Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Arix - Teal

EDIT: Going to put my most recent progress at the top of my first post for convenience.

screenshot_003.jpg

screenshot_004.jpg

screenshot_001.jpg

screenshot_002.jpg
________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello! This is my first time doing Dominance War also my first time here at Polycount! I've heard good things so I decided to hop on over. Thought DWIII would be a perfect opportunity for me to get my feet wet in a project again outside of work. Since working in the games industry I found it hard to break away from the day to day work and get motivated to spend time on my own stuff. So here we go!

My initial idea for a character revolved around something that wasn't conventional to most of the typical entries thus far in the Wars, so I wanted to bring some heavy stylization into my piece. I'm still concepting a base stylistic approach I want to utilize. It has a long way to grow from here, but at least I know in the end it will be a fun challenging piece for me smile.gif

I haven't decided on definite Class as of yet, nor have I chosen a specific type of artifact. So here are some random ideas I've come up with thus far. More to come over the next few days as I solidify a purpose for my character and also a style/design. Thanks for looking!
scan_001.jpg
scan_002.jpg
These scans were inspired by Cheeks' style.
digital_001.jpg
digital_002.jpg
Some late night randomness.

Tonight is going to be devoted to defining my character through his/her personality and how that is effected by its environment. Everything is still pretty random at this point. We'll see where this goes smile.gif

Replies

• Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a short story I wrote to help me with some direction...

Protector of the Last Oasis

During the war of the machines, the goddesses of nature fought to protect an ancient land lush with vegetation and life. The forests still stands and the rivers still flow after a decades of war. The goddesses although righteous and powerful, had been weakened dearly and spent hundreds of years in rest to regenerate their strength. They called upon the planet mother to hasten their recovery and ensure the survival of the Last Oasis...

A whimsical protector was birthed from the womb of the planet to protect the Last Oasis where the goddesses of nature resided. The protector was then blessed with a mystical artifact imbued with the life blood of the planet to aid her in her duties...

The Goddesses became worried of the planet's child. The protector which they named Teal, became lazy and apathetic about her purpose within the oasis and abandoned her position in search of another. The Goddesses warned her if she left she would entail great dangers and her artifact would become weakened drastically. Teal scoffed at their warning and ventured out into the post apocalyptic world...

After many dangerous encounters with the horrifying truth that the creatures of metal were returning to the planet, Teal longed to be back in the Oasis within it's nurturing atmosphere, however the goddesses prohibited her from returning until she restored power to her artifact's lifeblood. The goddesses commanded Teal to replenish the planet with vigor and vegetation to regain her own strength and empower the artifact once again with the planets lifeblood, for only the path of planet healing would enable her to protect the planet from the machines. The Goddesses enchanted her artifact with their last remaining power, the spirit of growth, before Teal set off to revitalize the dieing planet and protect it from imminent danger.
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some quick head studies...Trying to get a playful look.
    digital_003.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    cool scetches.. like the box-head .. bit uncute thats good wink.gif
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The middle/box head reminds me of dean venture haha
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    dig the head study alix. its gonna be interesting to see how this develops. love the backstory and ur concepts so far and can't wait to see how your stylized look translates to the higher poly stuff.
  • KICKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The back story is excellent! Her costume and garb should reflect her earthly origins...maybe flowing cloth in neutral-warm colors? Can't wait to see more of course laugh.gif
  • 3dmatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a post apocalyptic sequel to Ferngully. Nice!!
    Also, great Disneyesque (Mulan/Tarzan hybrid) style concepts... keep it up
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some conceptual outfits for Teal...They don't seem to have the earthy-whimsical feel I'm looking for. Trying to keep it playful, yet slightly assertive, not too fairy-like. Some comments, critiques, ideas would be great! Will be sketching some more head studies and start some hair studies tonight. Can't wait to hear what others think so far.
    digital_004.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i'm diggin the shorts from 2 and the shoulder plate from 6! these are sweet...do more!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    6 with bit changed legs and the arms from 3
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to see some comments from others, I see Slosh and Kicker almost every day! All comments are greatly appreciated though wink.gif
  • KICKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love no. 3 because of the variations in the garments which could make for a really beautiful texture. I'd give her the matching shoulder pad from 6 to complete the set! Very nicely done Arix!
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I generated some facial and hair studies. Let me know whatcha think. My next step will be compiling elements from all three studies and generating a singular concept. Then action poses and facial expressions!
    digital_005.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely NOT face #8. :P
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i'm diggin face 1 or 9 with hair G or E. if i had to chose one, i would go with 1 and G! love this stuff arix!
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Slosh! The 1 and 9 faces were actually combined and used as placeholders for the hairstyles! Cool beans, thanks for the crits

