Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - FAT_CAP - Untitled summoner

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
Haven't had proper internet access at home for a while so I haven't had a chance to throw my hat into the ring for this one yet.

The idea is of an undead invoker with the darkness artifact having gradually sucked the life out of this once brave and courageous man. All that is left is a skeletal husk transformed and mutated into a zombie-like servant of the power of the darkness which propels him forward.

Sketches are all pretty quick and dirty leaving room for improvisation in the ZBRUSHy goodness! Have got more thumbnails and stuff but not scanned in yet.

sketch_small.jpg

thumb.jpg

And this is where Im up to on the model so far.
render.jpg

Replies

• FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    render_new.jpg

So this is where Im up to on the head - can't decide wether to keep the ears as per the concept on the left - or have them tilted upwards as on the right?

Im leaning towards the ones on the righht for the more demonic look it gives him but was wondering what other people thought?

Oh yeha - forgot to add in my first post that his weapons are the sharpened shards of bone that are sticking out of his back. These are constantly growing so if one breaks in battle there is always a backup or two to do swift thrift to the enemy! Am thinking of a MUCH bigger sword/ bone shard for the final poses than is shown in the concept.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heads.jpg

Decided to go with the ears in the middle picture above - the ones on teh left were making him look too passive and the ones on the right were too extreme.

Most of the major forms are in and the shapes are in where Im pretty happy with everything. Just needs the finer details and to pick out some of the smaller details and I'll start on the rest of the body.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    like these ears the most too

only real critic i can bring on is: the mouth is bit busy.. the teeth and the wrinkles around and on the side are looking very similar..
    maybe this problem will be solved with some textures, but atm your laking a bit of clear lines and some depth at the mouth area
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohoo - first reply!

Yeah I totally agree with you about the busyness - not only the mouth area but all over. Im pretty sure I can sort that out in the texture with some nice ambient occlusion and shadowing seperating the forms and some different material properties to pop the teeth and horns out etc - fingers crossed anyway - I might need to go back and revisit that sort of stuff.

That'll teach me to decide to detail it out in Z before getting a proper concept detailed!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Very cool, he looks very creepy smile.gif
    Maybe make the lower teeth or the upper teeth more inwards, because the upper and lower teeth look kinda blended into each other.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah - I have been pulling the teeth in for the past couple of days - and out to try and seperate them like you said! I'll play around with it a bit more over the weekend.

Just thought I'd throw this crappy colour comp up that I've just done to show the sort of colour scheme I will be going for. The exposed flesh bits will be a decaying white whereas the chitinous armour/ boney parts will be a darker, highly polished black like the ends of antler horns or some such.

head_coloured.jpg
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back from the land of the dead!

No updates for a long time as the offsets of the individual body pieces had gone screwy in ZBRUSH and I couldn't get a good screengrab of the whole character. Had to wait until I had everything UVd anf baked before I could piece everything back together and post some screenshots.

Not a chance in hell that I'll finish before the deadline but I will definately finish it up sometime!

full_head.jpg

full_body.jpg
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly does it!

Blocked in the main colours and started texturing the face - just normals and diffuse for the minute.

Decided that I want the spines at the back to have some of the same threads of slimey, mucousy substance that is leaking out of his mouth - this will also mirror the same shapes of the threads in his cloak. Mostly going to be done in alpha - fingers crossed I can find space on the texture sheet for it! Modelled in some of the larger drips to get an idea of the final result.

wip_colour.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    like how its comming!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nice work capster!