Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rts Game WIP; IMAGE HEAVY

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Cody polycounter lvl 15
[Edit] Matt22181 has posted some of the characters for the game below.

So, I'm working on a four person team creating a rts game for Microsoft's 2008 Imagine Cup. I am in charge of all environments, building and props. Matt22181 is doing characters and animations. Maybe I'll get him to post some of that soon.

Short Game Summary: Small planet, two factions. One is new, and wants to use all renewable energy to preserve this planet, unlike the last one, which they jacked up. The older faction crashed landed here generations ago after being lost in space, so they are crazy and don't give a hoot. The name of the game for now is Terranet. By the way, the theme of the game had to fall into Microsoft's sustainable environment theme.

So here is some of what I've created so far.

New Faction Base, about 1000 tris
bio.gif
bioflat.gif

Old Faction Base, about 3000 tris combined (texture WIP)
bo.gif

Wire:
bowire.gif
boflat.gif

WIP Land
land.gif
land2.gif

New Faction Research Facility about 850 tris: WIP
research.gif
rflat.gif

C&C greatly appreciated smile.gif

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    New Faction Base: its cylindrical shapes of the building itself and the smaller windows control the look. Thus, the angular windows do not work at all. I'd rethink the whole style here, as it looks like a primitive shape slightly modified. With any of your buildings, they must possess a unique profile at the farthest distance for instead recognition, as well as a unique color scheme for factions. Additionally, it has many wasted edges. If it does not enhance the silhouette it shouldn't be there.

Old Faction Base: I like this one. It appears to follow all the rules tossed out by the first. It looks unique, interested, and isn't AS wasteful, but still has a lot of room for improvement. For example, all spikes, rods, etc. have no business being over 3 or 4 sides (depending on purpose). You may consider exaggerating the saturations to push the faction color scheme in a more unique direction, but overall it looks cool.

New Faction Research Facility: This is more on target with how the new faction should come across, but still appear to toss a few extra triangles around it doesn't need

All of your textures seem overly simple at this point, as I have a feeling you're just trying to nail the look so I won't really criticize what you're doing there.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the advise cholden.
    I suppose i could cut down the polycount on the new faction base, even though it is going to be one of the biggest structures, and the angular windows are supposed to be solar panels, I guess that is hard to read.

All the spikes and rods on the old faction base are either 3 or 4 sided, except the spike on the dome itself, which are alpha planed polys.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Character Wip wip wips.

Old Faction Conscript
    RebelConscript.jpg
    RebelConscriptDiffuse.jpg
    Old Faction Heavy
    rebelHeavy.jpg
    RebelHeavyDiffuse.jpg
    RebelWorker.jpg
    RebelWorkerDiffuse.jpg
    New Faction Heavy
    TerraHeavy.jpg
    TerraHeavyDiffuse.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Loving the texture work man. I'm a big fan of the RTS genre. Keep it up.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really sweet stuff, Matt, loving the textures laugh.gif

I see what you mean about the Alliance type dude now. Maybe try giving his armor some coloured markings to help break him up?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Watch out on your conscript, looks like it might be hard to animate the legs with that meshflow, also looks like he has two hearts on his butt. laugh.gif
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    New Faction Light
    TerraLight.jpg
    TerraLightDiffuse.jpg

Thanks guys.

James- Yes, you're definately right. I'm going to have go back to the heavy texture. Its just too boring as it is right now.

Dekard- All the models are already animated. I sort of just treated it as if his legs started at the top of his boots, with rest of his lower half being influenced gradually less and less as it approaches his belt.

I'll post the animations for you guys soon. I am really not an animator so I'd really appriciate lots of crits.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Ok updates to the game:
    Changed the color schemes of the buildings to match Matt22181's characters so the factions have a consistent color scheme.

GUI
    gui.jpg

Splash Screen
    splash.jpg

Texture Progress; Research Building

researchupgrade.jpg

Texture Progress; New faction Base

bioupgrade.jpg

Terrain Progress
    landpimp.jpg
    landpimp2.jpg
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    5 days left till we need to have a playable level. Oh Geez!!

New Faction Worker
    TerraWorker.jpg
    TerraWorkerDiffuse.jpg
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your character textures are great.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Yes you have a very cool style matt.
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Eclipse_ polycounter lvl 10
    yeah, very nice textures, cool style
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im no expert or anything but to me, the New Faction Base still looks like it has too many tris compared to the Faction Research Facility which is less tris and more detailed. could you put more details on the new faction base, or put something on it to make it look like the circle things are more apart or more attached to the main part of it.
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    So when do we get to play? smile.gif
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the terrain texture could be changed from the photo-ish look to more of a painted style similar to the characters so things look more cohesive. Great work so far.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the comments guys.

