Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thor - God of Thunder

Replies

• TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Trying out some poses and what not. An animator friend is doing some cool ones I hope to end up using.

thor.jpg

thor_wirenrig.jpg

thor_textures.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback so far. There are things I would change but you know what they say, art is never finished, only abandoned. It's about time I get on with life.

konstruct: These are all viewport shots because I find the maya hardware shows normal maps how I want them. On the down side, no shadow casting. Anyway the hair sorts properly because of duplicate materials. When I see a problem plane I apply a duplicate to it. I think I have four duplicate materials. It's not ideal but there's no magic fix yet that I'm aware of.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good!

Man, you gotta do a pose where he's spinning the hammer and it has that helicopter blade effect:

http://powet.tv/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/new_thor.jpg
    Thor_1987_380_17.jpg

...and the flying by grabbing on to and holding the hammer strap right after he threw it:

Thor_1987_380_21.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey man you could have mirrored the arms and hands since you arent using unique sopace and you would save a ton of space , the hairs on his back could have done by poly strips and you pretty much wasted alot of space and almost gave no space for the armour etc, really badly distributed unwrap i would revise this , but still you are pretty much finished so :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great but his butt is too small.
    Seriously a man built like that is gonna have some gluteous MAXIMUS.
  • Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    Looking pretty cool - should make that Midgaard Serpent as well - pose them fighting. Would be dope
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    AH, dang I use max, but I wonder if the same applies. anyway- thanx for the info,
    GOD I HATE MAKING HAIR >_< especially when I see someone nail it like you did.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Yuh I'm sharing the same feelings with Johny about the lack of use of your unique uv space :( Like it looks like you mirrored the texture exactly (arms).

Also the EYES are killing me right now, super awesome model with this Anime-ish type eyes, can you make em smaller? (like the pupils / iris).

Also, I feel as though the model itself is just awesome man, but personally... the textures are letting it down, no so much the skin / face (that looks great) but the armor. Personally, i feel as though its fairly boring. If you're gonna keep it like that, then for your final pose, have him holding the hammer across his chest or something so it kinda breaks up the symmetry.

Either way Tyler, this is probably one of my favs from you so far (although i loved that yeti thing). Keep it up!
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    8ftSpider: That's cool. I'd like to do more poses. Maybe the hammer toss one with rain instead of speed lines. I've aimed to have him sort of ultimates and less funny marvel.

As for the UV space not always being mirrored - I know I've taken a bit of flak for that between this guy and the other. I enjoy having unique space for organic textures. The subtleties in the veins and things are nice and make a big difference to me. For production it won't happen but I also won't be using 2048s so ...whatever :) Might as well enjoy myself now.

Ancient Pig: I might see about having him fight Crusher. Since I have him nearly rigged also.
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GREAT MODEL!
    but i feel the blue plasma lights are so over used in video games today.. gets repetitive u know?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I really like that posed one with the biped in it....it would look sick if you rendered that
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, the first thing that pop into m mind when i saw this, was Congrats u manage to make Thor even more boring! Lol. It Feel too generic to my eyes, Is accessories dont have any details, or itneresting form, or any purpose to appeal to the eye..
    The texture over anything except the arm are pretty lacking. feel like a generic texture.. No intersting detail.. it would of shown less if there was more detail in the highrez there..
    Maybe thoses area are not done..

The face, the eyes pop to much, not in a good way, lips are a bit to pinky, make him feel a bit queer.. The hair would f rock as multiples alpha plane, feel very flat now, more like clothing.

hammer, torso, helmet, belt, boring boring, they feel too bland, they need more details. otherwise, its a waste.. Like nice litle swirlies or writing or whatever to show that hes a friken god , and that is armor is the best armor ever, made by fucking elf !

anyway
    nice start!
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Really great job on this!
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Hey ya got the beast done! nice!
    As to some of the critiques of other people they may have some good points but at least you finished the project. only critique, tone down the eye shine or brightness/ specular some, Looks good tho.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks good to me