Homeā€ŗ Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - pestibug- Lokarr [stalker]

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
pestibug polycounter lvl 18
Alright, with renewed spirit I jump into the battle again!

For now just some sketch/thumb stuffs. I kind of have the idea I want to go with inmy head, already. Just have to fill in the blanks atm. So for now, sketchiness:

Ok, no images for now because I can't get images to work or whatever...

Just claiming my spot then I suppose laugh.gif
Time to go nuts! laugh.gif

sketches03bl3.jpg

sketches001tg5.jpg

Started on the anatomy sketch. Just to get a feel for he's build. armor and such will happen later. Just want to get the body down first.

dwanatomystudyqp1.jpg

Replies

• vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    GOGOGO PESTICLEEES
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    awesome pesti is in smile.gif
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha,

good to see you in, i'll make a thread later myself.

Would like to see you GO NUTS!!
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll go steady speed and try to finish it this year vahl smile.gif

mop: I might be gone for ages, but with Domwar.. Well, you can never really leave home they say.

Jerry, Cool to see ya around mate. I'll be keeping a close eye on what you're doing!
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, this is good stuff.

First of all i'm prefering head number 4 over what you have in the anatomy sketch, hat included.

Second, the legs are a bit familiar, i like the three toe version on your sketches alot though so it would be great if you pushed the sketch that way.

One last question, what class should i be thinking of here?

Great work.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    there are some realy cool heads around smile.gif
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going for stalker: scout/assasin style.
    He would use either Darkness/void or Summoning as aides to help him move around and silently take out the occasional enemy.

Apparently head 4 is favorite so, I suppose I should swap heads smile.gif
  • Frou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool stuff !!
    it's look's to Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frou, I'll take it as a huge compliment because odd world's art just rocks so hard!

Alright, head 4 is what most people prefer so far, so here's a study. See if I can find a nice way to connect it to this body.

dwhead4studyvw3.jpg
  • tores
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tores polycounter lvl 17
    Ah yeah pesti, liking this head more. looking sweet dude.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad I listened and made the switch, the other head, while cool in its own way foesn't have the same... regal/evilness.

Alright, did some work ont he body concept and seeing how this head works with it:

dwbodyoa0.jpg

And, a quick model to see how well the head translated into 3D, the mesh is rushed and dirty, but I like how it turned out. It'll be a nice base to work further on and later give it the mudluvin':

dwhead3dfa2.jpg

I suppose I'll go back and forth between modeling and concepting. I already have the basic idea in my head, the geometry will decide how the rest of the concept will flow around it.

So, more conceptin' and modelin' love heading this way. For now, I'm happy smile.gif
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so I'm hopping around between modeling and concepting. Just to see how mass/volume translates from paper to 3D.

So for now just focussing on the body, I already have ideas for the armor and all that cool jazz. Once the body is modeled I'll do paintovers for the armor concept etc etc.

updated concept/modelsheet.
    dwbody001cg6.jpg

quick arm sketch (dark spots are where there will be spikes)
    dwarmstudyss1.jpg

model so far.
    dwpreliminary001mx8.jpg

Right now not paying attention to how neat or tidy the model is. Just working, blocking it in, scaling, seeing what works and doesn't. Just preliminary works.
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UniqueSnowFlake polycounter lvl 12
    wow nice start grin.gif your flying along. Thanks for fixing my links as well grin.gif
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnx and no problem smile.gif
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good, nice mesh smile.gif
    If you're going for the regal look you could possibly try a straighter, more powerful arch to the neck/back (in the side view)?
    The way he's slumped over currently suggests weakness, or old age.

Paintover
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx for the paintover, and indeed if I'd go for regal I would agree and be thankfully using the tip. But, alas!

This guy will be a stalker, sneaking around (on all four's) and being hunched over pretty much most of the time killing enemies from behind and dark corners smile.gif.

I' write up his back story soon so people know what kind of direction I'm taking this guy
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time, messing around with the legs. Just kinda throwing somethign together. Not sure wetehr I like this or not to go with. Can't quite make upmy mind if I like the length too.
    Probably time to concept and do paintovers smile.gif

dwfull001bu5.jpg
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yesterday I was too tired to upload, so here it is, the body as it pretty much will be. Spikes will be less uniform. Only thing left on the body is adding a little spike on his heel, and a spike on the inside of his wrist to backstab with.
    Right now sketching some teeth designs that I'll upload later.

After that, cleaning up and takin' it into mudbox! But before that, paintovers, armor, colors etc etc laugh.gif

So far I'm pleased, pleased,pleased.

dwfull003ny4.jpg

Taking it easy and my sweet time with it, enjoying working on this guy very much!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    lookin great so far! Nice organic forms and the silhouette is super slick... especially digging the shoulder area.

crits: I'm not really digging the shape of the back of the head and neck... too smooth/uniform. He could really benefit with a strong shape up there to give his face as much attitude as possible. Maybe try giving him a more elongated cranium towards the rear, or some kind of cool spiked webbing structure?

my 2 cents, props for rocking through the character so fast and so well
  • 3DLam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    Great work so far... From the side he looks a little unbalanced (like he's falling backwards). Maybe it's just me. Keep goin!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, pose wise, he's off balance. I also feel like it would be a bit more solid if you scaled the upper body up a bit.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx guys, good crits, I shall elaborate on what I have in mind for him.

