Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - SupRore - Magma Greentooth avatar

Joseph Silverman
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
meh. Hate the brief, but doing some concepting anyway. Doubt anything will interest me enough to finish, but already have some down on paper. Art tomorrow. Been experimenting with using Greentooth as an integral part of the design, instead of just a decal.

=LATEST WIP PROGRESS=

1zgxekp.jpg

Replies

• indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YES!
    was hoping you'd take part in the war!
    can't wait to see what you pump out!

good luck man!
    i'm sure u'll manage something though u hate the brief..
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. Not really much of a 2d artist yet, but here's a start on the idea i've been kicking around. Haven't started much on the design for the character itself, aside from some experiments with the helmet/mask, but the artifact is lava element armor/gauntlet. Crits appreciated on both design and execution.

First image is what i'm leaning toward, second was my inital attempt to get the idea down on paper.

2qxnp0n.jpg
    m9vpy1.jpg

edit edit: haha, of the two images I decided to photograph/upload, i didn't include any of the hands. Going back and forth between lobsterlike claws and more traditional gauntlets. I'll get some images up for the whole arm later.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright lets see.
    the idea is pretty interesting, and i'd love to see you pull off the lava-goodness.

however, did you do lots of thumbnails? you could really push some crazy stuff using ideas of 'volcanoes' and the liquid nature of lava.
    also, i would suggest to think up something more creative than the usual "godhand," "godarm" "magic arm" thing. i actually avoided giving my guy a _complete_ rock arm / hand cuz i feel its overdone [i mean.. even recently, Nero from DMC4]

one final thing. step as far from 'humanoid' as you feel comfortable doing. i like doing that of late, cuz it allows me to be much more creative.

just my thoughts.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    I think the concept can be solid if you are maintaining a originality curve. The thing i found interesting about the concept is how the logo of polycount is forged like a piece of armor, thats original i suppose!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    You hate the brief? Its a pretty cool brief, you can do almost anything. Imagine a marine from quake running around without tech, what would he do? Its all open for interpretation and the more abstract the interpretation the more likely your piece will stand out. Try taking an idea you would have liked to do for dom war and making it fit the brief. I would really like to see you finish an entry smile.gif

Good luck
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You hate the brief?

[/ QUOTE ]

The diablo class + no technology (except guns(?)! and metalworking!) + artifact with only one 'elemental' motif bothers me a bit, yeah. I like fantasy, but not fantasy covered in arbitrary limitations. Having to double check any idea against the class system is especially annoying.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I see what you mean. There is always a work around though. I was thinking of doing an invoker in full plate armor with some cool magic gizmos. Fighter mage kinda deal. If you want to make a fighter with magical ability then just call it an invoker and give it the shit you want, noone can say shit.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, not much of an update, yet. Just the beginning of a digital concept, hardly started, just don't want to go too many days without an update.

1zgxekp.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not near as big of an update as i'd like, trying to design the armor... Got some perspective issues on this, i'm realizing, this pose is making it hard on me. Gotta finish up the armor design, and then start playing with the transition between artifact and traditional armor.

u2bs1.jpg
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    Hey SupRore, looking at this after a while I start seeing a bit too much repetition in the torso with those mostly parallel lines. I think they could work to emphasize the greentooth-shoulder a little more if they didn't wrap all the way around his body. You've added a couple seams at his side so that some of those strips' contours lead you back to the lava bits - which is what you're trying to emphasize, but I think they loop around way too far towards the back for it to be completely successful.

Another option would be overlaying another set of plates near the side that would cut off the lines before they terminate into the background and lead the viewer's eyes off the character. I could see some really interesting stuff happening up at the top with the right shoulder bit too.

I think you could probably play up the break between upper and lower torso a bit too, whether that's with color, relief, or just the over all design.
    But so far I'm really digging it, man. I really like the helmet so far, and the Greentooth-Lava-Arm/Shoulder is major badassery laugh.gif

I'm really looking forward to those melting bits on your armor, man.