D