Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I'm in a rush but thats rockin! laugh.gif love the head
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Really liking this guy, the last concept going into a refined detail of how you want the armor is cool rollin. And having the polycount logo in within one of the 3 circles is a nice touch.

Spark
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    that looks fantastic! i love the design! and how you made a pretty simple silhouette look very cool.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    That's looking awesome rollin!
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great man! he needs a big ass weapon to accentuate his design... and by big i mean BIG! keep it up!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    sexy armor design again rollin! it's working really well with the helmet. i'm getting a dominance war I/II vibe from him though, nothing magical or post-apocalyptic about him yet. ace it!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    thx all smile.gif

snowfly: jea thats true.. but as long as i don´t put some electric, hightech, steam-whatever into it ... smile.gif
    (and bc i love kicking these unclear rules again: realy well done armor and clothes existed looong bevor something electrical was invented and you don´t even need steampower.)
    and i was bored of doing some "ohhhhh i´m suuuch a magical-[whatever]" guy wink.gif

but: (!!) i want to show .. however.. that he was a good-(cg-talk tongue.gif)-king who is now obsessed by an demon who lived in this funny chestplate, the king once got as a gift and than incorporated into his armor.... baaaad idear....

i´m waiting with this until sculpting/texturing.. hope this will work

(and i don´t want to know how many bad-english-mistakes i´v put into this post...)
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    The armor looking very nice!
    It is not too wide chest on the front view?
    In the concepts he is looking more agile, nimble.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Oh, nice armour design mate smile.gif
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Nice armor details. Personally, I think the head could use a bit more love just as you have done with the body. But on the other hand, it could be an interesting style.. its up to you either way. Keep it up!
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    In theory his armor could have been made without technology, but it still looks like sci-fi and that is the key here. The challenge is fantasy because they want to see what we can come up with outside of the well-established futuristic styles, not to see how far we can push it towards them without tripping the wire. Your basic form could easily be made to accommodate a less techy-looking aesthetic with carvings, filigree, etc. in place of the machined details but you are quite purposefully resisting that and I think it will hurt you in the end.

I love the design, but the sci-fi style is a safe zone for a lot of artists, particularly game artists, and I can't help but feel part of the reasoning for the theme this year was to push all of us out of it.

At least play around with other aesthetics. You can always come back to this if you can't come up with something, but you should at least try.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    borderline or not.. that's a kickass design! smile.gif
    and for me it can be postapocalyptic.. it's not mad max.. but 1000 years after the machines war, I can really imagine this kind of outfit smile.gif
    I agree about the lack of magic feeling tho..
    can't wait to see more smile.gif
  • JoanPetit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice, armor its awesome and i really like the face smile.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    naruSol .. i don´t want to sound harsh. but.. i realy don´t care what they (fredH) want us to do...(bc i don´t realy know what he want us to do, bc he don´t realy wrote what he want us to do)
    i just care what the rules say and they don´t say "stuff that looks sci-fi is forbidden" if he wanted to forbid THAT he should had written THAT into the rules.

so lets see what the rules say:

>>No robots
    ok what is a robot and what not? it seems a cyborg is no robot.. so a robot seems to be something very techy-mechanical-nonorganic looking

so this is not a robot

>> no metal constructs
    what is a metal construct?!? i have no idear, but i know from fred, armor is no metal construct

so all fine here too

>> no magical golums
    i have no idear what a magical golum looks like

so maybe mine is one or maybe not.. i don´t care

>> no cyborgs
    jiha.. best ever.. yes .. mine could be a cyborg.. peppis too, roosters too.. i think everyting what i´v seen till now could be a cyborg.. bc a cyborg is looking like its not an cyborg (alien 2....)

hurray.. best rule ever.... so i don´t care

>> no steam engines / steam equipment
    this time its easy.. no steam anywhere..

all fine

>> nothing with electronics
    this is realy one of the few absolutely clear rules
    and if you want to be very strict.. nothing which would need electric power to be made

and i can say.. the varlach does not have anything what use electric-power, or need electric-power to be build

ok thats one thing.. the other thing is i don´t want to jump the fantasy-train.. bc i hate the mainstream-fantasy-magic-train, BUT, and here you´r absolutely right, i can push this style more away from the sci-fi-mainstreem-train.. and like i already mentioned.. thats what i will try

and don´t get me wrong.. this is nothing against you.. its more about these rules i can´t stand (like last year, and what happend last year... nothing... bc fred don´t want to pic on us.. he´s realy a nice guy, he just can´t write usefull rules wink.gif )
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    imo stuff that looks futuristic is absolutely a-ok for this comp, as long as it can be built without special tech, or has been salvaged from previous war.. Look at it this way, we're talking thousands of years in the future, even if there is no electricity theres all this futuristic machinery and dead technology lying about, which can well influence the design of non-advanced weapons and armour.
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    Works for me :: thumbs up ::
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i really like his head
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Rollin, I am totally in agreement with you concerning the rules. I think FredH plays to much AD&D with his classes, and artifacts, and unnecessary what-not. Should I roll a 20-sided dice to see what weapon my character uses? Grief.

