Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hello. Polycounters. Looking for a website critque :)

AndyLittleton
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
AndyLittleton polycounter lvl 10
Hello.

I just graduated from the san francisco academy arts last week. Looking to do 3d environments for games, texturing, props.

Any recommendations of what jobs I should apply for?

Any recommendations that I should add or change on my website.

http://www.andylittletonart.com

Replies

• DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    A few things I noticed. The modeling and texture work is great imo. Just some presentation type crits.

-The wireframe lines are a bit thick on the helicopter, maybe make them a bit thinner.
    -People in HR who might be looking at your website may not be the most tech savvy people and have high res screens. Maybe make the images a bit smaller or open up a window when you click on the thumbnails.
    -I'd try to refrain from having my demoreel posted on youtube. See if you can get a higher quality to stream from your server? Most employers aren't going to take the time to download the high quality one if they're burning through websites looking at applicants.
    -on the resume, I'd put interests last.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    The artwork is really nice, but can I ask you for a small favor? Clean the windows on that Helicopter up. No self respecting Hind pilot would let his windows get that dirty unless all the grease monkey's were dead, and then he might even clean it himself! :)
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All your pages are named "Untitled Document" :(

I think your chopper is the strongest piece so far its really good quality. If you want to go for an environment position i recommend doing at least one more environment. the lighting on your temple piece is kinda confusing, i see some red but only a small piece of your window is actually red. The statue right now is not really coming off as the central piece of the environment, some improvement in the lighting and a more unifying color palette could make it tons better. Your architectural elements are also conflicting with each other, hieroglyphics in square pillars, rounded pillars in the back, stained glass windows and different types of arches. Your mech dude seems to be being lit from many different directions too.

Keep at it man! You definitely got some potential!
  • illybang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome stuff man! that helicopter is top notch.

anyways, noticed that you spelled "Corel" incorrectly on your resume. may want to change that.
  • AndyLittleton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndyLittleton polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for taking the time to take a look at my website everyone. These are very helpful critques. Even catching my small mistakes like spelling is helpful to me because I probalby would not have catched it.

PeterK- ya i agree i think i did push those grunge on the windshield to hard because the windshield still has to be somewhat visable to operate. I'll go ahead and clean that up.

Master V_12 - Ya im not to familiar with dreamweaver but i'll play around it more and figure out how to get rid of the *untilted documents*. Ya im definetly going to make a couple more environments. Im currently working on one environment in maya another one using the ut3 engine
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are using dreamweaver just go to modify>page properties and you should be able to mess around with the general settings of your page including the tittle :)
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Fixing the "Untitled Document" page title is even easier than that-- when you check out a page and open it in Dreamweaver, the Design window will have a tab and some buttons on top. In that row of buttons is "Title:" followed by a text entry box. Just type in your title there and save the page again, then check it back into the server! Dona and done!

Good work btw, Andy-- I remember the vast improvement in the environment that you showed us in Daniel's class last year. Weren't you working on an underwater RTS environment too? Maybe you could tune that more towards games, as you already had a lot of the assets for it from Bob Steele's class...

Plus, I agree with PeterK-- those windows are too dirty-- but you are already fixing that :)

Welcome to Polycount!
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    i don't know dreamweave but you can just open the pages up in notepad and
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <title>[COLOR=Red][U][I][SIZE=4][B]Untitled Document[/B][/SIZE][/I][/U][/COLOR]</title>
    <style type="text/css">

change it ;)

that's straight from your first page btw... should be in the same place on every page.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    mostly good work, you seem to have labelled some of your work "past gen"? is it wise to label something like that? is it even a word? does it maybe detract from the focus(the work itself) and make people think your not able to do it current gen? Im not sure if its necessary... wouldnt potential employers decide for themselves wether its done with older methods or new? Im no expert on this, maybe other polycounters can say :P
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Ged wrote: »
    mostly good work, you seem to have labeled some of your work "past gen"? is it wise to label something like that? is it even a word? does it maybe detract from the focus(the work itself) and make people think your not able to do it current gen? I'm not sure if its necessary... wouldn't potential employers decide for themselves whether its done with older methods or new? Im no expert on this, maybe other polycounters can say :P

I've yet to gain a job myself, but in the various interviews I've had, It's nice to be able to show that you can do "last-gen" (PS2/Xbox) work, in that you can show how well you can paint textures and understand lighting etc on a fundamental level. However, employers are looking for current-gen (PS3/360) art, so I would drop the "past gen" label until you have some current gen work to differentiate between the two. And even then, I would rather simply mention in the details that the assets were "made to PS2 spec" or something along those lines, because labeling it "past-gen" straight out does sort of give you a negative connotation, or it may very well give the recruiter the idea that you cannot do or haven't done current gen work.
  • kinikuR6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kinda feel that some of the textures your showing seem a bit stock.