Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Xaltar - Vorg

Replies

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    rollin - I used a combination of mouse, shitty tablet and pencil and paper on my concept. My tablet sux balls, wish I had just spent the extra $$ and gotten a wacom. Never buy a Trust tablet, they can't even draw curved lines mad.gif

Thanks guys, I have bulked him up a fair bit more and messed with the head a bit. At first I was a little timid with the proportions but then I went completely over the top and toned it back smile.gif Much more fun than generic humanoid No. 134.

pro.jpg

rollin - I used a combination of mouse, shitty tablet and pencil and paper on my concept. My tablet sux balls, wish I had just spent the extra $$ and gotten a wacom. Never buy a Trust tablet, they can't even draw curved lines mad.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    right now he seems unbalanced i prefered the previous update, play around with proportions, really liking the face btw, but fix that mesh it is looking chaotic wire wise wink.gif good luck man !
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Johny, updated the pic above.

The more I play the more I like it. Got some armor ideas forming now too smile.gif

[edit] Hit refresh if you see the same pic as before, I overwrote the old image on my website.
  • WickedFingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea that's better for the torso and up. Just make sure his legs can support all that upper body weight, his ankles are about to snap.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some wires, still cleaning the mesh up but could use some extra eyes.

construct.jpg

Done for today.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Guy's, lets just get silly with it. Free yourself, and take it to the limit...add some whacked out armor and win this thing.
    xaltsillygp1.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha nice Cholden but a little too comic book for my tastes.

Here is a very rough armor idea, a black, sleeveless leather trechcoat with steel shoulder pads smile.gif I will add a cool multi buckle belt and quite a few other accessories too but thought I would post the idea here first.

Concept.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    This started out as an anatomy crit (upper arms), but I got carried away.

PaintOver-1.jpg

I think cholden's option would still be better than something as generic as this though.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Jaco, thanks mate that has given me quite a few new ideas smile.gif

More of an update. This is kinda what I had in mind, almost like a post apocalyptic werewolf cowboy smile.gif

yeah.jpg

So much fun hehe. I also made his feet properly now as well as tweaked proportions a fair bit. The rest I'll tweak in mud/Z when I get to sculpting the guy.

Thanks for all the comments guys, helps a lot smile.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unwrapped the head (after some serious tweaking) and did a basic highpoly bake to help me get the armor to suit the character in the face, plus it looks cool :P

yeah2.jpg

Made the head a bit bigger too, it brings the proportions more in check and makes the character look less cartoonish I think.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    head is better!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I'm getting annoyed. I am trying to bake a normal map using Xnormal and its working great except for one highly irritating fact, it is baking with the Z axis inverted and as a result just won't render properly in max. I have a tangent space map that I generated aswell and that works fine so long as I check "screen" under method in my normals options. I tried using "flip red/green" and all other combinations it just won't work.

Anyone have any ideas as to why my normals are baking with the light source from the bottom instead of the top? I will post up pics if needed but I am sure you know what I mean.

SO frustrating, 2 hours thrown away messing about with baing settings frown.gif

[edit] Flip green seems to have solved it but is there any way to fix this so I don't need to flip anything?

[edit2] hehe forgot to post my progress.

Haven't done a lot due to time constraints but here's what I have.

yeahdl7.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to get a bit more done today. Still haven't solved the inverted z axis on the normal map but at a push the flip green trick will do the job.

yeahak4.jpg

Just fleshing out the armor details in 3d as much as I can before I pull it into Z. I'm keeping the design fairly simple but hopefully it will read well when I'm done.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Xaltar, he's coming along. You're on the right track, keep your focus on getting all the elements in blocked out form so you can see how they all look working together. Right you've got some detailing that will probably render to to near subpixel level in your normal map, not worth modeling out this early as you may have to rearrange how the elements flow later on. It may feel like trudging along, but it will save you a lot of back and forth over time. :-) It's 3AM over here, but I've got some styling crits for you, probably post em tomorrow with a paintover. Keep it up mate!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mate smile.gif Nothing more to show yet but I'm looking forward to your crits.

Trying to flesh out a color scheme for the skin atm, I figure it will heavily impact how I put the armor together. So far I think I'm going with green and red. My thinking being that he has red blood therefore he should have some red in his skin in places, particularly where there is a lot of bloodflow.

Hope I can find the time to finish this before the deadline, parenting is time consuming.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while, and not a hell of a lot done. I just can't find the time and motivation to work on this.

Heres a WIP on the head texture. I got a new laser mouse so I decided to break it in texturing the head. I haven't even finished the highpoly for the rest of him yet mad.gif

fookyespj0.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm out. I just can't get enough time to work on this. There are too many things left to do and nowhere near enough time to do it all. I'll keep plodding away at it but I won't be done by deadline. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and we'll get an extention. Anyway, thanks to everyone who took the time to comment.

[edit] Here is where I'm at. I've hit a wall. Not being able to really sit down and work on this makes it really hard to get ideas flowing frown.gif

whateveryx9.jpg
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Dont give up just yet Xaltar. See how much more you can push him on the model before you jump to texturing. And lets all beg Fred to extend the deadline..