Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Bugger, now I need to go find a DS... tongue.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Alright this is what I have so far.

1. First thing I did was to try out an obj that works well in 3D exploration, and loaded it in V3. I got the same result as before, a black silhouette.

2. Then I textedited the obj to have all the tags just like yours, and tried again, same result. However if I load your sphere or ball, *then* load the model I am using as a test I could see the demoman texture applied to it. (can't remember if the same happened with 1)

3. So I tried naming the material and .mtl the same way that you did (Material1) and removed your files to avoid conflicts. Got the same result with or without potential conflict, and with your file present the ball and the cube turned black.

4. Finally I used the bug/feature of the ball texture being applied to my testmodel. I renamed my texture with the demoman bmp name, and it somehow worked!
    However it seems like there is an issue with UVmapping, and maybe also with silhouette. Below is the same mesh and texture, left is DS and right is Max. Model by Bobo and texture by yours truly.

dsviewerfeedback.png

Hope this helps and good luck!

[edit]By the way! Later down the road it would be great to have a screenshot function saving a .png to the card! Good for debugging but also great for lowpoly pimpage!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Still no luck on my end,
    I DLed the latest version, and the good files. I have been playing with manually editing the obj & mtl files, and haven't had any "succes" in getting any textures to show up. I'll keep at it.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, thanks for your post tumerboy, I am now at the same stage as you textures are black but models show.

Happens to me even when running the "good models" zip. I'm running an ezflash v

Going to great when its finished I'm sure smile.gif

EDIT :-

Textures of the "good files" load on mine if I put the files in the root of the memory card. Textures load on my model if I change the mtl to Material 1 in both the mtl file and the obj line call. I got the same problem as prior with wierd uvw mapping.
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So textures are still borked if not in the root of the card, and/or the material name is different. I'll see if I can take a look at that today. I'd noticed some oddness with the UVs as well on the TF2 team tests, but haven't looked into that. I'll probably do camera controls first, as that would help debug the UV issues. A screenshot feature is certainly something that's possible.

For more testing purposes, could someone email me their files please? That would probably help find what's going on with the textures.

Thank you all for the testing, I know it's not easy when you're working on the card and removing and inserting it all the time.
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Viewer v4

This fixes textures not working outside the root of the card
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    hmm, strange... googlecode gives me a 403 when i try and download the viewer, no matter how i try and access it (direct link from here, link from the viewer's googlecode page, entering the url in the address bar). Any ideas?
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    hmm, strange... googlecode gives me a 403 when i try and download the viewer, no matter how i try and access it (direct link from here, link from the viewer's googlecode page, entering the url in the address bar). Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, afraid not. It works fine for me. Is anyone else having issues?
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From wikipedia:
    [ QUOTE ]
    a response to the heavy use of Google by search engine optimization companies to check on ranks of sites they were optimizing. The message may also be triggered by high volumes of different searches from a single IP address. The block is removed after a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just brilliant, considering that, as far as i'm aware, all outgoing traffic from singapore (or at least each isp) shares an external ip address... -_- Oh well, I'll have to wait a bit then...
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a shame. I'm open to other free hosting sites if you know any good ones. I'm not really using the code hosting from google, just for hosting the files.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotekk send me an msn and I can send you the file smile.gif

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I guess I should have mentioned earlier that I was working within a "models" folder. Sorry for that.

At this point, I DLed v4, and have now replicated Pior's results inside my folder. I made my model, and both your cube and ball models all point to the same MTL file (cube.mtl) and the textures work (UVs are definitely hosed, but the texture shows). I can have the mtl file point to any texture I want, and it still works. However, if I copy the contents of your cube.mtl file, save it as a new "Test.mtl" file, and then have the models referrence that, the textures don't show.

My Test.mtl is 84 bytes. Your Cube.mtl file is 90 bytes. They are identical internally, as far as I can tell. But one works, and the other doesn't. It would appear that those extra 4 bytes (where ever they are) make a difference?

I'll email you the files, and you can take a look.

One additional note. When I would get the texture to load, I would click between Ball, Cube, and Test. This would work for the first 4 or 5 times, and then the texture would unload and I'd only get sillhouettes after that.
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the files Tumerboy. After taking a look at your mtl file, it seems the line endings are different. I'm using Silo to export my .obj files, and I guess it puts different line endings. Why my loader wouldn't support yours I'm not sure. I'll see if I can take a look at it today, but it'll likely be tomorrow.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no worries, just sharing.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3d max puts lots of comments(#) in the obj file formats. Might cause the program some problems?

