Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Aldo Jeffrey - Untitled

Just got back from GDC...still kinda tired, and very behind on homework, but decided I should start posting now before the war goes on for too much longer. Not really big on doing too many concepts, but here are some things that I'm drawing inspiration from. This is my first time doing this...so feel free to give any advice or critiques.

Concept_01.jpg

Replies

• Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the head...so far:
    DomWarProgress_1.jpg

I wasn't sure which way to model it..standing up or down...I decided to go with down...will show more progress later.

DomWarProgress_3.jpg
  • Smooth_Criminal
    Nice start.. its taking shape, I prefer the standing pose, maybe coz its easier for me to model in that.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should go with the upright pose also, just need to balance him out a little more but i think it would turn out best. keep at it!
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I decided to model him 'down' because he will have some 'dangly' parts...and it would be easier to show them hanging, than if he was standing up and they were just against him...I think it will be easier to rig this way too.

Here's an update.

DomWarProgress_4.jpg
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the armor.
    DomWarProgress_5.jpg
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to do some paintover concepts...here they are:

ConceptUpper.jpg

ConceptBody.jpg

Here is the idea so far...I need to write it up in a more cohesive way...and work out some of the history and abilities:

The creature was once a man who had the ability to absorb other creatures. Eventually over, the years....he would defeat his opponents and absorb their bodies....eventually, he evolved his 'configuration' so that he was more of a minotaur shape....eventually...he started absorbing his enemies by having his 'lower half' eat the bodies. Other than being a fierce warrior, he also has the ability to 'spawn' other creatures using the body parts of fallen victims that are now part of his body. He can also stand on his hind legs and his lower half has crazy strength....his upper body is the skilled/smart half and the lower body is mostly just powerful. If is upper half dies, then the lower half goes berserk and kill everything. If they don't kill the lower body too, then eventually, his upper body regenerates...so if he was to ever be killed, they would have to kill the upper body and then the lower body.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Nice
    I think the lower face needs more head. smile.gif Right now it looks more like eyes and mouth just put onto the body. A lower jaw would allready help a lot.
    With all this armor on the upper body it will be more likely that the lower half dies first. wink.gif
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you mean...The lower body isn't final yet...I'm still trying to work some stuff out....I think I'm going to do some zbrush sculpts to see how it works out because when I give him a chin, it looks too much like a bulge in the crotch area...if that makes sense. Will post more progress soon.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zbrush progress....not sure what to do about the armor now....thinking about redesigning.

DomWarProgress_7.jpg

DomWarProgress_8.jpg

DomWarProgress_9.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    The paintover and highpoly are great. Keep it up!
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Here's some more progress. Removed the face from the stomach..wasn't quite working for me. might hide it under the Armor though...guess we'll see.

DomWarProgress_10.jpg
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress: Resculpted the body and started painting the low poly.

DomWarProgress_12.jpg

DomWarProgress_11.jpg
    DomWarProgress_13.jpg
    DomWarProgress_14.jpg
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armor Progress
    DomWarProgress_15.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    the armor looks great!

but you should also try to sculpt more hard edges
    atm the highpoly is very blobby
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, get in there with the pinch brush, and perhaps some claytubes and the rake tools.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

I do want to go back and work on the zbrush body to try and get better shapes. I'm still fairly new to it and only use the standard brush, but I'll look into the other stuff mentioned.

One idea I had, was to do my 'bloby' normal map from zbrush and then paint the details in photoshop (on the diffuse) and then do a crazybump pass on the diffuse and overlay that normal map with the zbrush one....does anyone know if this is a good idea?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'd be much better to just sort out the issues in Zbrush - you'll learn Zbrush a bit better, it'll be quicker, and you'll get better results.

Have a look at the "Paint Sculpt Create" website
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a few days off cause I had to work on some other stuff, but now I'm back...hope to finish in time for the dead line.

The problem I ran into is...I was going along...happy with my guy having green skin, but then my roommates all said they didn't like it...so, I made some paintovers and people seem to like different ones without any one being liked more than the others..so I figured it's time to post and see what other people think.

THE GREEN SKIN

GreenSkin.jpg

THE YELLOW SKIN

Yellowskin.jpg

THE BLUE SKIN

ArmorBlue.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the blue one is working best, you get some nice contrast from the metal. An will look better when your specular maps are sorted.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, finally finished my first Dominance War...wish I could go back and do it all over again because I would have done so many things differently, but I guess thats' why it's called learning:) I think I liked it for about 3 mins before I started noticing all the errors. Oh well.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Here's the finals:

ConceptSheet.jpg

ConstructionSheet.jpg

TextureSheet.jpg

WinningPosecopy.jpg

Beautyshot.jpg