Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gun modeling

523 Triangles

I first blocked out the general outline in Maya, then I replaced the outline with primary shapes still keeping the same shape, Lastly I furhter refined the model and softened and hardend the edges.

Please Critique and tell me what I could do differently!

Trey

Grit_Gun_by_rambolikesford.jpg

The UV Layout
guns_by_rambolikesford.jpg

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting shapes, but for a pistol, how are you supposed to aim? You've got a large chunk that is breaking up where you'd normally look down.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    this is actually the technique I currently use, so yeah if anyone has any advice on perhaps a better way it would be good to know.

you could however post some wire frame shots of the gun, which would help.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Well, you could work on your uv guide material, but the gun looks pretty good. I like your workflow for the model, I'll keep it in mind if I'm ever doing something similar :D.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    The process looks fine. I sometimes use splines to outline the shapes of things.

The UV's however look less than optmal.

Specifically that you're giving a lot of area on the map to some very unimportant areas on the gun, which will likely never be seen. The front lower portion of the gun and the front of the barrel have as much area as that large top piece. If this is a first person weapon, you'll never see the front of the barrel, and if its a third person weapon you'll never see it in any detail.

It would be good to see the UV layout itself too for placement and distribution crits, if you want them.