I found that when making the mtl files you have to have a line break / hit enter after the .bmp location otherwise it won't load the texture on my memory stick.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Showster, thanks for the offer. I've added you on MSN. smile.gif
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Viewer v5

The issue was indeed due to the different line endings. That's now fixed. However, it doesn't seem to load any textures past the first one. So whatever model you view first, that's the texture that shows on all the models. Fixing that is for tomorrow or the weekend though. Happy viewing!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YAY! I'M HELPFUL!

Thanks dude!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    google seems to have cleared the block on the site, so i've managed to get v5. I was having a lot of trouble getting the files to load (some loaded as black silhouettes, others didn't load at all, while occasionally i'd get a lockup). Then I noticed you mentioned you were using Silo. That ended up being my quick fix.

UVs are definitely borked, but definitely a cool start.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, tried ver 5
    Got it working with my model exported from max. Only thing I have to do is add the "map_Kd Test.bmp" line to my mtl (for some reason max doesn't give the material any texture to call)

Anyway, I can get my Test model to load up, showing my texture, I can then switch to your cube or ball, and see it with your texture.

I still have the problem where, I can load different models, with different textures 4 or 5 times, and then it stops loading textures and all the models I load are just black.

Also, UVs are messed up on my model, as well as your cube & ball (assuming they were mapped to begin with?)

Good progress, keep it up :P
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borked UVs is on the list to fix. The ball and cube have UVs, but not any sane ones laugh.gif, so they will look like rubbish. If anyone has any models that don't load the textures if it's the first model loaded, could they please send it my way? I know there's issues with switching models after a couple of them, but the initial model should be fine. Lockups are possibly due to not having triangulated the mesh.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Lockups are possibly due to not having triangulated the mesh.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Whoops, I think you might be right. I forgot I'd seen that in one of your earlier writeups.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanna say that this sort of thing makes me really, really want a DS.
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Viewer v6

A new version is up. There should no longer be invisible textures. However, currently only 128x128 textures work. I've also fixed that UV issue. Variable textures will be in the next version.

Has anyone tried a multi-part model with this? I've only been testing with single mesh models.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope, I'll try some stuff out today and let you know!
    Thanks
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried it, and there seem to be issues with the textures, though different from v5. A model that worked in v5 (aside from the offset UV coords) now seems to load some kind of black and white texture. I've got stripes all over parts of the model, instead of the texture (24-bit bmp, 128x128). Loading the previously-provided cube and ball models also resulted in stripey textures, though the proper texture was loaded (as hinted at by the colors). Sorry for the blurry pic, my cellphone camera refuses to focus that close.

Photo_031708_001.jpg

As an aside, I loaded a multi-mesh model without a hitch (aside from the aforementioned texture issue).

ps. I'm still experiencing issues getting files from googlecode. On the off chance anyone else also ends up having trouble downloading, I could mirror the files for you if you'd like.
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And a quick look later it looks like it's actually hardcoded to 64x64 at the moment. Sorry. I'll be adding the different texture sizes tonight, so it should be good in the next version (tonight).
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scrunched a 128^2 down to 64^2, and it worked a charm. laugh.gif

(again, sorry for the shitty photo)
    ds3d-1.jpg

any chance of double-siding the polies? i had to manually flip the finger normals so they'd show up on that view.

Oh, when you start getting the camera controls in, how bout an option to rotate 90 degrees on load, for models that are taller than they are wide. That way you could just flip the ds on its side to view the model properly.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Great progress!!! I got it working as well! In my case I had to edit the .mtl file manually as well, because the directory of the texture was wrong resulting in a black model. For future versions it could be handy feature to load textures trough the app. Keep up the good work!
    DS_test.JPG

Edit: two materials and two 'groups' seem to work fine as well!!!
    DS_test2.jpg
    His lower and upper body consist of 2 different 64x64 maps as you can see here:
    model-slig.gif
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, can't find my camera, but I did get it working. Texture shows up right, UVs are right, etc. Nicely done labyrinth!
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the pictures. Good to see people are having fun with it.