Valandar: Totally agree...just had to jiggle some DBZ-like influence out of my wrists ;p
  • KICKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, you have such a great character here and hardly anyone has commented! Your iterations are wonderful and your style really stands out in this competition. I really love the first face with the upturned nose you chose. It really helps push the mischievous nature of your character...the joker esque lips are working for it as well! I would personally go with the "H" hair style, it reads wild woman with a bit of a boyish mannerism. I can't wait to see your character in color. What are you planning as far as the artifact goes? Maybe she can have a companion that is like a living artifact?
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kick! Its nice to know I have a few fans smile.gif

I'm glad I am seeming to succeed in creating the mischievous playful character here.

I have a few ideas for the artifact, and actually a few for a companion as well! Those will come shortly.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    I LOVE your head studies -- G, F, 6 and 9 are catching my attention smile.gif Awesome sense of emotion and solid style > : )
  • BlackB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the #3,4 cloths and the hair is D,G!!
    its looking great man!! keep the good work!
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome guys, thanks for the feedback on my variations. I'm leaning toward #2 outfit with some possible combinations from #3 and #4, and I'm personally digging the H hairstyle, just because it gives her more of a care-free wild woman look. I'm also considering a G+H hair combo...I'm laying these iterations to rest for the moment though as I need to work on her artifact!

Really appreciate the feedback smile.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    5 H smile.gif

edit: head and hair
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rollin: Are you referring to the facial studies #5 or the outfits? I probably should have chosen another way to label the outfits vs the facial studies smile.gif

edit: Cool thanks for the clarification smile.gif
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Hi!
    You have nice style. Impressive sketches!
    You have decidet about the hairs... however i like E:) Maybe with little upgrade..

keep it on!
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus: Do you have any suggestions for some 'upgrades' on the E hairstyle?

Thanks for chiming in, much appreciated!
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Hm, i like the top of this hairstyle, it is dynamic but it is to smooth for me, maybe sam jeverly detail on the top?

When you get the "official" rest of clothes, its a little more easy to get the right style of hairs.

I like legs style from 2, a skirt from 4 (with a litle more details) and the shirt from 3 with some nice shoulders armor. You should compose the dynamic theme of those all get-together element. Maybe just a twirl (the nice twirl theme is in "american mgees alice"), something like on hairs I choosed:)
    Its my subjective oppinion of course, you must decide yourself;)

PS: sorry for my little influent english, I'm still working on it:p So if I write something strange, try to interprate:D
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, Thanks for the feedback! My next step is to design the artifact as well as compile a concept based on all of my studies thus far. Check back for that soon!

I was also thinking of utilizing elements from outfits 2,3, and 4 (check some previous posts for more detail)

I read in your thread that your english is not the best, so i don't mean to be rude but...what does "jeverly" mean?
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hm, i like the top of this hairstyle, it is dynamic but it is to smooth for me, maybe sam jeverly detail on the top

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    You're not rude, my fault, sorry for that..
    "jewellery" of course:)
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah of course! That sounds like a great idea, thanks for the input.

