Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    awesome, as always!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Nice, the squirrel dude is so cool! Good to see such a different style for this comp.
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the color comp is done (whew!) Going to start on the low poly model this week. I'm a little behind schedule but I'm sure I'll be fine smile.gif Would love to hear what you guys think.
    colorcomp.jpg
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    i think that's super fucking cute. wicked job man
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Arix, thats awesome! my only criticism would be...a little too FW? u know what i mean...but awesome stuff!
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey slosh...thats my style laugh.gif

Thanks Tacit smile.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    realy cool .. and sooo cute smile.gif
  • KICKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, you did a magnificent job rendering your characters! I really love how they are interacting right now and hope to see this transition to 3D in a similar way. The only thing I can suggest is to possibly add some markings on Lyro's fur like that of a chipmunk or other tree rodent. Besides the blue in his hair he appears to be almost completely orange so something to break that up might help him pop.

I would also have the artifact leash tied around her arm instead of her neck. I can see her jumping off a ledge or something and having it get caught around a tree branch and strangling her! That way she can swing it around really fast to deflect incoming projectiles or to quickly spread seeds or vegetative essence or whatever. It could also serve to bring more attention to the artifact, like it were a third character with a life of its own.

Great work once again...props to you l337 skills!
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha! I can definitely see her choking on her own artifact! I guess since the vine that is holding the artifact is so long, she can easily slip out of it and use it to swing around or what not. Perhaps the vine has elasticity and can change lengths utilizing its magic powers. It can retract and become shorter as Teal travels and stay closer on her back and then stretch to become a tool of growth or for bopping her foes upside the head with!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I love the style. The challenge needs some diversity. Looks outstanding. Good luck to you.
  • LaSalle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shes cute man I like the style
    reminds me abit of the Fable art style....really cool stuff though, you do it well. good luck!
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started flushing out a low poly mesh. She is at 5k tries as of now. Will get started on Lyro and the Artifact shortly. C&C welcome!

screenshot_001.jpg
    screenshot_002.jpg
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just realized that there are a lot of triangles on my base mesh...is this a huge deal with ZBrush?
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I heard with the new zbrush its not, but its a good idea to turn most of the poly into quads because it can create some unwanted bumps. I would give it a go and if you see anything weird happening when you sculpt on the triangulated area, just go back into the 3d package and tweak the mesh. Looking good Arix, my advice would be to make the arms a tiny bit longer, keep up the great work !
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo, thanks for responding to my question! I will definitely just have to try some things out and see what works and what doesn't. I'm not a huge ZBrush Guru, so this comp is good for me to get myself working in some unfamiliar territory to expand my skills. I can see the arms possibly being a little to short, thanks for noticing that - an easy fix.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    hey arix...sweet mesh! slow down, ur makin me look bad;) as for the tris, im in the same boat...ive decided to try to make mostly quads but not at the expense of modeling efficiency. hopefully this wont blow up in my face...not too many tris floatin around though.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tris arent a huge deal -- but use them wisely. they won't explode your mesh or anything, but they cause it to pinch if they are in a bad spot, or if you have too many sharing the same vert. lookin good smile.gif
  • KICKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great progress so far, do you have any ideas for the base she'll be posed on? Can't wait to see how you and zbrush get along crazy.gif
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got some ideas...but I need to do some quick thumbnails to finalize what I want to do...I'm going to try something less conventional and more atmospheric to help set this character in her world and bring her to life. I'll post those when I get around to them.
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is Lyro's low poly. Been super busy lately with side projects/work/etc confused.gif This comp is going a bit slower than I had hoped. I'll see how much I can crank out before the week is up and then through the weekend.

Up next is the Artifact then some UV's and sculpting.

screenshot_003.jpg
    screenshot_004.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    awesome arix! Lyro's looks great;) love the proportions. my only suggestion for both lyro and teal is that you may want to put them in more of a relaxed pose right off the bat..less riggin and stuff to worry about later! wink.gif great work though...cant wait to see more.
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rigging?! *gulp* was thinking about just moving verts :P
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the concepts / designs! sick poly layout as well smile.gif
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't made a post in a while, been busy. Managed to get everything modeled and UV'd. Things are taking a little longer than anticipated, but I'll get it done! I'll post some updates when I have something worth showing...most likely the normal mapped stuff next.
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after a few weeks of struggling with Zbrush, I'm thinking about scratching the normal map and just going onto the texture. Time is an issue and I'm worried about the completion for the competition. The normal mapping issues really set me back and are quite frustrating -_- . I may end up playing with the Nvidia Photoshop plugin and generating a normal map from my texture...we'll see. i'll post updates on my texture when I get Teal done.
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless I bust my butt this upcoming week and get the skulpt/texture done I'm not going to be able to finish for the competition. I'm going to continue to work on the character though...meh
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    *butt kicking*

:)