Modeling a cloth wrap?

Uly
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Uly polycounter lvl 15
I have a problem.
clothstripsproblem.jpg
060404owiefoot.jpg
Working on something that involves a cloth wrap going around a pole, and I can't think of an time efficient manner in which to wrap a piece of cloth around the pole, while maintaining a slightly random pattern so it looks like it was done by a person, continuity in the wrap so it looks like it's been done with a single bandage, and with overlapping, more spontaneous angles to break up what would be an otherwise pretty linear pattern.

This is for a hipoly thing in particular, so messy geo doesn't matter as much if it comes out looking nice. Using Max, but if you have a suggestion from another program's tools, I can likely find the equivalent for Macks.

Thanks dudes, if you can solve this, I'll be very appreciate. : )

PS: Sry if the banged up foot is gross. Who paints the toenails on their garbled feet, anyway?

Edit: Changed title of post to be more 'indicative'.

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    In max i would create a poly and extrude around the object with the shell modifier turned on. Should come out random if you do it manually, but eh that's just my way.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Unless there's a specific reason you need to follow the cloth from one end to another, you can totally fake this by building a couple loops around, and just cloning and tweaking.

maceclothmq5.jpg

I made that for a weapon a long time ago. Thats probably 10 minutes of work. With some more effort, you can make it look more continuous.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny you ask this I just recently ran into the same problem. I've come up with a pretty decent solution that is actually quite fast (it only took me about 5-10 minutes for the cloth in the tutorial). It makes use of some tools that might only be available with Modo, but I think the basic idea of it can be applied in just about any 3d app. Slum's solution is definitely still a lot better in situations where the "wrapping" effect wouldn't be noticed.

Anyways, here's the tutorial:

wraptut.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I often just do it kinda like AdamLewis, but instead of starting out by drawing quads I'll just create one long subdivided strip, and then use a Twist and some other modifiers to wrap it around whatever object I need.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks mans, some good workflow in here. : )
    I'm gonna try them out after work. Oh, and MoP, besides the twist, what modifiers do you find yourself using in a regular basis for this kinda junk?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Bend, Twist, Taper, FFD, Path Deform, Shell. Not much else besides Symmetry and Turbosmooth.