Ferg, I haven't thought about that, I do like how the head is atm. And I had an idea for a helmet, just didn't think much about it yet. But yes, maybe some sketching is in order here (yay for paintovers!)
    I still will have to look how it works with the pose, since He'll be a very hunched character, and as I picture him, moving/dodging around on all fours a lot of the time. Seeing how I plan to give him quite a massive backarmor (huge neck area) it might give clipping issues. Still, something to explore for sure! smile.gif

3DLam: yeah he does look like it, might even be, his feet are as far as I measured aligned to his point of balance. Anyway he'll be even more unbalanced due to the big armor he gets. The final pose will make all that up tho' so for now all is well.

Aesir: just keep an eye on what's going to happen with the armor. While I don't want to add much to the chest (he's not bulky, beefy or muscled, more leanish) I do want to add bulk to his back (due to him being hunched over). Today will probably be spend doing paintovers so hopefully tonight I have something to show where I want to take this.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, choices, choices. Help me out, which teeth should I go for? I'm liking 4 and 6 myself. Lets hear it from the crowd laugh.gif

dwteethstudyct0.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    6 smile.gif
    works with the gut design smile.gif
  • Paul_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely 6 I'd say
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    whoa pestibug.. how have you been??

go with 6!
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aight, 6 will be his chompers smile.gif

Peris, yeah been gone for a while, but had to enter the domwar of course. I've been pretty well, right now relaxing and looking around for a gig. Hoping to have a killer folio piece with this domwar entry!

Consider me back home with the green jolly giant now laugh.gif
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
  • Poly-Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly-Jon polycounter lvl 16
    I will have to jump on the band wagon an agree with 6
    realy inpressed with how quick and far you have got concept to poly mesh base its a very nice design well done.
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6 is the one indeed, I'ts unbelievable how fast this is going. I love it smile.gif
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all, I'm going for 6 ! laugh.gif

Hell Yea! : I don't know what it is, I'm actually taking my time with this, mostly thinking about stuff and ideas and little time modeling. Something must be flowing right I guess. Having a blast tho', big fun!

But now, time to think about armor. This is pretty much what I had in mind from the start, but I will do a few more. Armor is always pretty hard to figure out for me.

Umm, right, on the back, I don't know if those are teeth or not. The original idea was that it was just shiney/silverish stuff going on there, but now I might actually keep those as teeth. Maybe some monster mouth=ish thing. Anyway not sure yet and a couple more designs to come.

dwarmor001xg3.jpg

Are those teeth or not? Lets hear it!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I <3 Pesticles! laugh.gif

Yes, those are undoubtidly teeth. Keep working at that armour man.
  • Hildor_muthafo
    i really like the bulky forearms with the the thin long fingers. nice contrast/silhouette. cant wait to see this guy more fleshed out.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, 2nd armor design.

dwarmor002mb2.jpg
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    I'm leaning towards the original backpack, but with a more ornate head like the new one. Perhaps curved under into more of a snail shell shape?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    What the SHIT!?

This is crap - no where near slutty enough!
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naru: yeah for now I'm still in favor of armor 1, maybe mixed with some stuff of armor 2. I will do some more helmet designs and armor designs. Just toying around and seeing what's interesting.

Brome, shush you simple minded one. It's not finished yet tongue.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer the teeth part of the first backpack, and the ridges part of the second one, maybe try putting those bits together?
  • BlackB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like 6 by far laugh.gif
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3rd set, just playing with elements.

Mongrelman: yeah I wll mix and match parts of the armor, right now just feeling around for ideas around the basic concept I have for it.

dwarmor003af9.jpg
  • stalsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6 is cool! The base mesh is looking pretty crisp! I think you could thicken up his chest a little bit from a profile view he looks a little thin.
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Shit, things are progressing fast here. smile.gif cant decide between 4 and 6.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stalsby: I really like the chest as flat as it is, something completely diferent from what I normally do. Also I don't want him to look to powerful as in 'brute force'. He's more the backstabbing kind smile.gif

Belltann: yeah its all chugging along nicely. Got a good vibe going here.

Allllllright, no more teeth discussions! I've gone and went for nr 6. Close up shots once I've detailed/shaped em nicely in mudbox.
    For now, umm deceided to just steal bits from all the armors, so started to block that out now. Prepped the biggest part of the body for mudbox, still a little bit more to do, added some basic stuff, muscles and such. Just rough stuff so I can go nuts once I get to sculpting.

Not the most exciting post, just showing where I am today.
    dwfull004em4.jpg
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, time for a lil update. Took it easy the last few days, a little bit here, little bit there. Need to add a small armor piece on his hip, and some straps around his leg to fasten the leather bit there.

Threw in some basic colors and did the mouth, I like the teeth. Umm, some smoothing out needed here and there and then time for mudbox, tomorrow or the day after.

Smooth iteration 1 as you see it here, all other stuffs will be shaped and detailed in mudbox.

dwfull005dk0.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    cool

one thing I liked in your original concept was that the teeth were big and chunky, here you have many of them and they are quite small and thin...I think I liked the chunkyness better
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pimping the start of the sculpt still very much wip etc ect

dwfull007jm2.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    TOOOOF !!!
    nice start on the sculpt buddy smile.gif