Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - NuclearWarrior - Uclysto The Corrupt

Replies

• NuclearWarrior
    Did some Thumbnails first - toying with Invokers and Warlords.
    Dominance3Silhos.jpg

Went with #12, started working on concept. His artifact/weapon is Lightning related.

LightningHammer.jpg
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I would have rather seen an elaboration on #4, but what you have there looks pretty bad ass.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    excellent sketch
  • NuclearWarrior
    Thanks guys.
    Neo-God - I dug #4 as a lightning Invoker, but I just didn't take the time to figure out details for him.
    Still working on the concept - here's an update.
    LightningHammer_2.jpg
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Wicked thumbnails, and cool sketch.
    And I think his warhammer/mace could serve to be several orders of magnitude larger tongue.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Those thumbnails are ace! Very inspiring.
    Your concept is coming together and I agree with Slipstream about making the weapon bigger. The end of the hammer is about the size of his fist, we can't have that :P

-caseyjones
  • NuclearWarrior
    Tried what you guys said and made the hammer slightly bigger.
    Also solidified the design of it a bit more. The idea is that this special kind of rock got struck by lightning and the rock somehow maintained the power of lightning. This guy found it, put a make-shift metal casing around it and turned it into a hammer. Been messing around with color too just to get an overall idea of the color scheme. I tried putting polycount green in there, but it really doesn't fit the lighnting theme.
    LightningHammer_3.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    nice! the color pass is dope.
  • Salvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit too WOW like i think.
    However, you have some really nice silhouettes. I personally think 9 or 5 are your strongest. 9 for a good strong warrior. 5 for a stealth character or creature like character.
    The design you have right now is strong, just not your best or most original.
  • NuclearWarrior
    Salvo - I agree, this is not the most original character. However, I am doing this more for my portfolio than for the contest. And, as of now, I don't have enough solid human characters. If it were purely for this contest I would do something more wild - but I could always do that later. I still want a few solid human characters under my belt.
    With that said, I tried adding these horn/spike type things to his shoulder pads. I rather like the shape they make. Anybody else have thoughts on them?
    Also did a quick sketch to feel out the face and made some armor surface design adjustments.

LightningHammer_5.jpg
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    i would love to see 9 smile.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey ho.. nice to see you again this year smile.gif

agree that this is not the most freaked out char but if you make a high-quality lowpoly out of it i think this one is going to rock

a part i personally don´t like are the kniepads-spikes.. to spiky.. smile.gif
  • los
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    los polycounter lvl 17
    looking good Yo. I second the upper part of the boot armor, try I could more looks there. I like the details you've put in the armor though.
  • Condefruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the 9th and 13th, particularly their big right gauntlet, remember me terminator in W40K.
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Looking really good mate.

Damn, I have to go for a different hammerdesign now. finders keepers smile.gif Intressting concept how the hip section connects with throughtguard.

Hes going to kick assess! smile.gif
  • NuclearWarrior
    Well, I couldn't get the thought of what Silhouette #9 would look like out of my head, so I sketched him up. I changed the proportions a bit to make his evil arm look more sickly and lanky. The idea is that the sword is the "darkness/void" artifact and is corrupting his body. I'm still not sure if I wanna do this guy as the Lightning Hammer dude is well far along.

EvilArm.jpg
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    New one looks great, except it looks a lot like mine with the artifact :S oh noes

You got some nice work in here smile.gif
  • hikagesan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hikagesan polycounter lvl 18
    i like the new concept a lot, could go a couple ways with the artifact either darkness/corrupted flesh or earth/roots/treant type thing. think the new one is a lot more original/unique looking, but either way i'll be looking forward to more.
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Diggin the new concept. I would maybe have some smooth forms mixed into the arm to break things up a bit. Maybe like some smooth armor shapes on the shoulder and forearm melding with the corrupted arm. I like it tho and it should make for some awsome normals.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    dude, u blew it! the new concept is sick. you gots to roll with it man...
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    I'm glad to see you explore different ideas than the previous one.. it looked good, very well drawn, but the concept seemed a tad too deja vu imho smile.gif
    the new one looks much more personal and interesting.. the story is even better but I didn't really get it by watching the drawing .. so I guess you can try to make it more clear in your next concept.. (right now I don't feel he is mutating because of the weapon..)
    I also dig the thumb N°4 smile.gif
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    The initial hammer guy looked eventually like the great-great-great-howevermanyGreats-Grandson of Rockstar's winning entry from Dom War I. This new one might be a better bet.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    more unique in any case, but still like the chest armor-stripes-design from the other one
  • NuclearWarrior
    Thanks for all of your comments! If I didn't have what you guys said eating away at my brain, I wouldn't be pushing myself this much.
    I tried to elaborate on this guy with this sketch:
    EvilArm_2.jpg

I was digging the corrupted arm better, but I wasn't happy with his overall shape. So, I drew a new silhouette real fast and started sketching over it:
    EvilArm_3.jpg