Here's version 7 with the texturing updated to support all square textures (8x8 - 512x512 (not sure if there's enough memory for the highest)). Non-square textures should be possible on the DS, but I've not cracked that nut yet.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I should bump this up to inform you I'm still having problems with this. Tested on v6 and v7. I've used several models, with different settings, exported from more than one program. All the same results.

dsviewer_error.gif

Simple cube with cubic UV mapping. Simple 64x64 256-color 8-bit bitmap.
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX: that should be an easy fix, make the texture full color (ie 24-bit). I don't support 8-bit textures yet.

While we're on this topic, what is the most important feature you guys want to see next?
    -camera controls
    -256 and 16 color textures
    -portrait mode
    -animating models
    -option for setting backface culling
    -capturing images

I was planning on doing camera controls first, but if something else seems more important to you guys I'll do that first.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Along with the camera controls: a way to control the FOV.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Camera Controls are by far the next most important thing.

Great work so far Labyrinth, keep it up.

Edit: Oh one more thing that you might be able to fix/look at. On the selection screen, I can press down to go down the list, but pressing up from the top makes my cursor disappear. However, if I press up twice, and then hit down once, my cursor appears at the bottom of the list. Seams trivial, but it would be handy to have the cursor cycle through the list in both directions.

Thanks again.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    camera controls. at least something like using L and R to rotate.

[ QUOTE ]
    that should be an easy fix, make the texture full color (ie 24-bit). I don't support 8-bit textures yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

doh! poly135.gif

Force of habit. I've always used 8-bit bmps for the DS homebrew games I've created art for. I'm sure it will work fine now.

By the way, is there a polygon limit on this?
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's no polygon limit on my end, so that basically leaves you with the hardware limitation of 2048 triangles after culling and clipping.

That bug about the browser is odd. I'll take a look at that for the next version also.

Edit: Although I do use a specific amount of memory to create the model, I think that memory is enough for a model that uses all those triangles. I can make the memory bigger if needed, I'm not even close to running out at the moment.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The menu bug that Tumerboy mentioned has been in since the first version i tried, though i keep forgetting to bring it up.

I'll second (third? fourth?) camera controls as a priority. Followed by:
    backface culling option
    portrait mode

Awesome job so far, though laugh.gif
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya LoTeckk same here, It's been around forever but I keep forgetting to mention it, because Labyrinth is constantly distracting me with new shiny versions!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Any chance getting vertex color supports? ^_^

Put the head of one of our characters in @1268 tris and 2x 128x128's. Worked like a charm. M3 Real
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm definately willing to add support for vertex colors, but I'm unsure on how to get those into the app. OBJ files don't support vertex coloring do they? If there's some other file format that has clear documentation on how the format works, then I'm willing to add support for it.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vrml takes vertex colors.
  • Tennis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tennis polycounter lvl 16
    this is awesome! laugh.gif
    ds.jpg
    looking forward to camera control smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes! i've been waiting for Tennis to post some of his work using this. :P

I've finally got it working properly as well. Cool stuff. Let's see those camera controls plz!

bobodemonDS.jpg
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the images. Glad to see people are using this. For some reason GoogleHosting isn't allowing me to upload new version so we'll try something else.
    Viewer v8: Camera controls are in. Just use the touchscreen. I don't entirely like the algorithms used, but at least it's something. The filelisting bug should also be fixed.

ElysiumGX: is the VRML format ok for you?
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried v8, and camera controls seem to work nicely. I say "seem to" because the models all load zoomed waaay out (every model loaded, including the ball and cube models you provided a little while back, are only a couple pixels in size onscreen).

I can mirror the files for you, if you're having trouble with googlecode hosting.

Viewer v8
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya, all of mine were zoomed way out too, but it was easy to tell with my plane that the camera controls were working properly.
    I'd say add zoom controls to the right & left triggers, and call it good.

Nicely done!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use http://www.desmume.com/ as an emulator for the games I've worked on, but it doesn't work with this viewer it seems. No big deal.

I'm ok with VRML files, as long as OBJ support remains.

I just realized, with v7, if you have two models, selecting a model works fine, but then if you select a second, it shows with the texture of the first. Sorry if that's been mentioned already.

New camera controls work great, now just get the zoom correct.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX:
    if i'm not mistaken, that only happens if the models have the same material names assigned (eg, Default_Mat). If you have unique material names this shouldn't happen.

Labyrinth:
    based on the above, i guess the program isn't unloading material refs when it loads a new model?