Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Various Buildings(Image Heavy)

Replies

• zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks very fimilar..I remeber when I did freelance 3 years back Bungie had me take a test for a prop artist position of a generator. The concept looked just like that. Your turned a lot better then mine :)
    salman_fas wrote: »
    An art test without a job
    unscrender.jpg
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    (which I did and done this in 3 weeks, spent around 50 hours).
    The generator looks good, but the amount of time taken on it completely voids that out. If you didn't receive an offer that's probably why. Your stuff is getting much better though, just focus on your work flow and speed.

Cheers
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerafian: this was for a 9month contract position.

gamedev: thanks man. usually I am not that slow but for this project I was being extra careful with each step. I agree that I took more time than I should have, but instead of simply telling me that this piece doesn't reflect the amount of time taken they told me "it wasn't upto the quality bar they wanted and they didn't understand design choices made on the sides not visible in concept. some lines in diffuse weren't crisp enough and looked like handpainted. this job requires lot of independant work and they can't have some one who need lots of directions"
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    it's a nice prop, but i have to agree with the feedback you got. the diffuse is you weak spot... the shading itself is good, but the materials and weathering don't look believable. Use more foto references?
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    hey, real nice work!
    really liked the last building posted (With the green and white canopy things)
    I got a question; how did you do the reflected lights on the prop? Is it painted in on the diffuse, or shader-driven?
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks
    its just viewport grab turned to "high quality rendering"(maya). I used Blinn material. There is a directional light directly on opposite side to camera and those are small green point lightsl.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another WIP of the building I am making. Its using one 1024res texture so far. I will be making changes to the entrance area and will be using another 512res texture.
    bwip1.jpg
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    The Bungie test looks nice, but like other said the time it took is way too long. 50 hours is ok if you are not cutting corners, but 50 hours in 3 weeks is way to little time to spend on an art test.

When they say take your time, what they are probably doing is testing to see if you know how long is reasonable for something like this, and probably expect you to be working about 8 hours a day on it. which is about a week for 50 hours.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree but I have a full time job(continuous factory work) and one hour of driving to get to work. It was contract position anyways so its not a big deal.

EDIT: I will keep these points in my mind on my next test:)
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update on the entrance part, I feel like its still missing something.

bwip2.jpg
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah get some reference pictures.

I think it's missing a decorative arch on top of those columns, or a sign.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The repetition on the lower windows is a bit distracting... otherwise I think it's looking good.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    hey man. i hate to add to the chorus. because ur texture work is going really well. but those windows are totally out. sash (i think thats what they call them???) windows usually dont start until about waist high. if you look at the windows from the floor below they end too high up for the internal floor be low down enough for it to be at that height... its a stupid comment to make and the windows may well be just placeholders. but if it saves you having to go back later and redo it then thats all i was hoping to do :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I think for the windows you would have greater success with something with a very generic look with just standard frame and glass, then in unreal have a faked reflection plugged into it. then when you look at it from different angles it will help break it up and add detail while not looking super repeated.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    i think those windows' mapping is just temporary "placeholder", probably to set the uv layout first.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the entrance a bit. Matroskin is right that its placeholder texture and I have enough room in my texture map to make 3 different versions. Once I setup reflection material in Unreal it will look a lot better.
    bwip3.jpg
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had been a bit distracted by a few thing. I am back at it now.

I took the main part of the building in engine and here it is.I have hidden the entrance for now. I still need to work on those windows yet as I am not quite happy with the way those are looking.

bwip4.jpg