Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - GED - Mint

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    most of the hard surface stuff done now. Im gonna take this into mudbox soon and add all the folds and wrinkles and joins and stuff.

I removed the shoulder armour and added an armour pad to the leg cause it looked far too vulnerable. Please Crit!!
    progress10_by_SirCula.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I like the hard surface modeling, the shoulder pad in the last pic wasn't the same shape as the concept.

His thumb is still too long compared to the rest of his fingers.

I think you should remove the tubes around his arms and shoulder and instead sculpt them in as a part of the body.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]

His thumb is still too long compared to the rest of his fingers.

I think you should remove the tubes around his arms and shoulder and instead sculpt them in as a part of the body.

[/ QUOTE ]

point taken on the thumb but his hands are really big in the concept so Im still working on how to achieve that.

As for the "tubes", theyre meant to be like tree branches or roots, do you mean I should do something thats more like my concept? its a pity if I really need to change it cause Ive spent alot of time integrating them into the sculpt.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you could bake them in as a mesh displacement in mudbox, then they would be part of the mesh.

A good way to fix his hands is to put a sphere in his hand to grip on to.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    new stle for roots and branches, thanks Ironbear, I think this is heading in a direction moretrue to the concept now

progress11_by_SirCula.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, much much better, the hands look better and you have the roots going into the center of the chest like the concept.

Nice addition to the hard surface bits!

How is mudbox handling the polycount so far, are you isolating areas and using partial subdivision yet?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks. Mudbox is currently at about 1.5 million polys with everything displayed(my computer cant handle much more about 2.5 is my limit), I dont know if I need to use partial subdivision as more detail might just be overkill and not really noticable. I will need to do something abouth sculpting the armour and stuff though, I might just import lots of seperate pieces. The blades and the way they are attached still needs quite a bit more work too.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    more sculpting done.

progress12_by_SirCula.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jep it´s getting better and better.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    what do you guys think should the safari shorts go ???

so many people seem to dislike them, I could transform them into some cargo trousers feeding into the boots or something?
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the shorts personally, but a long patch of cloth connecting to the shorts leading down to the knee/boot area would be interesting.

If it's a cargo material then it would probably bunch up around the knee.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    a long patch of cloth connecting to the shorts leading down to the knee/boot area would be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean by this? Its a little hard to imagine as Im not quite sure, I was just going to do cargo trousers bunching up as they go into the knee area and the boots.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I mean lengthening the the shorts by connecting pants legs to them.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think high poly is just about done. Any crits? What do you think about the new trousers? My computer cant really do much more than this, Im already hiding and unhiding things all the time.

mint_high_poly_by_SirCula.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The arm blade looks kickass, especially where the sword attaches. Can't wait to see the texturing next.

Can you post some close-ups of the front/back of head, and the arm?

Have you thought about adding some twigs/leaves on him?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    spent all the time I could get this weekend and Ive only got this far with the low poly frown.gif Im making it using edge extrudes and placing each vert by hand...theres gotta be a faster way! but this does at least result in decent edge flow some of the time.

progress_14_by_SirCula.jpg

please crit or comment people, ironbears been some help but Id really appreciate some more input.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i always work back from my highpoly (before zbrush) or from a midlevel subdevision (after zbrush)

if i retop it would take me 10 times as long
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    In the d'artist series with kevin lanning he explains his workflow in high detail. From what he says, the epic team always recreates low polys from scratch after making the high poly, because they need perfect mesh results.
    I don't know if its necessary here, since you will likely not be using it for animating, so what ever is fastest for you is probably what you want.
    Personally I rebuild the low poly from scratch every time as you are. But its mainly because with my initial low poly base mesh (for high poly generation), it is always too messed up to use and would take way longer to adjust, then just starting from scratch.
    Im by no means as experienced as many of the people on the board, but I hope this helps.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I save copies of my base mesh as I go.

For my head, I took the second lowest level from zbrush and removed loops to knock out most of the polygons, then got down to some target welding.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    This is interesting stuff yeah I have d'artist character modelling 2 and Im doing what I can without polyboost. I tried exporting low level mudbox meshes but that only works for the body of the character, all the hard surface objects dont have low level versions to work with. I guess I will just have to do things this way for now and see wether I can get a good bake. This is only my second normal mapped character really and the first one was really simple in comparison.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried importing the hard surface stuff into zbrush and recalculating lower subdivisions?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ironbearxl wrote: »
    Have you tried importing the hard surface stuff into zbrush and recalculating lower subdivisions?

