Home General Discussion

MK Vs DC

Replies

• The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Looks cool, not a big fan of all the reused animations dating way back to MK Deadly Alliance though. I just hope the fighting system isn't completely broken like the last few MK's.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I hope they add more characters, like Doomsday and Shao Khan. The environments are looking great. I hope the fighting controls are like in the old mk2 so people other than gamers can enjoy the damn game. I think that's what ruined the newer games, the went in an changed the moves. Refering to MK4 and up. WTF. I hope the Fatalities are more like the ones in Mk1 and Mk2, in other word over the top. there is not point in saying rated M if they are not. If DC didn't want blood in the game they should of gone with Pokemon or Disney. WTF... LOL

To be Honest the best game would be Killer Instinct vs MK with freaking good fatalities. Why haven't you pros thought of this yet it can't be harder than building a Superman game.

Alex
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    It's a cool idea but art really lets it down.

The character modeling is pretty good from what I've seen. But man, the animations are a huge let down. They feel so stiff and mechanical. And they're recycling way too many animations. I mean, wtf, even idles are shared across the board. The characters are totally devoid of any character 'cause they all move the same.

Even with the constraints of game play balance, there so many fighting games out there have really nice, smooth, and dramatic animation.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jesse, your sig says you are at Raven? What's the story? Is some of the art being contracted out to Raven, or is your sig out of date and you are in Chicago?

Just curious.

EDIT: NM. I checked out your resume.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    SouL wrote: »
    It's a cool idea but art really lets it down.

The character modeling is pretty good from what I've seen. But man, the animations are a huge let down. They feel so stiff and mechanical. And they're recycling way too many animations. I mean, wtf, even idles are shared across the board. The characters are totally devoid of any character 'cause they all move the same.

Even with the constraints of game play balance, there so many fighting games out there have really nice, smooth, and dramatic animation.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This game looks absolutely horrible to me because of the animations. I think they were going for that old school MK animated style, but to me it just looks like crap and it's a total turn off when SC4 is out and Tekken6/SF4 are on the way.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, after seeing the other characters in action.. it looks stiff, like the older DA/Deception games. Fluidity is key to making an attractive fighter. A lot of the animations look like blends between poses in an instructional book.

Some of Joker's stuff fits him, but other things look odd.. like watching Stallone doing floor gymnastic exercises.. o.o;;
    There should be UNIQUE fighting styles for the characters.. Joker shouldn't know <insert martial art here>.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    OK so it's out on shelves now.

Haven't picked it up. Anyone here pick it up?

How is it?

mortal-kombat-vs-dc-universe-20080820114518084.jpg
    mortal-kombat-vs-dc-universe-20080820114527677.jpg

I am working on updating my site with all my latest work from this, Blitz, Rock Band and a few other titles. Some of my work is in the Bat Cave, Special Forces Hide Out and Oan Senate.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I'm gonna have to pass. Midway isn't getting anymore of my money for what looks like a recycled version of their last 3 MK games with a new skin on it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Feetal's Gizz! There's no Lobo? Figured he'd fit right in. Guess it's better this way, it'd be a shame to see the Main Man doing a T-rated finisher.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, does Quake 1 know Midway stole his blood particles...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, Quake 1 used single pixel textures for their blood and other particles. Snobby joke fail :(
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    unless it plays like MK2 or MK3 i won't be picking it up. Didn't midway also lay off the development team on MK vs DC?

Congrats on your game release Jesse!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    Actually, Quake 1 used single pixel textures for their blood and other particles. Snobby joke fail :(

Kids these days with their fancy video cards!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah there are some major downfalls to this game.

Many of them.

But hey it's a title shipped and I made some cool stuff.

Water under the bridge.

and yeah...big layoffs at Midway Chicago.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Hehe, congrats on making cool stuff.

Though I wouldn't call any major downfalls of this game as water under the bridge. The rest of us are still potential buyers, you know.. :poly121:
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    unless it plays like MK2 or MK3 i won't be picking it up. Didn't midway also lay off the development team on MK vs DC?
    Well not the whole MKvsDC team was laid off, though most that are still around are waiting to be assigned to their next project. The lead and senior character artists got laid off (one was at odds with management and the other wasn't very good, or so I've been told).

Anyhow, congrats on another shipped title Jesse :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't mean water under the bridge in the sense as in I don't care about this because this was an awesome game to work on and do some stuff for. More of doesn't really matter too much to me since I left a while ago to pursue other interests more so.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I actually liked the game, or at least what I got to play at my friends house. Maybe its because I havent played any of the more recent MK's so I dont have anything to really compare to...

but I thought the animations were quite nice, really fluid....again havent played too much SC4 or virtua fighter 5. So no comparisons there.

I only wish there were MORE DC characters, fuck...they coulda taken out the whole MK cast, filled it with DC characters, still call the game MK vs DC and id still be happy!