Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Spunky Chick

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
sanhueza polycounter lvl 17
Hola! I'm making a new lowpoly character, starting with the head. My target budget is 2400 tris. I finished modelling the face/neck and unwrapped it. Next up is her hair. Looking for critiques!

chick_wire_01.jpgchick_uv_01.jpg
chick_checker_01.jpg

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice shape you have there.
    My crits would be the forehead could do with another loop in it to make it more bulbous and feminine and that your UV's seem to be evenly distributed according to the checker in the viewscreen but the edit window doesn't reflect that - this might be difficult to paint on and match seams.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    My thought is, why are you doing an area then taking all the way to unwrapp before you have the whole thing blocked in? This seems like it would limit you if you needed to make perportion changes ect ect.
  • Piotr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good. Strange aproach with the UVing before mode is done though.
  • sanhueza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP - Thanks! I added an extra forehead loop as you suggested. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the UVs. If the UVs look evenly distributed according to the checkers in the viewport, then that would be BECAUSE they are evenly distributed in the edit window, right? Any large gaps between UV points is because there is a corresponding distance between the verts on the model.

stimpack - two reasons:
    1) it was a nice break from modelling
    2) I've taken the unwrap far enough that any proportion or geometry changes will be very easy to fix on the UVs later.

Piotr - Thank you. I wouldn't do this with the whole model, but I think the face is a safe enough area to jump ahead on.

I got the chance to work on this some more last night. The head model is done, on to the body. I'll probably straighten out the ponytail when it's time to rig her, then position it with keyframes, but I modeled it the way it is now to block out the shape I wanted. I'm not sure yet if I will keep the ponytail a single solid object like it is now, or use alpha-ed planes. Any good suggestions from people experienced in doing hair will be very appreciated!

chick_wire_02.jpg
  • sanhueza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops, double post...
  • sanhueza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got most of the body done. On to the arms...

chick_wire_03.jpgchick_color_03.jpgchick_color_01.jpgchick_color_02.jpg
    chick_wire_06.jpgchick_wire_04.jpgchick_wire_05.jpg