Now he kind of has the Lightning Hammer dude's build, but has this other stuff going on. Generally I'm pretty happy with how he's going, and definitely more psyched to model him. He's almost like modeling 2 different guys cause he has a Jekyll and Hyde type of deal. Well, I'm going to sleep, see y'all tomorrow.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't you mean Jeckyll and Hyde? Heckyll and Jekyll were a pair of cartoon crows that are nothing like this guy. :P
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    I say a big yes to the latest rendition. but that bare foot, hmmmm... i would either put a slim fitting boot on it or mutate it like the arm.
  • Oleg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    Looks amazing ! remind me of warcraft cool.gif
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    I prefer the latest version! Colored one is nice also but compared to this "Jekyll & Hide" version it's quite boring smile.gif
  • los
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    los polycounter lvl 17
    I really like the different direction, I can see that you were not afraid of the canvas, You took it, and you created, made it your own. The hyper masculine pose is powerful,legs spread wide with its strong base.. It says, "here I am!, Kill me, I'm right here". Good Job Friend.. Very well done.

A small suggestion though, I took the liberty, as an artist my self, to suggest something to you.

fliplfop.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah - a bunny slipper! With Greentooth's face!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    u gots to add the red slipper! man, dig the new silhouette even more! can't wait to see the color pass...
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    love the new version ... and i think it is official now -- you have to hide the slipper in your model somehow.
  • Massius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks fantastic, lovin the brutal as blade you've got him wielding now
  • CarbonPhoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment man,
    As for your model, I have a few issues with the large mutated leg being on the right side while the huge weight on his body is on the left side. It seems like he would have a hard time walking. especially if he were animated in the future. Could they both be mutated?
  • EvanG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanG polycounter lvl 17
    furgive englsh for doing concept creativity helps to see your idea second time laugh.gif
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    at the moment this is my favorite DWIII thread smile.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Sexy concepts there dude. I'll be watching this thread.
  • NuclearWarrior
    Thanks to all who commented/complimented!

Los - excellent work my friend, you've changed the way I think about concepting forever.

CarbonPhoenix - I was wondering about the animation too. I thought maybe he could have a cool limp? Conceptually, the idea is that the smaller, less armored leg is on the "infected" side of his body, and as a result, he's sort of almost neglected it. I suppose I could try and see what it looks like to switch the leg proportions. As far as weight distribution, he's actually not that lopsided, as the non-infected part has heavy armor to counter balance the heavy infected arm. I didn't want to make his leg completely mutated like the arm, rather just weakened. I kind of want to make it seem like...even though the infected arm has demonic/evil strength, his body is slowly getting destroyed by this artifact.

EvanG - Greatfully we are to thank with the rest of your talks!! LOL
  • NuclearWarrior
    Been working on the ortho's.
    Front.jpg
    Back.jpg
    Right.jpg

CarbonPhoenix - I tried switching the proportions of the legs and I actually do like it better visually, but I can't justify it conceptually. It would make sense if his infected leg was large and mutated, but I really dont want to do that. I'd rather keep the focus on the arm/artifact. Thanks again for pointing out that issue.

Los/Everybody - I put a potato sack type of material tied around his foot so it wasn't naked. Don't know if y'all like that, but I think it works. Again, that leg is supposed to be infected from the darkness/void, and thus kind of weakened and diseased.

Going to probably do a more detailed, specific ortho for the head/face. I still need to refine the infected arm and the artifact itself. Gotta figure out the colors too. Man, I feel like I should start modeling this weekend, but maybe it's better time spent if I nail the concept from all angles instead of just jumping in there.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    dude, i feel ya. i totally want to start modeling but i'm also afraid if i dont nail my concept, it will bite me in the ass later! awesome work though...this guy is going to rock!
  • Ro-Sham-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty sweet man it kind of has that nightmare from soul calibar look about it. keep up the good work i look forward to some updates
  • NuclearWarrior
    Tried to flesh out what's going on with the surface of the infected arm and sword. Changed the shape of the sword. Also worked on his face/head. I somewhat gave him the head of the lightning hammer dude, with some changes.

EvilArmDetail.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    realy nice sketch!
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Sweet. The the face corruption looks abit boring right now. Cant you give it make his mouth go from human birdbeak and maby give him a big/small/misshaped eye/eyes, or just nothing at all on his right eye area. So that it looks as chaotic as his arm. Or just Make the right side of his face into a big freakin mouth.

just a thought smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    that arm and sword is really cool smile.gif
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    So much going on on that sword... awesome. This is going to rock hard when its finished.
  • dr_wagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a great series of concepts. Excellent seeing how this one evolves. And ditto everyone else - arms melting into sword has great details that will pop in the sculpt - I can imagine all sorts of weird animation happening with that decomposed demonic arm.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    really cool sketch, love the arm. but i kinda think that the human face doesn't fit that good to his distorted body.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    really cool sketch, love the arm. but i kinda think that the human face doesn't fit that good to his distorted body.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I like the sympathy in his face though it I have to agree a bit. How about if he had about half the face distorted as well?
  • stalsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That concept is pretty sick, maybe make half of his face evil and the other half something else.