Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Wizo - Zakamir

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
wizo polycounter lvl 17
Hey polycounters! im done lurking around, time to giveback a bit of love the the Green Smilie's community!

latest Update :

Zakamir_Concept.jpg

3D Turnaround : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P86SOY3J

BeautyShot.jpg

UE3_01.jpg

staff.jpg
previous sketches.

DominanceThumbs.jpg

Replies

• Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    The middle guy caught my attention first, if it means anything
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    middle, left, right smile.gif i think the middle and left are pretty damn strong ideas.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    very nice sketches.. so far the middle one is my favorite concept.. but I'd like to see more laugh.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    those kickass!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    2. smile.gif cliche but also unique .. thats good
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Kickass man. I actually like the right one the most, but it was close between it and the middle.

All of em are awesome though.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like the middle the most, even though the others are strong designs the middle one looks more unique to me.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    The first looks great to me.
  • BlackB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the left and middle one!!
    look bad ass
  • Chernobyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, I'm likin' the middle and the right ones.
  • jlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice stuff. i think i like the middle, but i'd like to see more of the face/head up close.

and does the first guy have knives for hands. i was thinking it might be kinda cool to have them fused into his forarms.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Second guy, definitely. Everyone's focusing on hands in this competition, it seems, so I'd avoid that.
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    I vote for the middle one.
  • stalsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice concepts!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the great response guys! As suggested, the middle guy will be the idea im going with: ... update

Zakamir_Concept.jpg

There are still some thinking to do specially on the artifact side...up to now I am thinking he could use his staff to lure the spirit out the ennemy body and then trap it inside that small urn which serves as a soul combustion device.

I am totally open to any suggestion, maybe ill add in a few different head ideas, and surely put more thought into the staff.

• KICKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey wizo, I really love the color study you did on your character. The hues are very rich and he gives off a certain air of royalty about him which greatly compliments his gold skin. I think you can do a slew of iterations on the staff to really set this piece off. A lizardy tail poking out under his cloak might be interesting to see as well.

Great work, I am eager to see more!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    wow -- awesome colors. sorry I can't be more helpful ... but I am a huge fan of where this is going smile.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    that is sooo awesome!!

love the colors!
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    i love that upper left one man..:)
    interested to see how mister raptile turns out though
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He is simple, yet seems civilized...like somewhat fantasy-modern-futuristic combined. The colors are inviting, yet uneasy since it is a strange creature, and this visual emotional contrast seems to generate the beginning of a strong character personality. His eyes are covered indicating a disconnection in a trusting relation to the character...yet i want to trust him!

Iterations on the staff to compliment the piece would be nice, I might lean more toward an inviting or smooth looking staff to balance the contrast in evoked emotions even more. Nice work
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    Snap! masked demon FTW.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Son of a B thats nice.
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Great start on the concept, have to agree with Arix though about the staff.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    update!
    Thanks for the input guys! The main proportions of the character are nailed down! yay smile.gif

A little of Zakamir's background; He's a demonic priest that sucks out the remaining essence of a dying creature, and stores it into his artifact(materialized as green liquid). He can afterward infuse the essence back into any given creature to heal it or to bring it back to life.

Zakamir_Concept2.jpg

I am still struggling with the staff/poleaxe's design, any idea or reference would be very appreciated.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    looks good!

I think he'd look goofy underneath the cloth though.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    aesir : thanks! Ive tweak his proportions so that it makes a bit more sense. He is a snake underneath

Ive been blocking of the main shapes, I wanted something like the 1st concept but with some more majestic shapes. So I model the main shapes of 2nd concept but I kept tweaking the proportions so it retains the elements I like from the 1st one. Its at 4,500 tris now

Untitled-3.jpg

Staff concept:
    staff.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Blocking is done! everything all togheter is standing at 7000 tris right now, so I ll be spending the rest into polishing the silhouette, and maybe adding some light-weight metallic armor so that the concept reflects the post-apocalypse theme better. Any ideas? I feel there is something missing but Ill need fresh eyes to figure out what exactly.

dada2-2.jpg

some refs I'm using for detailing and shader ideas:
    Untitled-3-1.jpg
  • BlackB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im liking it!! its coming alone!
    just a little suggestion.. maybe clean up the base mash a little? and make the flow fallow the folds! it will save u tones of poly to improve on other stuff
    such as armor or silhouette ect.. and easier to define the silhouette and the pose!!!
    good work man!!
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love the style of your sketches.. can't wait to see what you gonna do with those bones and spikes references..

(and thanks again for your advices wink.gif )
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Looking really cool, remins me a little of the prophets in halo at the minute but im sure it wont further down the line.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    that looks awsome :O grin.gif great stuff man, has lots of character! i love the bells!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    BlackB: Thanks, yeah I cleaned up the mesh cause it was kind of messy.
    Kakikukeko:Np! hope you like the update.
    FightPunch: yeah I agree, it doesnt feel very original yet, I ll push the execution and as far as I can and hopefully it will have more appeal.
    Japhir: Thanks!!

Here's a little update
    torso.jpg

full-2.jpg

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    haha.. i hope these are bells..

nice smile.gif
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    rolling: yup, they are the artifact. While the priest makes his incantations, the bells make a strident sound which resonates with the robot creatures and renders them unable to move.

