Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Maya/Aztec/Inca Environment WIP

This is my first post here, and I wanted to thank everybody for all the invaluable info collected at this site! I'm currently looking for a job in the SF Bay Area, and this is my first portfolio piece moving away from ArchViz and into Games. I think I've gotten a "correct" start but I would love any critique I can get.

MesoTopo_1.jpg
Meso_Side.jpg
MesoClose_1.jpg

I'm building this in 3ds Max as if it were going to be put into a game engine...I was mainly curious if the mesh density, especially the terrain map, was where it should be.
From here I'm planning on texturing:
- Terrain w/ multiple tiling maps & vertex color,
- Larger "terrace" walls with a single tiling map
- All other meshes are unwrapped
From there I'll add alpha planes for longer grass and plants, possibly trees (or speedtree?), some UV unwrapped rock faces along the riverbank, distance fog, alpha planes for clouds and sunrays, vertical ropes on the bridge, etc... Still trying to figure out how to fade the water edge off without subdividing that single quad water plane.
So does this look like I'm on the right track for something to show to a possible employer? Any criticism would be highly appreciated!
Thanks,
John

Replies

• AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could probably put a lot more polys into those buildings and maybe a few less into the hills in the background. Also is that a plowed field in the background? It looks like a hectic amount of polygons.
    The layout of the buildings is quite nice.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    good fundamentals now go in and start to model sections that you can then uv texture and blat around, ie create a section of wall, with nice trims and rough sections etc, then take that section duplicate it around, cuting and sewing the bits together, you can do this with most things, arches, stairs, doors statues. even if your not modeling for an engine like unreal then it makes the work load much easier, than going, model everything, uv everything texture everything etc etc etc.

id say you could build:
    -wall section
    -corener wall secton
    -2-3 x arches
    -stairs
    -flat floor section (with some tiles missing sticking out for detail)
    -statue
    -2x roof section
    -and some rubble.
    then youve done the donkey work just tweak and stich together easy wink.gif
  • Aumakua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asylum:
    "You could probably put a lot more polys into those buildings..." - I was hoping you would say that!
    The plowed field is actually the terrain mesh you see near the foreground as it goes into the distance, before getting reduced where the background hills are (it's a waste, huh). I should just cut out the middle ground and have 2 separate meshes. I was referring to Crysis' level editor, where their terrain mapper actually reduces the polycount of the terrain far from the camera automatically - and tried to copy this in one mesh in 3ds.
    I'll add more decoration (bevels too ... maybe?) to the buildings and take some from the hills.

Shepiro - I'm just using this as a single portfolio piece to show off everything else I need to show off like texture mapping, terrain, lighting, etc. but not a whole level. Would an employer see me as an idiot for building it like this? I don't have a lot of time to redo it with repeating modular pieces it unless it's REALLY wrong at this point. Not to say I shouldn't have done it that way in the beginning...

Thanks for the feedback - if anyone else sees anything please let me know
  • LLamaStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    start beveling those edges.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    building it in components which you would then duplicate, or instance around would be the best and fastest way of approaching this, im not talking about high poly assets etc, just taking small bits that you can model with some detail, then duplicate around, otherwise you will have to build everything from scratch or have a very plain level as you will have to rely on mapping only for the detail, that would have been ok on ps2 or psp but not for "next-gen". what you have there is a good level blockout.
  • vividly_pathetic
    Looking very nice, hope to see it finished/textured. I agree with Llama, though. Maybe chamfer a few edges here and there to soften everything up a bit. Apart from that, I like it.
  • Aumakua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right on, thanks Shepeiro. Now I understand what you were saying ... and that actually clears up a bunch of questions I was about to ask.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • Aumakua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey - finially had a chance to work on it yesterday - here's the updates.
    MesoTopo_2.jpg
    MesoClose_2.jpg
    I apologize for the rendering glitches - but otherwise I made the hill mesh a little larger, added details and chamfers to the architecture, and broke everything into little interchageable modular pieces.
  • Aumakua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MayanWall.jpg

Hey everybody -
    Sorry to dig up this old post but I finially got some time free to texture one of the wall components. It's made up of a color, normal and spec map.
    After realizing rendering out this whole scene might take a little more time than I have right now ( < fulltime job + freelance + family) ... I think finding a good SMALLER prop to model might be more effective for my portfolio... But anyways how does it look?
    Thanks for all the help!
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wall texture looks quite nice.
    Some of the stones in the front of the wall look like they fit too well, they look 'molded' rather than stacked together.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Hey that looks pretty nice! definetly a good start.

Perhaps start by making a smaller temple, if lack of time is an issue. Or that bridge with the snake head(?) anchors could be kickass by itself.

I'd recommend working on a full scene rather than just small props.
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming along really nicely - the only thing I'm a bit confused about are the polygons used for the ground; are all of the edges being shown in these images, or are the floor polygons n-sided faces being crashed through?

There are also a few other n-siders, such as the handrail that has the big chip in it on the left, the blocks at the top of the handrails on the main staircase, and the top of the arch at the entrance.

I'm a bit curious as to how much geo is being crashed-through each other; it's generally not a problem, but in realtime it might lead to some shading issues, and does contribute to wasted texture space (although with tiling that might be a non-issue).

Those are my only concerns, really - the setup looks very clean and readable; placement is logical but interesting. I'm no professional at this, though - I'm just wondering if you might be using techniques that are used in architectural viz that might not work so well for realtime application.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    More cilvilian buildings and monuments'd be great...and yeah try downsizing the terrain...if fact save it for vegetation.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    AsylumSeeker : Have you seen Inca stonework? Some of it really does look molded, the stones interlock perfectly. If anything, the model is understating it.

inca_stonework_cusco_07.jpg
  • Aumakua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks everyone - edwardE thanks for asking about that. Here's an image where the Tris are displayed.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/mesaprs/Tris.jpg

I have geometry crashing through the floor planes mainly with the terracing so that I could vary the height of the same terrace pieces and save polys in some cases - if that makes sense - but the floor textures are all tiled. Should I change that around some or get rid of the overlapping geometry?

CheeseOnToast, thanks - that Incan stonework is so perfectly fitted I've heard you can't even put a sheet of paper between each stone. When I did the texture I was afraid of it looking "painted on" so I made it less perfect, but seriously those rocks got no gaps. In some other places I was going to use Mayan reference where there's mortar and messier stonework ... but I'm paying more attention to looking for a job now...
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Really like what you have so far, can't wait to see it fully textured. :)
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    Try zbrushing the hills. I do mountains regularly at work and zbrush has proved to be a helpful mountain and hill creation tool. I usually tecilate to around 100k polys then sculpt large shapes that are readable from a sillouet style. After your sculp bring the mesh back into your modeling program, poly reduce (while maintaining quads) to an ideal polycount. UV, apply texture and your done. I use XSI for the poly reduce feature which has extensive poly management systems for maintaining quads. I am sure 3dsmax comes close.