Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Xaltar - Vorg

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
1 more for Polycount

I'll start whiping up some concepts soon.

Replies

• Michael Knubben
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, don't have time yet but soon. Just put up my thread to show what side I'm on.

Polycount FTW
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaah, the virtual 'coming out of the closet', then?
    Hope to see something here soon, even if it's just a few sketches and thoughts about what you're thinking of doing.
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yea xaltar!
    lets see that big leap forward!
    improvements ftw!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking a different tack this year. I threw around some ideas for a skull in mudbox and this is what I settled on. Based on this I'll do a paintover for the muscle, skin etc and then my concept will begin to take form. 20 mins in mudbox from a cube.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9852/skullrd6.jpg

Last year I had huge issues because I had 0 grasp of anatomy, trying not to make that mistake this year smile.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing with the skull I made this. Nothing set yet though I was just bored and had some time to kill.

I like the profile atm but its late and I'm tired so I'll see how bad it really is in the morning.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2436/headidea1ne2.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nice start on the sculpt, but I'd recommend doing some thumbnail/ silhouette studies first. They're quick and easy and you'll definitely end up with something better than if you had jumped straight into modeling.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    gotta agree with Jaco. the modeling looks pretty good but it's always better to lay down ideas first and flush stuff out from simple thumbs...you'll be much happier with the result!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I have been sketching out a few ideas on paper this year smile.gif To be honest I just sat down to doodle in mudbox and it grew into this. I didn't intend to spend so much time on it. Still working on thumbs and such.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5601/headidea1fg5.jpg

I am liking this atm so I will see what I can do with it. I will put together some thumbs for the body and get a full concept done this year before I start the actual model.

[edit] this is purely a conceptual sculpt I'm not rushing ahead before I'm ready. If I go with the idea I will model a proper base mesh and redo the sculpt properly. This is just from a cube in mudbox hehe.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More on the head. Once I have this down I'll get started on the body.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3118/headidea1dq8.jpg

I'll use arsh's base and do a quick sculpt to get the shape I want then I'll photoshop the head and body together and get some color on it. Then the modeling fun begins smile.gif
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what theme or fire , ice whatever are you going for?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going for an earth theme for this guy. Earthquakes/ landslides etc. Warlord cast obviosly. Kinda going for an orc-like look on this guy but more origional. Don't have a lot of time available to me but I'll do my best to complete my entry on time.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thumbs smile.gif
    This is quite fun and not as hard as I thought.

thumbshc3.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nice thumbs, but there isn't enough variation here I think, they all look pretty much the same. Try some crazy shit, each thumb should be wildy different from the previous one.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will do. My first foray into thumbnailing so started off cautious.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cool stuff man, but I think you should push a bit further, how can you really make the silhouette jump out? I see a lot of spikes = evil! which is all well and good(evil), but I think you should see what other shapes you can make that look really malevolent

keep it up dood!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, here's a few more.

thumbsge4.jpg

Hopefully I can place this year laugh.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    It looks like you're drawing over the silhouette of a model? Break loose from that, for your thumbnails, and go wild with forms and poses.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you are right. Rendered a model silhouette and then photoshoped it. I'll try some free form thumbs too when I have more time.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the general body/ head design I am going for. I used a silhouette of this for my thumbnails.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9020/headidea1sc6.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man I hate 2d. Even with all the practice I have been doing I still suck...
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, tried to pencil an paper it. Please excuse the total abortion regarding proportion and anatomy I have absolutely 0 art training frown.gif

Was fun trying though.

conceptrm2.jpg

Thats sort of what I have had in mind since the brief. The idea is that he will have a hammer and a shield and the armorless left shoulder is so the sheild arm is unimpeeded. Please feel free to paint over or tear the shit out of it because this is an area I really need help with.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i think ur on the right track. i would definitely try to add more elements to pop his silhouette more. he's kinda normal in shape and nothing really stands out to me. as for proportion, if ur having trouble, you should get ur hands on a good anatomy book somewhere! life drawing is always good too if you ever get the chance!
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    I extrapolated on a couple of of the silhouettes stacked on top of each other . . . perhaps a bit further than I planned on, but here are some thoughts that came to me as I scribbed:

xalpaint.jpg

edit: If you can't tell cause it is all sloppy and small, the thing on his left arm is a blade of some sort that comes out of his inner wrist and is gripped between his pointer and middle finger. You mentioned going for more of a hammer weapon, but I figured I'd point it out nevertheless.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks naruSol I like the feet and leg armor a lot smile.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying out the ZB 3 trial. After seeing how many people say its better than mudbox I figured the trial is free so I may as well look into it. Its just so different to mudbox though :S

Messing with the head while I wait for 12am so we can feed the baby and get some sleep.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5060/headidea1ho8.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept update

conceptec1.jpg

I finaly found a theme I like for the armor.
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the head and the leg armor, but the shoulder armor looks a bit unconventional to me, sort of like it protects the shoulder but not the neck.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mate. I'm inclined to agree, the chest piece is just not working right. I'm exploring some other ideas for it now.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    your adding a lot of random stuff..

1. you should think of an interesting spot or design-element you want to use to catch the viewers eye (eg. you used the overlapping-armor-design, wich is ok as a secound or third design-element, but its too boring for the main-element)

than you should develop this over the full body (while mixing it with other elements eg. the overlapping stuff) AND keep always in mind how he can still move and fight within the armor

maybe this helps a bit.. smile.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks rollin it does smile.gif I have never actually made a proper concept before so this is all new to me and a lot harder to do than I thought..
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I see the PS bevel effect in here, that is not a good idea! smile.gif
    I think you should go back to your thumbs and imagine more stuff in it. Right now, the most of your concept is similiar shapes.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I am getting so aggitated. As soon as I start getting in a creative mood I have to go do something... Baby crying, cook, clean, shopping grrrrrr

Can't wait for he wife to recover so I can get back to actually having some free time mad.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, rant ftw. Right after I posted I had an idea....

