Home Technical Talk

Suggest tutes for learning Maya tools

Hey guys, I've recently found myself in a position of needing to pick-up some 'mad Maya skillz'. What I'd like to do is find some learning material that will teach me the tools used to create a character from scratch in Maya: modeling> unwrapping> texturing (well, applying/tweaking materials anyway)> rigging/skinning.

So I've spent some time playing around in Maya, as well as searching the net for some decent tutes. So far the best looking possible resource I've found is this Maya translation of the famous Joan of Arc character tute. From what it shows on that page it seems like a great all round character creation tute (if anyone's bought this tute, I'd love to know what you thought of it).

So that's it, if you know of any good learning material that would help me learn Maya's tools in the areas I mentioned, I'd really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks guys.

[EDIT: Thanks Eric, much obliged sir. grin.gif Thread modified to focus more on tutes about learning Maya tools from scratch rather than Max> Maya conversion.]

Replies