Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - GED - Mint

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Just reserving a place and showing who Im fighting with here smile.gif. Im also on gameartisans but I was on polycount waaay before that. Got some ideas and I will sketch some concepts soon, Im thinking invoker or warrior for me.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    haha better get some thumbs in here quickly. Heres a few ideas, there might be more. Got a story for my character playing through my head now laugh.gif.
    dom_war_thumbs_by_SirCula.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    nice silhouettes, looking forward to seeing more smile.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Agree with diZzy, but leaning more towards 2.
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Yup, nr 2 for the go.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    you're only getting started. more thumbs!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks for the support guys! Im leaning toward 2 myself and couldnt help but do little sketches of the kind of character Ive got developing in my head in between my work today.
    character_roughs1_by_SirCula.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    heres more thumbnail silhouettes

dom_war_thumbs_2_by_SirCula.jpg
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    10 immediately jumps out at me. Everything else looks pretty standard by-the-book. Some neat shapes, but "Seen it" for the most part. You could always mix it up enough to make it original of course, but the unique silhouette certainly gives you a leg up.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I realised that 10 seemed too much like the little grunts in halo 1 to me and kept thinking of ways to better realise concept 2. So heres a little messing about for a half hour.

concept_thumb_big_by_SirCula.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i definitely like the things on his arms but it seems like the rest of him is pretty standard despite the ornate detail. it seems like because all the detail is concentrated so close to the body, there isnt much else to pop his silhouette. maybe you could flare some of that shoulder armor? or flare his legs and feet? just suggestions but overall i like your style.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    It also looks too robotic, which is a bad thing in this contest...
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah the last sketch didnt do much for me so I wacked up the volume on the wierd bits and created a more interesting silhouette, what do ya think?

in case people were wondering, hes an organic/foliage based lifeform so he would be kinda like young wood mixed with skin and branches/roots coming out of him and the blue crystal blades are grown directly from his body due to the artifact which is a stone that is inside him and protrudes from his back.
    concept_thumb_5_by_SirCula.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    yea, that looks better! i likes. i would still maybe pop some of that armor off his shoulder. i think the spikey things on his right shoulder cold be bigger...give some assymmetry to him to give him a more unique sihouette. overall though he's lookin great!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    May I introduce Mint. He was a lowly medic in the garrison of a small forest village when the first wormhole appeared. The garrison was completely destroyed by the machines when on a patrol through the region except for Mint who has extrordinary natural healing ability. The town needed a hero and Mint was the natural choice, he was the only choice! So Mint decided that he would do something dangerous that may just bring his village victory in the coming war, he decided to venture into the hills to a cave which crackles with the power of lighting. Other people had seen this place and many had perished trying to enter the cave and find its power source but Mint knew it was his time, he had the natural ability to heal himself from wounds, it was his profession, if anyone could find the lighting artifact it was him. After an hour of torturous journey he discovered the artifact, a glowing stone in the wall with foliage growing all around it. it seemed to call to him and as he put his hands on it it flowed into his body pulsing through his veins like poison...then came the power. He saw crystalline blades sprout from his arms and felt the stone rupture through his back, his body was distorted and he looked an alien to his own eyes. When he returned members of his own village were scared of him but he retained his goal and trained in the arts of his artifact. He found he could extend his blades reach huge distances using hardened air pressure during a swing and anything he hit was blasted with the power of a lightning bolt. Just about anything he hit with the blades exploded on contact. Now hes ready, for the Dominance war!

!picture further down thread! laugh.gif
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, i really like this alot, it a big improvement over the thumbnail which left me kinda cold, esp the head part.

The color version fixed that and then threw some extra juice on it. So things that you might want to look over:

The blades dont really pop like they did before, the color of his clothes is almost the same as his body, you might want to try something darker, i'm not sure. The clothes themselves look very contemporary which takes some of the "magic" away.

That's about it, can't wait to see this in 3d.
    Jerry
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    colors are cool, but i would push the fabric-color a bit away from the body
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    colors are cool, but i would push the fabric-color a bit away from the body

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the crits guys, yeah I was thinking the same thing myself Im gonna work on the leather/clothing colour. I may go back and do another pass on shadows too, theyre too flat and inconsistent in my opinion, I wanted them to look a bit frazzetta but at the moment it looks more like Joe Mad to me.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ok Ive edited it, added more shadows and specular and adjusted the characters wood skin to be more green so that the leather clothing could remain the light leather safari colour I originally intended. I wanted it to look a mix of contemporary, sci fi humanistic alien craetures and magical/fantasy.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    made a simple basemesh and did a quick head sculpt to get better prepared. I gotta make alot of basemeshes now :P.

mint_head_test_sculpt_by_SirCula.jpg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    very nice start!
  • jlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    head looks awesome so far!!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    very cool. like him without hair tho. smile.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    cargo shorts are ruining it for me.

digging his boots
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks everyone, Ive updated the concept a bit cause the colours were looking weak, a chance to explore photoshops adjustment layers further hehe.

Thanks Bobo and others, I admire your works and its great that I get to have some fun with you people during dominance war.

