Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 2D - Jordtron - Bramble

Hey guys,

Decided to join this contest with the rest of my university classmates...and we all decided to go Polycount. I'm not sure if I'm going with a Stalker or Warlord yet as I'm pretty early in the concept stages. At first I had this idea to make the Polycount demented smiley face into a wooden tiki mask with glowing eyes and such, but then the idea came around of having an entire set of armor with woven thorn vines, wooden planks, roots, branches, etc. Obviously this would be vegetation themed...

Concept1.jpg

Let me know what you think. Thanks

Replies

• Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Hey university classmate. smile.gif
    Looking strong so far, let's see some full body thumbnails/silhouettes!
  • A. Prillaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why hello, university classmate!
    The rune sword is beast. smile.gif
  • Jordtron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update: Did some armor ideations and some face sketches. Right now I have two main ideas with the vegetation theme: A Warlord with a set of regenerating wooden / vine armor and a huge honkin' artifact weapon, or a Stalker that uses vines / plants fused on his body to blend in to his surroundings for assassination purposes.

Concept2.jpg

Let me know what you think. Thanks
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice, its hard to see whats going on in the sillhouete in these little sketches though.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    like the knight (top left of the 4)
  • squidparty
  • orem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bottom left guy is the strongest, I think - there's obvious power in the figure, but it's still lithe enough to be evocative of regenerative vegetation. The sword is powerful without being over the top, and the features are pretty sweet - the branch-type things coming off the shoulders and that awesome left hand. Looking good
  • christinavee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the upper left armor. The more twigs and vines coming off this guy, the better, I think smile.gif
    Maybe rough up his skin a little. I mean, wouldn't he have some serious splinters?
  • Jordtron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'm going to go with the top left knightly / warrior looking guy since alot of people seem to like it. Started toying around with how his armor will look...

Concept3.jpg

I took away the loincloth and gave him a leaf skirt instead. Not sure if it fits within the whole motif, but looking at it now I think I do need to show some more legs and make them longer. I also added in some vines (might be a bit too much going on) but let me know what you think. Thanks
  • Jordtron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sort of modified the direction I was taking in the last set of poses. I decided to go with the Knightly figure since most people seemed to like that. I decided to keep him a little skinny and lanky for the most part, and used the sword hilt as a place to put the Polycount logo. Let's just hope nobody hits him in the chest...

Bramble-Model-Sheet.jpg

So anyways, let me answer a few questions that you may or may not be asking yourselves at this point. Yes, that's a bamboo corset. Yes, that's a leafy loin cloth. And yes...that is a helmet made of tree bark. Kind of silly, I know, but we're not really going for full-functionality are we? It all regenerates if it gets cut off, so he should be fine.

Let me know what you think. Thanks,
  • Jordtron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ironing out the action pose and toying around with initial color. I have two poses running through my head right now...

First one is him swooping down from the treetops like some kind of tree ninja (I'm not sure how it works either, just roll with it). The thought of having him in motion, jumping from branch to branch with beams of sunlight shooting through the leaves seemed kind of cool to me. I think if I were to choose this pose, it'd definitely be challenging for me to complete on time, which is why I'm leaning towards pose 2...

Action-Pose-Comp.jpg

Action-Pose-Comp2.jpg

The second pose I just pictured him chilling in front of some ancient ruins, overgrown with vegetation (to further emphasize the theme). He would be resting on a rock with his sword in the ground, amongst a slew of vines and plants all around him. The sky would obviously be in the background as well with beams of sunlight seeping through the treetops above, which would make for some interesting shadows below. I'm liking this one alot more I think.

Let me know what you think! Thanks