Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Interior Scene WIP

Over the past few days, I put together a scene of my kitchen. Right now, I'm severely unimpressed with the drinking glass material in the cabinet. I'd really appreciate tips for improvement in any areas, especially with some of the materials.

kitchen.jpg

Replies

• whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    How is light getting into that cabinet? If you look at the shelves, you can see a strong sense of light bouncing off of it, but it seems to be different to the scene itself.

I like the left side a lot because you have that strong sense of contrast, while on the right side, you kinda lose it.

You should rough up the textures a bit, especially the parts were dirt and grime usually go to; ie, corners of the floor or under the fridge. Though this might be minor, settle changes like that would help you out.

Not sure what to say with the glass mate. Maybe the change in lighting will make it to were you won't even notice it from this far away. Are you still fiddling with camera angles?
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I agree, the left side of the image is great, but the open cabinet, and the light on the floor feel very odd to me.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I agree about the lighting. Something else stood out to me also though. That countertop seems extremely thick. Also, the counter doesn't appear to overhang on the front. For example, the base cabinet next to the refrigerator, it looks as though the edge of the counter is flush with the front of the cabinet.
    The window cranks also seem a bit large (just the base portion).

Otherwise, I think someone might have thought it was a photo at first glance. Good work
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Good call Notman. There's no AO under the lip of the countertop, to indicate that it's hanging over the cabinets. Also the cabinets under the sink are getting a strong rim light from outside, which they shouldn't be able to see.

Edit: Ok so I think what's bothering me about the light on the floor, and the cabinet is that when I look at the left side of the image (the first thing I looked at) I see those vases & lanterns, casting shadows toward me, and to the left. That indicates that the sun is outside the window, and to the right (and up), somewhere toward the corner of the room. Now, I look at the sun on the floor, and I think it's coming through the window, but I can't reconcile the shadows that are being cast, with any thing I can see. That would also mean that the sun is more directly in line with the sink/window, rather than the camera/corner of the room. If that light splash on the floor is NOT coming through the window. . . then where the hell is it coming from?

What bugs me about the cabinet in the upper center, is, as has been pointed out, the fact that there's so much light inside the cabinet. However I also feel that the shadow/light on the side of the cabinet facing the window, is far too sharp to just be ambient light from outside. It looks like something is directly casting light/shadow onto that cabinet, hence implying a 3rd major source of light, and confusing me even further.

There's also some wierd lighting being cast across the top right corner of the fridge, as well as the cabinets above that.

I think you have a great piece going here, but you really need to figure out where the sun is, and make sure that all the lighting in the scene cooperates with that sun position.
  • foxdog
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. You guys caught some things I missed. On the lighting, there's a reason for it. There actually are two other lights in the scene (3 total). Below is the setup of lights. The only reason I added the extra lights was to keep the entire scene from becoming entirely too dark. When lighting an interior scene like this, where should my extra lights be placed? Should I have extra lights or should I have just the sunlight?

I'm just unsure of how to keep the scene well lit with a single light source coming through the window.

kitchenSet.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd start by taking the area light that you have in front of the window now, and move it outside, up a couple feet, and angled down slightly.

The area light inside might be ok as a fill, but you might want to play with it's brightness etc.

I might put a light (area, or spot with large, soft cone) on the hotspot on the floor, pointing up.

If you wouldn't mind sending the max file to me, I'd like to try a couple things?

Tumerboy@hotmail.com
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    did a quick job tonight to adjust what you already had, here's what I came up with:

2299882558_aa05c6c5a5_o.jpg

I'm getting some weird light bleed through at the back corner, inside and outside on the back of the upper cabinet. I'll take another look later when I have more time, but I couldn't figure out what it was doing in the time I had.
  • foxdog
    There are some really odd lighting issues going on because of my wall geometry and I'm trying to understand why.

Below is another perspective of the lighting.

lighting.jpg

Light is piercing through my wall geometry, especially around the cabinet position. Here is another render w/o the cabinet.

lightingWOcabinet.jpg

The wall geometry is below

room.jpg

Making the wall 2 sided seemed to solve the problem. What do you guys think?

final.jpg

I've been trying to wrap my head around the lighting along with the wall geometry and I'm coming up empty. Is this all a result of light trying to pass through one-sided geometry? I didn't physically add planes on the other side, but instead, just made the texture 2 sided.

Now, for the cabinet...there's light shining directly on it because of an area light on the other side of the room (you can see this a few posts up). Is it bad practice to add lights in an interior scene such as this, when sunlight appears to be the source of light?

[edit]

One thing I forgot to add is that I made the changes to the countertop. The reason it looks flush near the fridge is because the camera is pointing *directly* (almost perfectly) in line with the side of the countertop there.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Fox, yes that's what I did in the scene I sent you as well. That's what I meant about fixing your geo to cast shadows properly.

A polygon facing a light, should always cast shadows, a polygon facing away from a light, shouldn't. So, if you want a room to be in shadow except for a window, make sure you have a box that faces out, around the room.

This is also why I was confused by the fact that the vases were casting shadows as well. It looks much better in your last renter.

Putting in fill lights (like the one inside) is not bad, in fact, it's often necessary, you just have to make sure that any fill lights cooperate with your key light so that it doesn't look like there are extra, unseen light sources.

Did you open the file I gave you at all? I would strongly suggest looking at how I have the lights set up in there.
  • IronHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Fox send that to me as well bro. I have been playing with mr sun/sky systems this weekend and want to give it a go.

catch me on aim.
  • foxdog
    I'm sorry, Nick. I overlooked your first email's attachment.

When you put a light facing upward from the floor, can you explain what that's for? Is it just supposed to simulate light that would be bouncing off of the sun's hotspot (the floor)? I would have never thought to put a light there. Like I said earlier though, I have a bit to learn about lighting scenes well.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    that's exactly what it's for.

I'm not saying I'm a great lighter, in fact, I only do it when I really need to.

I tend to approach lighting by looking at the ACTUAL light sources first, and then only adding fills & such where I need them afterwards.

So in this scene, your only ACTUAL light source is the sun, which is coming in the window. That only casts light on a specific spot, but that spot is bright enough in a darker room, that it will reflect a lot of that light back into the room. Putting a somewhat dim, fuzzy light on a hotspot like that will help you simulate reflected light.

Your Radiosity will do some of it for you, but radiosity can only do so much.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but I was going to suggest the same thing. Think of where the light would continue in the room. It would either be from a reflection on the floor, or from an overhead light (if it were on). It wouldn't be natural to have an additional light on the opposite side of the room. Just something to keep in mind with future projects.