Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Neox - Nia

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    thanks guys smile.gif

did a bit more work on her clothing and changed some details, the skirt will be alphaed, think i'm going to add the same borderstitching from her neckthingie to the loingcloth too, not sure yet.

And I ordered some books about african tribes, voodoo and gorillas for her summoned beast, heading for a silverback ghost, spirit thingie, so next things to do will be a bit more research.

nia_010.jpg
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Sooo cute! I Love the clothes and details.
    I think some voodoo stuff would be great to make her appearance dangerous looking, right now she looks just too cute to be threat smile.gif
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats the whole point, she is cute and she is innocent, but she has abilities, thats why she's being used for that war :/

wink.gif
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    cute as fuck. and technically awesome. beautiful sculpt work
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    awesome sculpt man, the execution is flawless! Could you show what technique you used to model that necklace? Did you make a b/w mask and just pushed the forms???...I would love to know how you pulled that off. In any case, good luck in the war and keep up the cool work!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tacit math: thanks man smile.gif

@wizo: oh that was way easier then you might think, firt of all i just drey lines onto the mesh to definte the flow of her necklet and then I jus used the simple brush and did the basic pearls, and then i used the inflat brush to give them more volume, nothing special, really
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    getting realy cool neox smile.gif

and schande über dich .. one of the foot-cuffs is un-sculped *G*

and maybe give her eyes later some weird touch (maybe something more then the usual all-white) ?!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Wow, just...wow. This is some absolutely fantastic work you've got here. It's nice to see someone creating a quality piece that deviates so much from the traditional DW entries.

I'll be watching for updates, so keep the awesome coming smile.gif
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    very very nice work indeed (as expected :P )
    and the hair is quite impressive!
    (the pearls on the necklace on her chest (not around the neck) seem a bit rushed compared to the rest tho smile.gif )
    can't wait to see the next update smile.gif and I'm curious to see the expression of her face on your final piece smile.gif
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    awesome work man love it and how it doesent look like anything else in this dominance war smile.gif very Original
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    can't stop staring at the hair -- so nicely executed!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    very nice. and technically PERFECT.
    I hope she'll be able to endure on the battlefield at least one minute, though.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first of all, thank you smile.gif

@rollin: damn white/twisted would be the normal behavior of eyes of persons under voodoo influence, so i planned on doing it like that for her "fight mode"

@kakikukeko: you're absolutely right, i think i'm not going to achieve the look i want with sculpting so i have to model these pearls, will definitely be way cleaner, but maybe as it is right now, it would work on normalmaps, i'll have to test it before dumping this part

@conte: we'll see how long her protective spells will shield her, but the clericon seams not to be a popular class in this war anyways.

ok i started with her biggest ghost, but well maybe i will have to make him material i'll have to make a quick and dirty lowpoly test to play around with the additive shaders in crysis.

nia_kong_001.jpg
    lots of stuff to do
    just looked onto the basemesh, have i love zbrush xD
    http://polyphobia.de/nonpublic/domwar/nia_kong_001a.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Congrats for going this route! I really hope you will finish that one and polish it as much as you want. It will be a great contrast compared to all the numerous demonic/badassic entries.

Good luck!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    seconded, great fur sculpt too
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Looks awesome, super clean! What kind of tricount can you get up to with these?
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Whilst I'm not in love with the concept of this character, by god is the quality absolutely stunning. Keep going!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior: i hope i can make it in time, depends on the upcoming workload

@Asmuel: i hope i can get her with like 3-4k and do her abilities with the rest i'm currently thinking of not giving him feet, so he would be more floatng over her, which might work better with the idea of him beeing produced by her fantasy. But this totally depends on the shaders i can use, as we're not allowed to create our own i have to look into crysis' shaders to see if i can get a ghost/spirit like additive shader. If not i'll have to change the theme to not be summoned, but nature so he'd be a real gorilla, but that tamed/mount thingy is just my backupplan, i hope i'll not have to make him material.

@Razorbladder: i knew that a lot of people joining this war wouldn't like the concept, but i wanted to go a different path on this challenge and not do what like 70-80(or even more) percent of the participants do, i just didn't want to do another dark, evil, demonic, uberbig monsterthing. And as said, she's no warlord, she's a cleric, she doesn't have to be a asskicking evil chick to banish, heal or protect people.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow an other amazing update..
    about your concept, I think it's a good decision too.. But right now I'm missing something to tell me that the background is set in the (far) future.. So far, it looks like it's nowadays.. So I still can't wait the next update to see how you'll manage this.. wink.gif
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The question i was asking myself in the beginning was, how futuristic is the future after the destruction of all machines and i thought having tribes going back to the roots, living in peace with nature, going back to ancient magics would be a nice idea.
    And when i look at a lot of the best pieces in this contest, most doesn't look futuristic at all, we have a lot of medieval themed stuff and lots of organic fanatasy armors.
    So I think having a eartbound, close to nature party doesn't fight the idea of the battle in the future at all. There are no machines, there is no hightech, there is not even steampowered machinere, nothing that's futuristic, so i thought of two ways, either having "old" hightechstuff, missused like parts of machinery beeing used as clothing, or having something more natural. I decided to go the natural path, as it would be more unique in this challenge smile.gif
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UniqueSnowFlake polycounter lvl 12
    I'm with you SEKNeox

Its been 1,000 years, anything could of happened. So your concept works 110% for me.

been loving your art crazy.gif

looking forward to more
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm I understand your thinking..
    (still I wish there would be just one or two details to give a tip about the background :P )
    Anyway, I can't wait to see your final, as I'm sure it will be
    one of the best, technically AND artistically..
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    nice one smile.gif

realy like this unusual approach

and my pc is also not very happy about all this subd stuff going on here and there *G*
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Nice, great work on the fur.
  • TheArgyleKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he needs a fez. Other then that, this is amazingly well done.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    SEKNeox, I thought I had commented on this thread before, but guess I intended to and go sidetracked:) Awesome entry is all I have to say, and the modeling is superb, with a cartoon/badass feel to her. Really looking foward to what your piece turns out to be.

