Home Technical Talk

Grid snapping in max!

easterislandnick
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
Hi, I'm trying to make some tiling floor sections for unreal 3 in Max and was wondering if its possible to snap a vertex to the grid that isn't already aligned to the grid. Currently when I use the snap grid on an unaligned vert it moves one grid unit but does not align to the grid. Any help would be great.

Replies

• Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bring up your Axis Constraints toolbar and make sure the last button on the right (constraints with snaps) is not active.
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    under grid and snap settings

check on vertex and grid under snaps(I found you have to specify what is snapping together...then it works as you would expect)

under options
    check on: use axis center as start snap point
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks works a treat!
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    beware though- max's idea of snapping to grid is to sometimes do it so whatever you're snapping is 0.01 off or something ridiculous like that. infuriating as you then have to type in the co-ords manually, which sometimes doesn't work because max decides that it likes the mad decimalisation of the co-ords...

ooops that turned in to a rant lol
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm currently writing a script that will snap selected verts to an arbitrary grid or your current grid, so even if the max snaps to 0.001, it will "fix" it to 0.000 ... I'm mainly doing it for snapping to grids like the Radiant editors, just for making sure blockout meshes and collision meshes / bounding boxes all line up perfectly and can be easily snapped around in a map editor.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds cool MoP!

Is it going to work like the grid helper objects in max but not as clumsy or bugged to use? It would be a nice feature to have if it was a true 3D grid. As it is, having to fake it with grid helper objects sucks, and it doesn't help that only one grid helper can be enabled at a time, who thinks up this crap and doesn't bother to try using it? Anyway good to hear you're working on something MoP, I hope you'll share it!