Sectaurs - what exactly do you dislike about the cargo shorts? hehe, would you prefer more armour? or is it just a bad fashion statement :P. I kind of want this guy to seem like hes come from an army unit in an african forest. The khaki safari mixed with western idea came from that.

oobersil - I like him bald too but I feel I will like him even more with the wierd hair Ive got planned, if it goes as planned it will be like sharp tree roots/bark growing from his head in a grayish colour. Ill see when I get there I guess.
    Mint_DWIII_by_SirCula.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome!
    Why not use polycount green for the blades and energy cells(?) on his chest?
    Oh and the African influence is a nice touch, very unique.
  • auburenite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking the blades, they look really organic! The cargo shorts might be too clean. They look freshly washed compared to the other parts of his outfit. Shred them up, rip off a leg, or maybe try patching them up like the upper part of his armor. It could add more texture and continuity with his overall appearance. Other than that keep up the great work! grin.gif
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    cool concept Ged.

Blades are sweet. Would be cool to see it with some other colors too.

Not liking the cargo shorts either.
    It's like he has some cool armor thats connected to his underwear. He looks under dressed for battle.

Keep after it!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks again and thanks even more for the crits. Thats a good idea jaco I might put some of that patch/harder leather armour on his leg so its not so vulnerable. As for the colour of the blades/energy its blue because his artifact has lightning/air power. So my logical choice was blue...can green lightning exist though? Heres a colour comparison what do you think?

Mint_colour_choice_by_SirCula.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    any comments on the polycount green or electric blue?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    atm blue fits better.. but maybe an overall color change would allow to use the green ones..
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ok Im sticking with blue for now. Heres my progress on the base so far. Just trying to block in the forms before I build them up properly using these simple meshes, I dont know if other people do this, I dont get the chance to make characters very often, do people just go straight into building finished peices of armour etc? Theres only one traingle on this dude and its on his bum frown.gif I cant get rid of it easily.

DWIII_Progress1_by_SirCula.jpg
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are triangles a huge deal? I actually have quite a few on my base mesh...Doesn't ZBrush take care of them in some way? I'm not a huge Zbrush guru. I think your topology is pretty solid, maybe add some more edgeloops in the head for detail and block out the basic shape of the facial features? Also there looks like some long stretched faces on the feet, you might consider adding an edge loop there as well to not only round out the toe area, but allow for more square polygons for sculpting in ZBrush...(thats assuming your sculpting in Zbrush)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I dont think triangles are a big problem but if I can avoid them I think its better, Ive heard of people having their whole mesh get triangulated just because of a few triangles but I dont know what caused that, Im sure it will be ok. I dont really intend to scupt the feet as they will be inside boots so I havent done much with them. Hopefully I can get the rest of the armour roughed out by the end of the week. Then I will work on the high poly in between max and mudbox.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this is quite alot of work for me, Im not used to doing characters like this, more progress:

progress2_by_SirCula.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Sweet concept. I like how you've rendered the transition of the flesh into the blades and the beginning sculpt on the head looks great!
  • Heart Murmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet concept dude, the model is turning out great, keep it up!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks for the encouragement, heres the start on the sculpt.

DW3_progress4_by_SirCula.jpg

and I made some stamps to help with the wood like appearance of his muscles and the branches/roots growing from him.

wood_stamps_by_SirCula.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    more sculpting, tried out my new stamps too. Pity my computer isnt really up to going much higher than this, its at 1 million polys but when I subdivide up to 4 million it just gets really unusable.

I could still do much more on this sculpt, what do you think? should I try to match it to the concept more?
    progress5_by_SirCula.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    spent some time tightening the sculpt a bit. still needs more work to make it more like roots and branches.
    progress7_by_SirCula.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good, but the texture isn't coming across as wood atm, more like stone.
    I'd get rid of that noise, it's going against the grain of the wood. Just do some normal sculpting and try to define individual strains of muscle/tendon/root.
    You've got a nice sense of flow in your concept though, so I'd just copy what's going on there.
    Sorry if I don’t make sense, it’s late.
    Keep it up!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks Jaco, yeah I was thinking the same thing, it means a lot more work but it should be worth it for the quality. Ive spent an hour on it already and I can see it will be better if its closer to the concept but in an hour all Ive managed to sculpt is the chest and a bit of the arms, lots of work!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Have a wee look at Man Thing:

head_cu.jpg
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    the thumb is way too long, notice in your model how it ends where the fingers do. wink.gif

looks nice.

edit:

no wait other way round, make the fingers longer.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks for the crits jfletcher and rick, I will edit the fingers...somehow, maybe only when its all done and I can adjust the low poly. I knew there was something wrong with them but couldnt figure out what it was.

Rick, yeah my character is starting to get a little bit of man-thing style branches and details now that Im sculpting all the details on and not using stamps. Im thinking a mix between man-thing and this jeff murchie concepts skin/bark details and texture.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_d-N1ING5g6M/RjE5dZg2M1I/AAAAAAAAAC8/7T2_BPCz4MM/s1600-h/Murchie_Jeff_Ent.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ok almost there on the sculpt, the blades are still placeholders and I think I will make some geometry and stretch it over the blades and sculpt it to make them look more organic.

progress8_by_SirCula.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I like where you're going with the detailing of the body, keep it up!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks Ironbear

Working on the armour this weekend, its tough sticking to the concept with all these turbosmooth's but I want to be able to sculpt it later.
    progress9_by_SirCula.jpg

I think the over shoulder armour plate is gonna have to go! what do you think?