Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lizard <3

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
ohgoodness.jpg

So we have been given a week of work time for "personal skill development." Aka, im going to work on a personal project character and do some nice high res work. I'm gonna finish beating out this lizard model I had done in mudbox during the beta but had it corrupted on save. I managed to salvage it by bringing it into zbrush 3 and reprojecting onto a new low poly model.. weee! It's a lotttt further than the last time i showed it in mudbox though it is missing his teeth and the shell/mouth was not salvaged at all. I'll try and post at least one update a day on this guy.

Replies

• BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good. Can't wait to see what you do with him.

- BoBo
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohgoodness2.jpg

Thanks bobobo.

day 2. sorta. I'm leaving early and was late to start this chump today. Appareennntttlyyy we are getting a huge storm.

I figured now would be a good time to rough in the clothing etc before doing a solid pass on busted anatomy etc.
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    looking nice but i think legs are too short.
    I especialy like his face though smile.gif
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Assuming his normal posture would be a hunched back, I think the short legs are fine.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    love everything but the feet i geuss their not finished?
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks fuxer. I'm happy with the general proportions(apart from the hands, they are probably getting larger tomorrow) at the moment. I'll look at the legs again once I temp pose it to see what I have, but it looks ok at the moment to me

Zeph: word.

Shepeiro: yeah, feet are mostly untouched. Some of the stuff totally blew up when i tried projecting all in zbrush from a mudbox file. I've not decided at all what I'm doing with them--probably much more like talons than the webbed thing thats going on right now. That's on my list of things to sort out tomorrow if i end up at work.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    phew i was worried wink.gif
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohgoodness3.jpg

Hopefully this is a better setup. Didn't get as much done today as I'd have liked to. Mostly just little things.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I like these feet much better wink.gif

any chance of seeing it without the fancy shader?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Heh I like the old feet better ... shrugs.

Yeah lets see it without the shader and some back shots!

- BoBo
  • The_Phantom_Tophat
    It looks great.

I gotta agree with Bobo though I like the old feet beter. Mainly because the old feet were webbed and seemed to tie in with the hands more.
  • chip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chip polycounter lvl 18
    One thing I notice about some of your muscle/scale/skin features -- they look more incised than sculpted. The basic contours of the underlying forms are still very evident, which is good to a point, but some of the muscle masses look more like fairly shallow grooves smoothed over than full-volume masses. Same for the head, where the wealth of detail is interesting but the general profile/silhouette is not, it's rather plain and might benefit from some more robust modeling to break up the contours.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I do like how what looked like metal plates on the back was turned into a turtle shell. But yeah... maybe the feet could be halfway between the current and the way the hands are?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It looks great.

I gotta agree with Bobo though I like the old feet beter. Mainly because the old feet were webbed and seemed to tie in with the hands more.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny, because i suggested he make the old feet into what he has now specifically because they didn't match the hands, being far too dainty and elongated. crazy.gif
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feets6.jpg

I had actually cleaned up the sculpt a lot more since I rendered these normals down... so the mesh doesnt match right etc. thought I'd post a shot since I had forgotten to.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool. I still think a lot of the muscle shapes are overly "outlined" and don't really look like a cohesive surface with muscles underneath, looks more like a lot of separate pieces of clay shoved together. If you know what I mean. I reckon just softening some transitions between muscles would help a lot for that.

Colours are looking a bit garish there and he looks like he's made of plastic - was he meant to be looking like an 80's action figure? smile.gif

I assume the textures are still very WIP. I'd probably desaturate them and drop the spec a lot.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feetsy8.jpg

I'll do a pass at transitioning the forms on the muscles a bit better tomorrow. I see what you are saying and agree with most of it on the outlining. Should be pretty easy to fix up. We willl seeee!

He wasnt meant to look garish, but all the color is still up in the air i guess! I did desaturate it a bit and the spec got a small amount of love--still wip though.

Anyway, did a quick biped setup and did some weights so i can have him posed up whil i workyworky. I forgot how much I hate biped. It's been a while.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feetsy9.jpg

Theres a big storm here today once again, so im leaving work now. Figured I'd do a render since I wouldnt get a chance to do any real work on him.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I think his texture could use an 'interest' pass. You've got the forms down and the colors, but it's all very plain to the eyes. Perhaps some striations or faint speckling, mud splattered onto his feet, sun bleached back of the neck, etc. most notable area to need some lovin is his turtle-shell.

his leather is all the same as well... exactly the same values of brown everywhere. personally, i'd desaturate that brown and make it darker. but it could definitely use some dirts, some stains, some fading and some wears and tears. especially that loin cloth.

it's getting there!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i can't see the normalmap at all, everything looks flat..

sectaurs is right, working on your contrast, as well as a good specular map will help a lot too.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i really like the proportions of this model, but the highpoly is really weird, like ou tried a weird mix between cartoony and somewhat realistic, right now it isnt working much id say work a tad more in the highpoly.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    what gir said, I think your texture and lighting is killing the normal map, try let it do more shading
  • Paul_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The face could do with a slight tweaking here and there.
    Here's a quick paintover.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sectaurs: I still havent worked on the leathers, but the skin is getting to a point i like it. I plan on doing further patterning and color tweakiness, but i like my overall values now.

The red bits are going to be guts/mucusy stuff. I just placeholdered them--dont get too excited about the bacon look. haha.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feetsy11.jpg

Updated. little more work, no more render.

sectaurs: I still havent worked on the leathers, but the skin is getting to a point i like it. I plan on doing further patterning and color tweakiness, but i like my overall values now.

The red bits are going to be guts/mucusy stuff. I just placeholdered them--dont get too excited about the bacon look. haha.
  • Ro-Sham-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol im not trying to make fun so much but i couldnt help but think the first time i looked at your last render it looks like he's eating fruit by the foot. smile.gif Maybe you can get them to make a commerical with him hhaha, model really good though keep up the good work !!!
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feetsy12.jpg

fruit by the FUN more like. Or something.

Worked on patterning more, and generally tweakies.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    huge improvement! coming along nicely, man
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feetsy13.jpg

I finished that kitten and took a bit of time this morning to take some lessoons learned on kitten and bring them ovver to this. Still some tweakies to do before i update them in my folio though.

Fishyface is coming up next. oh dear. That's gonna be a lot of work.=O