Im going to leave the hairstyles alone for now though while I work on the artifact. I will try some more iterations on some hairstyles near the end of the weekend if I get some other things done on my DWIII agenda. Thanks again for chiming in smile.gif
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    My pleasure:)
    One more thing btw, your style reminds me a amazing french comix book series "l'Ep
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Thats really cool, I can definitely see some similarities! Thanks for the link!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Your drawings are very stylish, and I definately hope your model will be the same. Don't have anything to comment right now more than I will follow the progress with great interest. smile.gif
  • Dmoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmoz polycounter lvl 17
    I'm a bit behind here but I'll chip in anyway.

I like the mix of metal armour and natural garments in number 3. The others are either natural or armourish, but not both. 3 is not my favourite yet but I think it will be. (if that makes any sense)

As for the hair, E, It's the most unique, which is where your character seems to be going.

I look forward to seeing how your style translates into 3d.
  • Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    Also late, but I dig the style and really wanna see how this turns out. Far as the outfit goes I like what's going on in 2 and 7; contest is going to be chocked full of buff, huge guys in loads of spikey armor and armor-like-things, so anything that emphasizes the stylistic differences in your piece, using light pieces that lean towards the practical and flexible aspects of Earth will help your entry a bunch. My thoughts at least.

But I'm just gonna wait to see that next step you're chalkin' up for now.
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input guys smile.gif

I felt as if I was in somewhat of a creative slump this weekend, can't make up my mind on where to go with my artifact, I keep getting caught up in its functionality in a game setting. Just gotta let lose and see where it goes. Here is what I have so far, I'm not sure about having it be a weapon per say, but maybe a magical ornament she holds? Let me know what you think.
    digital_006.jpg
    digital_007.jpg
    Just gotta keep cranking away at it. My personal deadline to finish concepting is mid next week so I gotta get my buns movin.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i feel ya arix..i'm tryin to finish my color so i can start modelin! the weapons look cool but i think you can push it futher. i dig the one you colored but i like how the one on the top left wraps around the arm. i would love to see you combine those and torque it out even more!
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some quick iterations. Came up with a artifact seed necklace she can wear to give her the power of growth. Pollen falls from it and leaves trails of vegetation behind her as she travels. It also emanates the energy of the planetary life blood, depending on how much energy is emitted determines it level of life blood consistancy within the artifact seed.
    digital_008.jpg
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some REALLY quick action poses with the artifact. Next up is a compiled sketch based on all the conceptual studies so far.
    digital_009.jpg
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    That looks very good in motion, and she'd really wreck hell on someone who suffers from allergies laugh.gif

It's nice to not have it bladed, with the right glows and design it should look powerful enough, and it seems to fit the playfulness better rounded. I hope you get that flying squirrel into the final, a mascot along side would fit well with that character.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    sweet poses arix! action poses could be really cool for one of ur final renders. i would love to see something where maybe she's floating in a magical aura she can create with her artifact...
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some quick sketches of the possible companion. I ended up with a sort of lion/flying squirrel thing near the bottom, need to refine him. I'll include him in the composite sketch for this evening.
    scan_003.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    yea, the thing at the bottom looks like he would make a good companion. i think designing a mount for the main character would be cool too. i love the way ur character is looking but i do feel that she could use something "epic." you could defnitely achieve this with the special effects of her artifact but i think a giant mount of some sort would be awesome too. either way, i think if you add the "epic" factor, this character will rock!
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work so far! I love the style you are goin with. Very refreshing smile.gif
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Quick Composite of Teal, the Artifact Seed, and Lyro the flying squirrel dude.
    digital_010.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know what's going on in here, but it's adorable.
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a story and descriptions in my previous posts if that helps? If its because of too many lines spewing everywhere, the color comp is coming up next, stay tuned!
  • EnErgEstEr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6 for costume. I like the leggings with the skin being shown at the hip.
    A or F for hair
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    I heart this.
    Wonderful style. Could make for a great heroin with her own game. smile.gif
  • Smooth_Criminal
    Looks great... both characters fit well.
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone smile.gif , its been slim throughout this initial design phase. I'm almost complete with a color comp and will post that this weekend. Modeling begins this weekend as well.