Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Barrier Wall

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
Just finished my little side project of a highway barrier wall let me know what you think. C&Cs welcome of course.

Barrier.jpg

In UT3

BarrierinUnreal.jpg

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Woah very nice presentation at the top! What did you use for that? Very clean, loving it.
    (ps - thats one fucked up highway righ there haha)
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Its my Vray product shot scene. It gives my models a nice uniform background and i get nice shading and highlights
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice little piece, great amount of detail.
    Perhaps make the chipped bits lighter than the undamaged parts.
    Dirt and dust builds up on concrete, the chipped parts would reveal the fresh concrete underneath. You might also have to have to decide how old each piece damage is, making some lighter and some darker :D
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Its very convincing as a piece...now some hints of debris arrayed near the broken off parts with pieces lying around would work as well...
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    It's looking good - few notes though -

- wear and tear is a bit inconsistent. You've done a great job showing model wear and tear with chunks missing and exposed rebarb etc however the texture is very clean. Think about adding additional grime and dirt as well some build up at the base to better ground it when placed in an environment.

- specular needs some love. Right now its far too even making the surface look flat. Damaged concrete vs surface concrete vs paint stripes should all show different levels of specularity and really help break up the surface.

- consider using a detail normal map to give the surface fine detail.

- more pronounced normals and brighter specular (color specular) for the rebarb.

Just some thoughts. Keep up the good work.
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome model, very pro.

Quick paintover for crits:

barrierinunrealle4.jpg

Really depends how old you want it to be though. I was asuming it had been broken a while based on the rusty metal. If its only been through battle recently I would make the rebar more shiny and metallic where it has been exposed and scratched up, and also as said already make the areas of broken concrete lighter than the old surface, and also make those broken areas less specular.