Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DarkSectology

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to see more enviro shots from you, these are really kick-ass, especially the stuff you added to your site. Small note, the Dark Sector link on your news page is bustored.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    I really like window of church with the statue!

But about your website, first I cannot stop the music and this is very difficult to understand the menu on the left side withe letters and inside each sub-sections... >_<...
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Holy crap, 2 pages of replies well deserved. Amazing details.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for all the comments again :)

sama.van - What, you don't like the background sound on my site ? that's... unheard of!
    Sorry, you can't turn it off :/ I plan on getting rid of it and redoing the menu sometime.
    The only part of the site you really want to see is what's under 'A' on the left menu, from there you go to the crucifix, all the buttons there have mouse overs, just let the mouse on them for a second.
    Alternatively you can go to www.strangefate.com/portfolio and ignore all the old stuff on the normal site.

EricC - Whoops, thanks... didn't see that.

dtschultz - It's all modeled. I sort of build them like you would model a hand, doing the palm then extruding the fingers and then going back to tweak the surface of the hand.
    The large upper leaf was modeled straight (the straight version in the image is a backup WIP only) and then subdivided it once and used the bend tool and some soft drag to shape it as desired.
    The ones on the bottom were modeled into place. Modo has some sculpt tools and lets you apple an airbrush falloff to any tool so it's easy to model something roughly into place and then use the brush to deform it into position.

Firethingyleaf2.jpg
    Firethingyleaf1.jpg

Frozan - Renders are made in modo. The setup is just a white background with AO, a warm light from a front/side (Orangish/sun colors) angle and a cold light (bluish) somewhere from the back.
    I use 4 materials when modeling, 3 grays and 1 black for the creases etc. Breaking up the hipoly model helps you figure out the final ingame materials and how all the details will stand out... it also makes them stand out more in renders, even if the gray tones are subtile.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Not only is this thread full of beautiful images I get to learn a bit from it too!! Amazing high poly work. Its so clean and has great style.

I don't suppose I could trouble you for a wire shot of that wall support with the woman head could I? The spiral and leaf bits are amazing I'm still trying to figure it all out!
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    There's a wire shot of it already in on my website :)
    mausoleum4.jpg
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Insanely awesome work man. Just incredible.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Very, very nice! Rather inspirational
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    So i saw this thread a while back, and thought "oooo badass stuff!" and i saved it for some inspiration on those rainy days. Didnt really think much more about it. I went to blockbuster the other day and rented dark sector, started it up and ran around blasting people..... Eventually i found myself taking cover (in the game) behind a big fountain....that happen to have mermaid horses.... by the second one i ran across i couldnt help think "where the hell have i seen this before?" low and behold, it was this thread =) very nice work, looks steller ingame, and makes a great item to hide behind from the shield guys =P