Home Contests & Challenges Archives

FPS weapon - Johny

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey everyone thanks for the awesome replys and critics :

tummerboy : well in the ref it is kinda like that the wood follows a somesort of "bulge upwards" ( my english is SHIT =) the area where the hammer strikes yeah would need a tad of scratching and some detail since it is what does the firing heheh. About the brushes when i get internet ill post them here if people want to use them, pretty simple stuff, for this texture i didnt even need to use my wacom ehheh...

Mop : thanks mate, about the scratches its a engine specific thing, i tend to apply scratches to the edges so that they receive more light, about the organic look i kinda am lost ehehe , but ill try to make it look better on my next weapon ( i actually mean it hehe)

Vitor : nem acredito que perdemos, e os espanhas a ganharem contra a italia nao se calam :(

S4tan : wow hehe i personally dont think it matches eq entry, this is a really simple wepn tho hehe , but im glad you like it :) ill be uploading the full rez textures then :)

Sooryy everyone for lack of reply, but at the place where im at now aint got netz :(
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    So we get the uber scratch brushes AND a look at the full size texture? Sweeet :)

Looks like its going to come down to either you or EQ on this one, and it'll be a close call too. Your texture seems more refined, but his model is more complex. Either way though, best of luck :)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    No problem I'd love to see your brushes Johnny . . . that sounds . . . odd.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    great work johny looking forward to the flatz
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    I think the real winner in the competition is the Marmoset engine.

Looking ace mate!
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    question:
    thats an object space normal right? why instead of tangent? if there is an answer to this in the normal map thread just let me know and i'll dig through that. thanks!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck: EQ goes over it in his weapon thread actually. To sum it up, object space maps are fine as long as the mesh doesn't deform, and the results are typically cleaner. the main drawbacks are no mirroring, and not all engines support them.

to quote:

"The reason object space props work for us is that we have a seperate level editor where we place meshes etc, so that keeps tracks of how the mesh is transformed and updates the lighting correctly.

If you just want to make some simple renders, or hell you could just be a little creative with how you light/place things in your scene for renders(rotate everything else, etc) object space should be fine."
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually you can deform object space maps as well. The shader just needs to support it. BF:Vietnam had object space maps on thier characters, and i'm pretty sure they deformed. =D People need to stop mis-quoting me and saying i said they cant deform!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, sorry about that EQ :P
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    cool thanks guys! yea i came across EQ's entry right after i posted - already bookmarked for further reading.