Home Technical Talk

Evenly-space UV verts in Max?

Haven't been able to find replacements for a couple tools that were in Chuggnut's UVTools script, which has problems but's been abandoned. Diego Garcia fixed it a little, but also abandoned it.

A tool to evenly-space selected UV verts along a line. The Sketch UVs tool that's already in Max does it, but it's a lot of clicks.

A tool that rescales the UV selection to fit within the 0-1 UV space. Pack does this, but also moves things around. Chuggnut's had a nice option to keep the current aspect ratio (use uniform scale) or ignore it (use non-uniform scale to make it fit exactly).

Also his Skew tool was pretty handy at times. This tree trunk is a good example.

Does anyone have anything like these floating around?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, I'll dig 'em up for you. They're at work so I'll have to get them tomorrow...

Mine are basically ripped out of Chuggnut's tools and tweaked a little, and set up as macroscripts for hotkeying.
    I have "i" as align vertical, "shift+i" is space evenly vertical, "o" is horizontal align, and "shift-o" is space evenly horizontal. "p" collapses to the average without welding.

I've also set it up so that it'll do edge selections too, so you can easily align loops without having to manually convert selection etc.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks MoP!

Yeah I tried ripping spaceU and spaceV too, but my maxscript skills are pretty weak. I'll try again though, on the 0-1 tool for a start.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Polyboost does this... Download the demo if you haven't already and your good for I think 30? Max sessions.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang, I gotta get that thing. Keep hearing good things about it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP, could you still send me your scripts? They sound very useful.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    or just post a link? smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry about the delay, kept forgetting to bring them home.

Here's a link for anyone who wants them:
    MoP's UV tools and misc scripts

As usual, just run the .ms file once from inside Max, then look in the Customize menu and you will find a new category called "MoP's Tools" with a bunch of commands in the list.

The "Align UVs of Loop" commands are basically the same as the "align uvs" scripts, but will also work on edge selections (it just converts the selection, runs the other script, and puts you back in edge mode) ... I could probably clean them up to work better but am too lazy smile.gif

In addition to the UV spacing/alignment scripts are some other ones for doing a connect with 2 or 3 edges (I have C as single-edge connect, CTRL-C as 2-edge, and SHIFT-CTRL-C for 3 edges), a grid double/half scaling script (like Hammer or Radiant's grids, I have it bound to [ and ] ).

Also there is a my soft selection falloff slider thing, and a relax UV script which uses my favourite settings (great in 99% of cases) and also re-scales the result accurately if you're using a non-square texture.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Good additions MoP, but I can't get the UV alignment keybinds to be recognized while I'm in the UV editor? Collapse works, but the rest don't seem to do anything right now. Any ideas?

I'll keep picking at it, hopefully I'll find something stupid I overlooked.

Scratch that, the alignment ones are working great. The spacing ones give me an error:
    '--Unkonwn property: "point3sort" in undefined'

I'm running Max 8, maybe that makes a difference. Either way I can live without them.

Thanks!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Weird, I'm on Max8 too and they work fine. I'll look into it...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    eh, no worries, the UV alignment is glorious enough to outshine anything that may not work.

Thanks a ton.