@ el zorr- Good call. I am definitely going to optimize it and add some more details to it.

@ Keen- soon, when we get a playable demo it will be available to polycounters smile.gif

@ Splash- good call. I'm going to experiment with some painted textures this weekend.
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet! I can't wait. This is a really neat project.
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    Looks promising, keep up the good work guys!
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Looking at your models it took me about 5 minutes to realize why the textures looked so bad on the models.

You need to work on utilizing smoothing groups better on your models. Everything looks smooth with no edges, and it throws everything off and makes the models look terrible.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Are you talking about buildings, characters or both?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    zeph is spot on, try experimenting with making different edges have hard shading, and I think the textures will start looking nicer without the blotchy shading

about the env textures, I think the scene looks too noisy- it looks good close but at the average playing distance it merges into a lot of speckles. Consider simplifying the textures and focusing more on mid and large scale details, and less small scale, pixel level details

its good work though keep it up!
  • Remus989
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really good guys. When are we getting the demo? I can't wait to try it out
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Synj polycounter lvl 18
    Your models have a great, styolized silhouette.

Also, a bit off topic, somebody should make a really low poly RTS for the PSP sort of like this. I would love that. xD
  • Burtzum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burtzum polycounter lvl 15
    hey cool, some fellow Richmond, VA peeps. Lookin good. Love the dude with what looks like a giant land mine on his back hah.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys. We got through round one! Free copies of Gears of War for everybody on the team smile.gif . No 360 frown.gif . I'll probably sell mine.

Keen-I'm taking a break for the dominance war, but the grammers are still chugging away. Shouldn't be too much longer, it needs to be all done this semester.

Burtzum- Why don't we know you? Did you go to VCU? I checked out your site, lots of good stuff up there.

Remus- That avatar is ace.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    hey fellas! It's good to see some fellow VCU people posting! I came through there about 4 years ago.

congrats on getting through round 1. is this all linked through the school somehow?
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    We did get a $5,000 grant from the school to compete, but its not really through the school. Its something we're doing in our free time. Hehe free time.
  • thatsmessedup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really love the textures
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I'm just gonna chirp on it here...

Now dont get me wrong what you have done in fantastic, but its fantastic for the wrong reasons. This is what I think anyway, so please, don't hate on me.

Your terrain, first of all, is quite bad. Now only is it very spikey, not natural at all, but its using a crazy ammount of polygons. This can be fixed quite easy by just hitting optimize in max, or using the Direct X mesh tools in Milkshape. To be honest you could get the polycount down by about 10x and keep the same shape.

But thats not my biggest problem. My biggest gripe is that these textures all seem very high res, for what it obviously an RTS. Now, its nice to have your models look great when your up close, but thats not the view people would use most, if at all. Its gonna be up high. And a 512x512 texture on a unit that takes up about 50 pixels on the screen is waaaay too much. In fact, it will look quite pixelated at an RTS style view distance. 128x256 is a max you should really be looking at here, and even that may be a tad excessive.

To be fair, your work is great, it just isn't great for RTS work. You have some good texturing skills that remind me of the old HL/Q2/Q3 days.

Keep it up :P
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Great stuff guys, the old faction base and the first character are badass!
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking pretty cool - I like most of the designs I'm seeing here; one thing that seems really distracting, though, is the textures on the terrain; they seem extremely 'busy' and, at least when unfiltered, are overwhelmingly grainy. It looks okay up close, but from your standard zenith RTS view, it becomes chaotic and confusing.

One thing I feel is important in RTS games is keeping your units readable in all situations - there's nothing more annoying than losing one of your own units when you're not even in battle, because he stopped on a piece of terrain that acts as camouflage. Characters, units, and buildings are what should drive the RTS - terrain, while important, should be a bit more subtle, letting the units take the limelight.

Lowering saturations is a good way to push things back, but your terrain texture is already fairly unsaturated, so I really think it's just that the texture seems too busy. Try to focus more on the RTS view of it - get the base colors down, and suggestive texture, rather than each blade of grass - right now they seem more like detail textures for when the camera gets close, instead of the base texture.

It sounds like you're on a tight schedule, but while the terrain may still be 'in progress', another thing to keep in mind is the positions of the textures relative to the geometry (i.e. it's a bit odd to see grass growing over a big spike). If you render out a depth map from a top view camera, you can use it as a mask for the areas that should be rocky in Photoshop, unless you're using vertex colors for texture assignment (but you might still may be able to use the map to assign the vertex colors themselves).

My two cents. I think it's coming along quite nicely, the issues are minor, and you guys have a direction - it just seems a bit loose at the moment. Again, you seem to have a tight schedule, so don't let this be discouraging; these were just points I felt could really help solidify the feel. Good luck!