Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Graff Artist

So this is my first stab at realistic figures. I chose to do a Graffiti artist. I was looking to make a generic looking character that would fit a GTA 4 style , Skate, or other urban open world games. So if you could give me critiques it would really help. I still have a couple of months in school, so I am looking to improve.

z brush
2415145771_0d122922f2_o.jpg
max
2415146127_7510fffefa_o.jpg
variants
2415146089_7059a023d0_o.jpg
poly_count
2415968004_88ebeda8f6_o.jpg
render
2415968050_4ff80b3547_o.jpg

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The shape of the cans is completely wrong. they kind of look more like baby bottles.

Why would you put cans on his chest like that? Doesn't make much sense if you're trying for something realistic.

Also, on the side of realism and logic, most graffiti writers are middle class, caucasians.
  • R_Matey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I see what you are saying. I tried to use the cans to break up the mass and tried to stick it out on the sides to change the silhouette. But I have distorted it too much. It is also something I was borrowing from the Marc Ecko Getting Up main character. I will probably turn it into a back pack.

I made him African American to separate it from myself. But I see what you are saying.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Just have him carry them in a grocery bag, with a little piece of bread sticking out.
  • R_Matey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah , it would be more interesting with that kind of realistic twist.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    with a little piece of bread sticking out.

EXPLAIN NAO!
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    Hey R_Matey,

Great character. I really like the how the jeans and shoes came out. I would love to see the top of him plain with no sweater or shirt with some tattoos and him wearing a bandanna over his mouth since most graffiti artists wear white masks in order to not breathe the fumes anyways. I would lose the pink glasses, I never seen one with them, it seems you textured or modeled the eyes closed for some reason maybe thats why you put the glasses and since most graffiti artists might work at night it wouldn't make sense to wear dark glasses.

I agree with Slum that I wouldn't put the bottles on his chest I would just have one on his hand. And for a pose I would have him kneeing down, head turned, looking for cops.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Why would you put cans on his chest like that? Doesn't make much sense if you're trying for something realistic.
    Looks like a convenient way to carry them if he's going to be climbing around on trains or up to billboards and the like. Certainly a damn sight more practical than lugging around a bunch of cans in a plastic bag.

I can't see that race is remotely relevant. Every youth gets disenfranchised whether he's white, black, yellow, brown or red.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Damn Slum seems to know a lot about graffiti. Konstruct you better follow that guy around up there. I bet he is the dude tagging everything he sees. I thought I saw Slums name on a train when I was up there. Now it all fits.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    No, i actually write "I LOVE POTATO SALAD" with cherry colored lipstick.