Home General Discussion

939 vrs am2

So i've got an Asus k8n deluxe board, i was wondering what the fastest x2 cpu i can put in it is, 4200+? Is everything faster than that am2? And is there any way i can flash bios to support am2 procs?

Replies

• sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I want to say the 4800+ was the fastest for 939. AM2 is a completely different socket. It also uses DDR2 memory instead of DDR.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    only the new phenom cpus are backwards compatible with the am2 socket as far as i know ..
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    From Wikipedia:

"AM2 processors are incompatible with 939 motherboards and vice versa, and although it has 940 pins, it is incompatible with Socket 940[1]. DDR2 can transfer more data per clock cycle, but suffers from higher latencies, while drawing less power than DDR memory, which the previous Socket 939 supported."

So, basically, it looks like the pins match, but there were still some hardware differences in relation to the memory
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok great thanks guys. It seems the 939 cpus from 4400-4800 are still retardly expensive, while you can get an am2 4800+ for around $120 or so. Almost seems like it would be less money to just suck it up and get an am2 board, but if i'm getting a new board AND a new cpu i might as well get one of those new fangled intel things.... Oh well, looks like the only reasonable thing is 4200+, which i think would still be a decent upgrade over my single core 3200+.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Why don't you get an Intel dual or quad core? 939 is well out of date now...
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Earthquake they won't be lowering those anymore than what they cost. I was looking into upgrading the amd xp processor on my board cause I don't have the 800 bucks to build a new rig so I figured okay 100 on a new processor can't be that bad. To get a 3.0 I have to spend over 200 dollars. Yeah. Talk about BS. It's all about supply and demand.

Damn talk about a rip off. You might be able to sell your processor... I think it might be worth your while to look into it. Damn the hardware for 939 cost are freaking high.

Alex
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a 3200+, 2 gigs of ram and a 6600GT, i wanted to upgrade this to atleast what my work machine was for around $300 or less, and i also need a new harddrive too. So 8600GT = $100, 4200+ = 90-10 and new hd is less than $100.... Now if i upgrade to an intel cpu i need to get new ram, a new mobo and new cpu, along with video card and harddrive, which will probablly cost me twice what i wantedt to spend.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    i've just recently built an amd system because a lot of my budget was spent on dual lcd and a new tablet...

still, the am2 cpus are dirt cheap right now .. i paid about $115 cnd for my x2 5000 and much less than 100 for my mobo ..

while the x2's are inferior to intel core 2 duos they are still very solid cpu's especially for the price..

if you arent looking to make your pc futureproof. Amd could be a solution on a budget..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Fair enough if you want something now without spending much money, but that doesn't sound very future-proof to me. I think it's probably better in the long run to front an extra few hundred bucks and get a nice quad core system.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I got my 5600+ and a new mobo for about 130 or 140 at Frys. Mobo is shit though.