I think I'm starting to get somewhere now smile.gif

concept2kt0.jpg

Polycount smiley on torso is just an idea and not well done at all. I am still working on that bit.

I'm leaving this here for now, I'll refine the armor design when I model it but for now I can't afford to waste any more time on it. I am already not sure if I will be able to finish this year frown.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imageshack seems to be down.... No matter. Here is what I have settled on. I now have a good idea how the armor is going to fit together and how he will move in it. This is a very basic concept of the armor but time is an issue.

Concept2.jpg

Moving on to making my base mesh for sculpting.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the head started, moving on to the body. Time to dig through my reffs folder...

construct1be3.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    If this is a base for sculpting you're going to have some problems with the ear. Also the neck and top of the head is too dense, you want more density in the face area to support your sculpting.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jaco,this will be the lowpoly when its done. I have the head sculpt started already from a cube in mudbox (previos page) I just imported it to max and built this around it so it will bake nicely when I'm ready for that. Origionaly I intended the sculpt as a concept aid but it evolved so nicely I decided to use it. Still a lot of detail work to do on it though. Only at subdiv 3 (100k polys) and can go up to 6 in ZB without my PC lagging so I will try to make it as detailed as possible. I have been practicing my sculpting a lot this year so I've really been looking forward to this smile.gif

More soon. Getting the body blocked out now. Now that I have to try get good poly flow and density on for sculpting.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit more. Havn't had much time but I have a little to pimp.

http://www.vampiresgaze.igniseus.com/Mod/construct1.jpg

Lots to do still.

[edit] more

construct2.jpg

I'm posting mesh WIPs just so I don't get accused of using a prefab base crazy.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the hands now. I really hate modeling hands crazy.gif

con3.jpg

about 90% of this will be deleted when I have the armor modeled but I figured I may as well make it properly.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, it took me longer to model the hands than it did to model the rest of the body blush.gif Methinks I need to practice hands more..

Still a bit messy on the hands but its mostly done now.

con4.jpg

As you can see I'm having issues figuring out the anatomy of the neck for this head design... Looks passable from front and back but profile looks way off. Quite frustrating.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I have my proportions to a point I like now but feel free to point out any errors, my eyes are probably lying to me by now :S

test1.jpg

I added the beginings of the highpoly head just to give a better idea of how he should look.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I don't want to be nasty, but your proportions are rather standard. You've got a nonhuman character, so there's all kinds of freedom you can have with him. It's a bit too creepy-features-on-a-human, rather than a creepy guy. He's got some scary claws, but his arms are human and as such aren't built to slash people. I'd say it's worth the effort to play around with proportions that might better fit his fighting style and background.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ComradeJ, I'll explore some other shapes and see what I can come up with smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I wanted to echo what ComradeJ had to say from another angle;

Is this not the same thing you always make? From your practice thread to the overdose characters, it's always the same character. Sure one had tech armor and was bald and the other had a nice shirt and slacks, but both, just like this are the same bald, fairly thick dude base mesh.

Get outside of your comfort mesh, and make something we've never seen you make before.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks mate it feels really good to see that people know my work smile.gif I'll give it a go. I figured I would play to my strengths but you guys are right, this war is not about playing to strengths unless you know you can win. So, back to the drawing board. At least I have a new male base mesh to play with later laugh.gif

Thanks for the comments guys, I needed that to come out of my comfort zone and push my limitations. I already have some ideas floating arround.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been messing with the mesh. I wanted to go with a more werewolf style on this guy but decided it would be too hard and went with what I have above but I think I will go back to that idea now. Here is what I have so far, just messing out the form of the legs, once they look right proportionaly I will model them cleanly and add nice menacing paws with big sharp claws smile.gif

I'm also rethinking my armor design cuz it just won't work with these proportions. I think I will go with a more tribal look on the armor. The guy will have a mane and maybe some fur on the legs but other than that it will be skin. Think evolved werewolf (like prehistoric man evolved into us). I am excited about this character for the first time since I started.

test2.jpg

I would really appreciate some help on the proportions, I have looked at werewolf pictures till my head hurt but every artist has a different take on them.

Hope this is more like what you guys wanna see from me smile.gif
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    nice xaltar! i like that ur trying new stuff and challenging urself. the model is lookin great...i think you could almost broaden his shoulders and make his upper body and arms bigger and make him more intimdating!

this is just a quick sketchover...u would have to tweak the rest of the body a little to match but a big upper body, smaller lower body would be sweet!

tweaksi2.jpg

cant wait to see more!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    thats getting better.. the most difficult part will come.. give him some unique armor.. and i wouldn´t stick to your concept atm..

you should search for some medieval bodyarmor pics as refernce and than design over your basemesh (draw smile.gif )

btw.. which input device you use to draw?
  • WickedFingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar I think Slosh is right, he needs to appear as if he's going to crush those machines into oblivion and rip their little eye balls out for breakfast! He is after all expected to obliterate worlds and destroy civilizations. Rarrr!.....? I don't know why I did that, my bad smile.gif

You already have the body modeled out which means your way ahead of schedule. I don't think it would hurt to broaden his structure a bit.