UPDATE:I finally decided to backtrack to the first concept. I realized alot of you guys and co-workers gave me great feedback on it and that I should use that hint. Plus, I wasnt to happy with all the changes I was making, human/iguana face seemed very boring, I decided to stick with a masked demon face. Now the proportions should be "really" blocked in, you can still shot some crits tho, I ll be needing them as I ll need all the thinking juice I can get to finish this in time.

Thanks

closeup.jpg

frontback.jpg
    Wires: *some base mesh of clothing part got deleted-->sux *
    Wires.jpg

Ill need to make another pass on the clothing and after that, Ill brings the arms and face into ZB3.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    realy nice translation into 3d.. and i like the folds! nice
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I also prefer this head grin.gif good decision crazy.gif
    can't wait to see more...
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Rollin and Kakikukeko!

I did a zbrush pass on the arms and head, and I modeled a bit more of the cloth which I will be bringing in zbrush very soon. Feel free to drop a line or two of your likes/dislikes

wizo.

wipfull3.jpg

wiptop.jpg

wiptopback.jpg

Front_left.jpg
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starts to shape up very nicely! I thought you were already doing the folds in Zbrush! I can't imagine how they'll look like then cool.gif
    the head looks pretty good too.. (on "wiptop.jpg" the teeth seems just a little bit small, can't really see on the other views..)

the cloth under the butt (?) looks strange imo, I think it should be straighter , it should fall by its own weight I think..
    also a last detail, the string between the bigger bells should be straight line wink.gif
    keep it up, looks pretty good overall!

the shape of the artifact is very interesting too.. thumbup.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey again, time for update, hopefully I ll be able to complete this in time... So many of you are already kicking butt with the low polys.... Damn you! wink.gif

kakikukeko: Thanks for the crit, it is very helpful, I have made the teeth a bit bigger and have reworked the shape of the robe. As for the artifact, I am still making some changes for it will retain some of the shape you liked. Keep the crits coming, thanks again!

Rollin: Thx, so is your entry.

update on the hi poly: (tail's missing, maybe I will do a cloth detailing pass.)

rotation.jpg

head-1.jpg

robe.jpg

arms.jpg

Its not coming as good in max as it is in zbrush, I hope the texturing and shader work with the low poly will make it more readable. Something with the silouette is weird aswell, cant put my finger on it.... anyways

For those want the zbrush mat: http://rapidshare.com/files/103681104/al10.zip.html
    I quite happy with it, even though It was kind of created randomly by messing with mat cap.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, thats coming along really well! He's kind of like a Skeksis.

Gonna sculpt some elbows?
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    thanks Rick! I've added more of an indication of an elbow but its kind of subtle.

I finally done with the baking (...bout time!) I can finally have some fun with the texture.

Heres the low res with some basic textures, diffuse(with AO) and spec were rendered to texture from materials applied on the hi res.

crrently 8600 tris. Some artifacts here and there, Ill be cleaning this in the first color pass.

LowRes3-1.jpg

Wireframe : wires-1.jpg

a few ideas popped up today for instance, a spectre make out of alpha planes which I could duplicate 2-3 times, but I might have to ditch that If I run out of time. :(

LowRes2.jpg

I am still debating if should I focus on adding the spectre feature or if I should be spending the remaining time into texturing... a good night sleep should help.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    texture first.. if you have still time.. make the spectre
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Here's a wip on the texture:
    Wipcolor.jpg

Ill ditch the spectre idea and replace those by some green smoke effect rotating around the polycount ball.

I got more angles and UE3 shots, but ill be posting them tonight, gotta run to work...

Hope you like it!
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah!! nice! can't wait for tonight! :P
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great! good to see you went back to the original design, the head looks much better. texture looks promising! i want more :D
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nice! I love those creepy little arms
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Kaki: Thanks!! :) , learning UT 3 is certainly taking precious time but I am happy with the results, its really cool to see the model in-game! I posted a couple views below.

Japhir: Ty, I am happy I made that decision too hehe, its not the most original creature ever but I have a lot of fun working on it.

Jaco: Hehe thx.

Update:

I made a subtle dirt pass on the texture and some color variations. I am probably going to add more detail but I have to hurry up and make the rig + pedestal for Thursday. I wont be able to work on this Friday and Saturday.

Unreal 3 renders:

facewip.jpg

Zak_UT3_01.jpg

Zak_UT3_02.jpg

Zak_UT3_03-1.jpg

I am having some issues with taking higher rez screen shot than my desktop res in unreal 3 engine.(I am currently "printscreening" the renders) so if anyone knows how to take a custom res screenie, I would be very thankful if you showed me how :)
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    !!
    Final entry submitted
    !!

Im done!!! Oh yeah! OH YEAH! sry I am overjoyed right now...I barely made it, but I did.Plus, I've learned so much, got some great support-->Thanks Rollin and kakikukeko :), I am very glad I could fight the war in the Polycount team, the pool of talent here is incredible. Best of luck to all of you!

I will be gone for a few days to get some rest and finally have a real weekend for a change.

winning pose:
    WinningPose.jpg

Beautyshot:
    BeautyShot.jpg

Flats:
    Flats-3.jpg

Construct sheet:
    Construct-1.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message