This is looking really cool, and I can't wait to see more. Continue Following YOUR idea of how this character should look, and it will certainly kick ass!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    GReat Design! This guy looks really fun.
  • TheArgyleKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't see anywhere where it says it has to be fantasy, just not super future machine. Post apocalyptic is a pretty broad category. Do what you want man, in the end its your design and you should be happy with it.

Looking cool so far dude.

-Argyle
  • gwad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wooo great design ! i like your armor .
  • bilbana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bilbana polycounter lvl 17
    Totally agree! If I see another lotr theme mage/warrior I`m gonna barf. And you know a theme has been worn out when you can just write lotr and everyone knows what your talking about.

Anyway your design is awesome. The one thing I don`t like is the wolverine thingy. I sort of like him looking a bit goofy and I love the head. Those claws detracts from that though. I really think he should have a rifle or a gun, sort of like the one rocketeer has. Don`t know what the rules say about that but you don`t seem to care much anyway. He looks a bit world war 1 ish and I love it. Just my opinion.

I agree with you about the rules. And it`s future but no tech is allowed, but It`s still some interstellar spacewar with wormholes..confusing. Makes for some interesting interpretations though. But if the judges are just gonna say "all we wanted was dungeons of dragons" in the end none of it is gonna matter...But who cares anyway, we are doing this for fun right? At least I am.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    thx folks!

but slowly i have to post some new stuff
    unfortunately its not realy neeeew.. so see it as mid-core entertainment crazy.gif

- okaaii.. high is as good as finished, head not sure .. as usual..
    - high-detail -> photoshop
    - lowpoly is 90% ready
    - zbrushed only soft-body-parts
    hmmm..
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    What!? Your almost finished smile.gif Good work mate. smile.gif
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow that was quick, I just hope all these details dont get too flat when normal mapped.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jie the alltime question.. how will it look like if its just a normalmap.. but i´m confident, last year it worked quite well

and quick? no no.. all the others are just damn lazy wink.gif
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    badass! Did he get punched in the tits a lot before he designed this armor? Seems to be his most protected area smile.gif

wicked design man, the execution is really doing it justice. One crit: the blades on teh arm are pretty thin and dont look like they'd do much damage before snapping off. Maybe try thickening them along the blade so he has the support he'll need when he's cutting down legions of suckers from other forums?
  • 3DLam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    Something Hellraiser about it.. Creepy! Out of curiousity, why the small feet? Great work!
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking awesome, I love the way the chest armor runs into the arms.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    The flatness of the back bugs me abit, but the rest is killer work mate.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I am amazed at how well you translate your work 3d, I am loving the updates!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    The flatness of the back bugs me abit, but the rest is killer work mate.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a good point.. thats a very good point!!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i guess i make them both now confused.gif

wipsss or so
    heads.jpg
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    you're only making it harder to choose! I love them both!
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Removable helmet smile.gif You got teh polies for it fool!

This rocks
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ok again..
    nooow im somehow finished with the high (at least for the moment)

new pic, this time with the other head.. just to be fair..

edit: still old claw-blades.. sorry, but i will change them to make them look a bit stonger!

drom_high_2k_zb.jpg
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    This is awesome man, I'm stoked for you.

Cant think of any crits smile.gif its great.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    this is seriously badass

please export to ut3, too smile.gif
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    this is super fun. one of my favorites of the comp!
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! I like the simpler head. It contrasts well with the busy torso.
  • Mathorne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathorne polycounter lvl 17
    Quite possibly my favorite design so far. Keep the texture nice and simple like the concept and you're a winner.

The cloth folds on his arm could use a little work, but it's absolutely minor and is completely outshined by everything else.

As EtotheRic said, you've got an awesome contrast between the head and body, but I feel like you need something really sharp on the armour. The knee pads, the chest plate and so on could do with some totally crisp edges just to make sure you have the whole spectrum. A few bold details in the silhuette would push it a bit further too. For instance something on his left wrist where the blades are attached.

But this is all minor and if you feel you're ready to move on, go for it!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    thx!

i have to go on.. time is running out.. even with the extention

working on the textures right now.. all problems will be fixed there, if possible

and there is other work i have to do :O

drom_low_03e_nm.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    normals came out great!

running out of time.. baha.. im halfway through modelling! crap..
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    that looks awesome-and in time- to me smile.gif
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Rollin, you`ve got an outstanding character, hes baked and ready to roll, + 14 days in front of you. Your doing awesome imo. Keep it up!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    btw you are at about 7k tris, where are you planning to add the other 2k tris, did you know the triangle limit is now 9k?
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, the normal map baked out really well! Just hammer out a texture and you'll have plenty of time to tweak it.