Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

40k pillar wip + introduction

Yo, whats up. I've been lurking here for a year or two, but never post anything. It's an awesome community, so I'm going to try and start posting stuff on here reguarly now that I have time to do some shit on the side.

Here's my portfolio, it shows some of my past work and the recent stuff I did for Tabula Rasa: http://wharris.wordpress.com

This WIP is a 40K Chaos marine inspired pillar. Took their color scheme and tried to build something that might work for them as an enviro prop, it's a pulpit that they climb up on and then spout crazy chaos shit from.

Specs: 2223 Tris, 1 x 1024x1024 diffuse / normal / spec

The note says "Let the Galaxy Burn" in case anyone is wondering.

pillar_nm.jpg

upclose.jpg

I built this thing in a rush and plan on going back to it and sprucing it up when I can. The back is pretty much garbage, ran out of time and just starting mapping ugliness on. Also The base was a last minute, oh shit moment, so I mirrored the grate all the way around. It definitely needs some love.

pillar_back.jpg

And I uploaded it to gears of war to test the materials in-engine. Here's some shots of that

unreal3.jpg

unreal1.jpg

It's a pretty boxy model, but I wanted it to be that way on purpose so I could focus most of my time on materials.

Any feedback is definitely welcome.

Replies

• Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Sweet! Welcome to the forum Slybones. Ya I think finding some way to break the box would be good.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work!
    I feel like you have a really well done normal map, however when you are applying your diffuse and spec it really kills all the normal details. I would try to bump some more spec changes from the different materials on there to help make the different materials pop. I would also look into adding an ambient occlusion map or over laying the occlusion map in max to "fake" the ambient look. This will help the elements pop more!
  • Slybones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Appreciate the feedback guys. Yeah agree 100% about the materials. I'm pretty inexperienced with "next-gen" materials, up to this point everything I've done is mostly diffuse only texturing. So I'm still trying to get a grasp on making a proper spec map and wahtnot. Hopefully a few more props of this nature and I'll start to nail it down better.