I have right now and it turns out there are triangles in the mesh somewhere so it cant do that, anyway that usually results in a really messy mesh :/ . Im going to get more work done on mint on thursday till monday when Im not at work.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    most of the low poly is done, any crits? any idea if this will bake properly? the pic shows the high poly poking through in places and I intend to refine some shapes more like the belts leading to the medic pouch etc.

oh yeah its only at 5000 tris so Ive got 4000 spare :/ so really crits on how to spend these polys would be great!

progress_15_by_SirCula.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's ok for the highpoly to intersect with the lowpoly, that looks like it should bake fine.

if you post a wire view it would be easier to crit, but I would spend the rest of the polys on the silhouette.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Im busy doing the UV mapping.

does anyone who uses 3ds max 8 or 9 know how to easily put multiple objects on to one uvmap layout?

I cant seem to find a way other than either guessing or outputting on to an image from each uvmap.

EDIT: ok I found a thread here discussing it and it seems you just have to attach everything :/ thats not ideal but I guess I will have to just do that
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could just unwrap everything piece by piece -> attach it all -> arrange it -> detach -> bake.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    jerry wrote: »
    You could just unwrap everything piece by piece -> attach it all -> arrange it -> detach -> bake.

yup thats exactly what Ive done now :) the baking isnt going so well cause I had planned on using xnormal but it doesnt seem to be letting me see both meshes in the 3d viewer

progress_16_xnormal_by_SirCula.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm. I'm using XNormal now and it's working perfectly. It still needs some serious UI work done to it, but it's a wonderful tool.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i set up the cage in max and export the high and low into the xnormal file format

than i check (use cage) in the lowpoly-section

and than i bake the maps.. so no need to use the viewer.. in fact i don´t use the viewer at all
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks for the tips guys, strangely enough I found that just importing the high poly as 2 seperate meshes instead of one big mesh has avoided all these problems, maybe its something to do with memory management. Anyway now I just need to spend a while adjusting the cage. Do you people know why Im getting bits of the arm appearing on the side of the torso and the inside of the legs appearing on the other leg etc? can the cage fix this or is this a ray distance issue?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    That looks good man! It's cool you have so many poly's to spare. I would do what Iron bearxl says and work on the sillohette as much as I can, also; add some really nice chamfers here and there for good transitions from surface type to surface type.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive adjusted the cage and then tried a bake and alot of the rays just arent hitting!

what do I have to do to get this to work, Ive tried making my mesh much bigger and much smaller and Ive tried the same on the ray distance, nothing seems to make any difference!

this is sooo frustrating and I cant use max to do the bake cause it crashes when I try loading my high poly pieces.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    what program do you use for the bake and where do you setup the cage?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    rollin wrote: »
    what program do you use for the bake and where do you setup the cage?

Im doing the cage and bake in xnormal, max cant cope and crashes alot. still no joy after much trial and error.

progress17_bad_normals_by_SirCula.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    maybe your not set something like "use cage" but i´v never build the cage with xnormal

can´t you export a mid-subd from zbrush into max for cage-building?

edit: you can put an optimize modifier on the mid-subd model and it will work even more fluent, while building the cage
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having normal map issues too - most of my model is now done, but a few parts still fail to render.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    If you have cages enabled ( sure the "use cage" is checked ) and got strange ray fail probles try to scale up a bit the meshes. Due to floating point numerical precision, meshes with radius near [2.0,6.0] can be conflictive. Try to keep the radius in range [90,1000] always.

And remember to do a "Freeze transformation" in Maya or Reset XForm in 3dsmax before exporting... and don't use the 3dsmax OBJ exporter... is pretty bugged.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    jogshy wrote: »
    If you have cages enabled ( sure the "use cage" is checked ) and got strange ray fail probles try to scale up a bit the meshes. Due to floating point numerical precision, meshes with radius near [2.0,6.0] can be conflictive. Try to keep the radius in range [90,1000] always.

