Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 2D - Labmonkey - Nameless

labmonkey
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
labmonkey polycounter lvl 9
This must be the first time ive posted on any forum in many, many years so i hope i dont screw anything up.

Anyway, i decided to join this years contest after having meant to do so the past 2 years and i decided to go for polycount because its the one forum i frequent the most and the one with the best logo (by far).

So heres some roughs i did initially to get a sense of the kind of character i wanted to do. pretty rough, quick stuff. i have alot more but most of those were so bad i can not in good conscience subject you to them.

sketch1.jpg

I liked the first one so i took him a bit further in a new sketch

sketch2.jpg

Not 100% sure im gonna go with this guy but he is starting to grow on me. I figure him to be an invoker - summoner. Im currently toying with the idea of having him summon this huge skeletal golem creature though we'll see about that.

His artifact is basically going to be some sort of axe-like skeleton type of deal. Like a spine for the hilt and a goats skull or something at the end. Its a bit ridiculous but it might work. crazy.gif

Any suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    You have a lot of sweet thumb nails there. I like the 1,3,5 on the top row and 1,2 on the second row. I think I like the 5th on on the top row the most, but I also like where you are going with this first detailed sketch as well.
    It might be cool to sketch more detailed version of a couple more thumbs before you make any commitments.
    Nice work, keep it up!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    this is some realy creepy face *G*

also like the thumbs 1 and 2 a lot
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Silhouette 3 is the best i think, nice shapes.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to the forums and the war! Excellent sketches man, I dig the one you went with too. Nice Voodoo-ish design. Look forward to seeing more of your stuff! smile.gif
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    robert! i was just thinking to myself that i needed some more of your art in my life! bad assery as usual dude! i love the shapes in second row drawings 3 and 4, and i love the scarab like qualities in third row drawing 4!

i love the dude that you took furthers face, but come on man, ive seen some of the twisted shit that comes out of your head! break away from the more humanistic forms, go fucking nuts dude!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    excellent concepts!
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, nice to have you fighting for our side! smile.gif
    These sketches and ideas look really promising... keep it up!
  • labmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, and Ryan, i know, i feel the same way, but i liked that one too much to give up on it. Thats why i started thinking of giving him some sort of steed or animal companion so i can go a bit more crazy with the design. and to that end:

golem1.jpg

just roughs for his little pet. Not sure how i feel about these yet but i took the last two heads and played around with them a bit more

golem2.jpg

and finally, an extremely rough sketch of what the finised illustration might look like if i go for this character. That blob in the background is of course, the undefined golem creature

rough1.jpg

i think im going to try and take one of the other characters a bit further as well, and see which one i prefer.
    Thats for the next update smile.gif
  • Skiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skiffy polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah I like the idea of him having a minion. The skull theme for the heads work nicely. Also the overexposed wide eyes really look freaky and crazy which is a good thing. Keeping and eye on this thread for sure.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, it's looking to be great concept art!
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    Great concepts! Not only are there a nice variety of caharacters, but your loose style leaves lots of design possibilities for each character.
  • labmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    was gonna do another update earlier but i wasnt at all happy with my sketches. i still am not but here goes anyway.

Was sketching a bit on one of the other characters though ive since abandoned that idea. Im just gonna run with the necromancer dude. But anyway,

veggie.jpg

so i started playing around with some more roughs for the golem:

golemroughs2jpg.jpg

golempaint1.jpg

I got a bit bored doing quick black and white studies so i continued on the illustration, even though the golem in the background is largely undefined. And i do hope this one shows up ok. i was a bit apprehensive about posting this because i have a strong suspicion that the colors on my monitor are screwed up. Mostly because photoshop tells me so when i fire it up, something ive thus far ignored. Nonetheless, here goes;

paintrough2.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    The colors seem fine to me despite your Photoshop acting up. Can't wait to see a more finished version of the golem, keep going. smile.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    this is realy cool stuff!!
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    kick ass robert!:)

just keep doing what your doing...
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    great idea. Love where that last image is going!

- BoBo
  • labmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, update time.

2 more golem sketches. Not liking these at all frown.gif

2golems.jpg

also kept on working on the painting and it occurred to me that the golem looks a bit silly in the background, just drooling itself to sleep, so i tried removing it.. but i think the image feels kinda empty and dead without it so i dont know.. thoughts?

sidebyside.jpg

As for the design, im tempted to just stick with the one thats in there currently. Im not very happy with it but at this point, im gonna try to just finish something and i can go back and revise it later. Feels like time is running out

confused.gif
  • labmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, a mini-update.. changed the golem ever so slightly and added some crows or bats or something crazy.gif

crows2.jpg

And i never posted any sketch of teh artifact\weapon so heres a closeup tongue.gif im currently playing around with various magical effects and glowy things but i think i prefer it simple like this

artifact1.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    so nice to have a superb 2d entry from polycount

totally dig it!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know how I missed this entry. There are some seriously awesome sketches in this thread. Top stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing the final.

-caseyjones
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    this is outstanding stuff, very expressive, def. dig this entry.

On a quick note, not too keen on the artifact, it doesnt attract any attention in my eyes and the shape of it feels a bit bland compared to the rest of the character. Not trying to sound like a dick or anything, the rest of the entry is kickass.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Wow that's fantastic. Really like the golem and how his pose mimicks the guy.

I think they could do with standing out a little more from the background though. There's a horizontal line about 2/3 of the way down the image where background, golem and guy seem to blend together a fair bit.

Just noticed, slapping a bit of green onto the guy's face would produce greentooth laugh.gif