Spark
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    You have a great talent for sculpting. It's always a treat to see your work.

I'm looking forward to the final version!
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Fur is looking very cool. Shading that won't be easy haha
  • bilbana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bilbana polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like we were thinking alike on this one. Your entry looks really nice. Top 10 so far as far as I`m concerned. I hope the judges won`t mind some of the entries not looking death-kill-black metal-big di.. sword I mean.

I have no critique even, looking forward to that ghost.
    Would be really nice if you could pull it off making it look really like something a child would dream up.

bilbana - Polycount Dominance War 3
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=277270&an=0&page=0#Post277270
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and again thanks guys smile.gif

@kakikukeko: i understand what you mean, and maybe i can come up with something, maybe her artifact will have more modern influences, and maybe i'll exchange parts of her necklacestuff with 6sided bolts but first of all i have to take care of the overall polycount, to even consider that. I#m not quite sure with the futuristic stuff though, could fight the rest of the design

@vitor: if i get a ghostshader the shading whon't be too hard, as it's not gonna need real fur shading, just the appeal of fur, buit i have to take a deeper look into the cryengine, didn't find what i need yet. if i don't find a real sollution i might be out of this contest, because not beeing able to tweak shaders via nodes really blocks me, as i already know what i'd do in U3 but i'm not allowed to.

@theargylekid: no fez, thats for sure :O

ok here's another, this time very boring, update
    lots of things to tweak, the polycount might already be too high, so i guess i should takee care of some facial polies, but i want her to be able to do some facemorphs, so i can't remove too much... :/
    nia_011.jpghave fun and good night
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well at least you can remove a few polys in the ears .. I doubt she will have some facial animation around there laugh.gif
    (maybe on the toes too.. but let's see the rest first! laugh.gif )
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nah ears need at least a little mesh for form, i think there is nothing worse then a character with a good face but flat ears, a normalmap just cant turn a plane into an ear.
    but maybe i can remove the upper row of the toes, so the silhouette will still be readable, we'll see
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as i didn't find a good premade ghostshader (again, that rule sucks) , i played a bit with my initial backupplan to let her summon the creatures from the ground...

rockybalboa.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Cool! Definately not a bad backup plan.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    backup?

BACKUP?!!

dude that shoulda been ur primary!

its awesome!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah i gotta say the newer one (backup) looks fucking awesome. That seriously is sick looking...
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meh i'm far away from beeing happy with this guy, right now it's just cheap detailling, ok the form will be better readable once the textures are on it and i#ve got some Ao going on, but the overall look is kinda boring... i think i'll have to do a try with some sort of bushgrass to replace his fur, but i kinda think a whole stone gorilla is just boring :/
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok as said before, i'm totally unhappy with the direction i went because of issues i had with the rules of this challenge, so i decided to not go on with it for this challenge i'm going to work on Nia and i'm going to work on her silverback but i'm not going to try to fit in the rules, no matter what...
    good luck to anyone participating, can't wait to see the finished works but i'm out... sorry, but i think Nia will do better on her own with aher own shaders, polycount and better tuned textures for just herself smile.gif
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Sad to hear that Neox, but I think in the end you'll be able to do a lot more outside of the rules, and you'll be happier with the result. Bitchin sculpting, and I hope to see this finished, DW or not! smile.gif
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah dude, if you won't like what you are doing for the challenge then just don't, and make it a cool portfolio piece instead.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also (much) prefer your previous version of the gorilla so I really understand how you must feel... do what you think is the best for this piece, without thinking about the rules.. you should still try to submit it at the end tho.. who knows smile.gif good luck smile.gif
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with Vitor on this and would like to add:
    This competition is for people to learn and have fun. If your not doing one of the two than just do your own thing. You have eye popping modeling skills.

Idea:
    What if the tribe your girl is from has actually rejected technology even though they live in the future? Thus they live off the land old school style and become more in tune with nature. Still fits what the DOW3 rules want I think and works with the cool stuff you have going here. Either way it looks like Polycount will back you either way. Keep going your stuff Rocks!

DOWIII Entry
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yeah sad to hear, but man, I totally agree, make it fit your standards, not the contest's, the main goal is to end up with a piece you can be proud of, not with something you had to tone down/castrate/adapt because of some rule, it's meant to be for fun, restrictions sound more like work wink.gif.

but please keep updating whether you end up submitting or not, this is an awesome piece and I'd love to see it finished.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could anybody, like an admin or a mod, move this thread into the regular forums? Or do i have to create a new one?

@dfacto: workin on it smile.gif

@vito: exactly

@kakikukeku: don't think i'm going to make it in time, and obviously breaking the rules wouldn't bring me anything for the contest :P

@slingshot: no idead to still fit it into the rules, please smile.gif i had enough of those

@vahl: here's the update, but having it in the normal forums would better i guess

changed some things in his face, weathered it a bit and worked on his body, going crazy with all that fur.. and i already changed some parts of the fur, especially forearms and deltoids, but was to lazy to capture new screenies

nia_kong_004.jpg
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    man this ape is beautiful !! Keep up the good work !
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    very nice fur sculpting!
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man, I didn t think I could fall in love with a gorilla! laugh.gif
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys smile.gif

@kakikukeko: I'll let him do an extra pose showing you his lovely furry butt :P