And remember to do a "Freeze transformation" in Maya or Reset XForm in 3dsmax before exporting... and don't use the 3dsmax OBJ exporter... is pretty bugged.

Thanks for the reply, Im not sure what reset xform does but I can only do that on my low poly mesh because my high poly doesnt import into max, it just crashes. Also I will try and get a better obj exporter...I will look for one now then.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    you don´t have to reset xform the high.. and if you bake the normals in xnormal use the xnormal sbm exporter out of 3dmax

sbm´s load ... 10times or so faster than obj´s, and they have no normal-bugs
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    you don´t have to reset xform the high.. and if you bake the normals in xnormal use the xnormal sbm exporter out of 3dmax

sbm´s load ... 10times or so faster than obj´s, and they have no normal-bugs

thanks rollin, Im exporting the high poly straight from mudbox so I have to export as obj, the low I can use an sbm. I will do more experimenting later but at the moment now that Ive re-exported the low poly it just seems to render nothing at all on the bake now...sooo Im beginning to wonder If I can finish this in time.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    any idea how to stop getting backface hits in xnormal?

normal_map_mess_by_SirCula.jpg

this is a different example to my character but I think it may be the same problem, I need to sort this out really soon or dom war just will not happen for me :(
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    here again: your normals are flipped
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    here again: your normals are flipped

LOL yes Im gonna see if this is the case for my character too later when Im home.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had that issue too - I'd been working with double sided faces in Silo and some were flipped. It was an easy fix on both the low and high poly objects though.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ok Ive done some investigating and exported my mesh again but Im still getting similar results. I cant believe i'm still fighting to get the normal map, its been almost a week and I cant seem to get xnormal to just give me a normal map.

Usecage is on, the cage is fairly good, the mesh is big and the viewer is working, Ive tried making it 100xbigger and making it 100xsmaller, nothing makes any difference. discard back face hits is not ticked so you should be able to see if there were any backface hits...so where are the rays going!?

normal_mess_2_by_SirCula.jpg

xnormal_meshs_by_SirCula.jpg
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    I bet you need to set any option to export the OBj with the correct face winding order.. in ZBrush is something like FlipX/FlipY. xNormal expects faces as front=CCW order, exactly as was strictly defined in the OBJ file format from Maya... that's why you were seeing the normals green... because rays are discarding opposite ones... You can try to uncheck the "Discard backface hits" options... but the way to solve that is probably to touch some option in the Mudbox OBJ exporter.
    Also try to set the "smooth normals" option... that will autocalculate the normals for you.

Also notice to use the cage you need to save it in a SBM or to use an external cage file... If you are using OBJs only(without external cages) the "use cage" will do nothing.

Can you show us the cage+lowpoly+highpoly ( to see if it's well set covering completely the highpoly ) and also UV-layout and your hi/low poly slot settings pls?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    jogshy wrote: »
    that's why you were seeing the normals green... because rays are discarding opposite ones... You can try to uncheck the "Discard backface hits" options... but the way to solve that is probably to touch some option in the Mudbox OBJ exporter.

The normal map pictured above was generated with discard backface hits unchecked...so its not hitting the backfaces or the frontfaces? Ive been looking in mudbox and all they give you is the option to export to obj thats all I cant find, no options to do with the format.

xnormal_settings_by_SirCula.jpg

mint_uvmap_by_SirCula.jpg

xnormal_meshes_by_SirCula.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ok as far as i know you have to set the cage a bit bigger than it would seem,

i have not enabled the ao thing on the high

i have enabled the smooth-normal on the low and disabled the bla-override

enabled discard backface hits and enabled "closest hit if ray fails"

i´v set the cage in max and exportet as sbm and some parts as obj (bc i can´t import them into max)

i´v rendered several passes for all the objects and parts and fixed some holes in ps

that was my way
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ok as faar as i know you have to set the cage a bit bigger than it would seem

Im just checking but I think you might have nailed the problem with that statement right there, the cage was so close to the mesh that xnormal wasnt even recognising the distance somehow?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    a week of confusion and I just had to enlarge the cage a bit more than I would have expected.

I always thought that the closer you approximated to the low poly the better the cage would output the normal map? but I found that just wasnt the way it worked for this mesh.

progress_17_by_SirCula.jpg

thanks Rollin!