Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Abhishek Chaudhry

Replies

• indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first time drawing female body [not even kidding. i dont think i've ever tried before... unless in jest]

figures02.jpg
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -deleted by me-

it was detrimental almost entirely...
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -deleted by me-
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    figures03.jpg

more quickies

im starting to get a hang of drawing off reference
    i need to try w/out ref soon

i feel a little dependant atm
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -also deleted by me-

detrimental to my growth as an artist
    just looking at it made me hate my skills [or lack thereof]
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    well, if your going to do a lighting study, you might want to start wit some simple stuff like still life arrangements of simple objects, and 1 light source.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that... is a very good point konstruct

lack of sleep, and over-zest is causing my brain to stop thinking x x

i'll do one based on 'an assortment of shapes' tonight before bed

for now:
    What__s_Missing__1_of_5__by_abhishek_arts.jpg
    WM_1___Beauty_shot_by_abhishek_arts.jpg
    this is for a class assignment

"What's missing..." from our portfolios

this was supposed to be more... steampunk, but my teacher and i discussed things and plans were changed around

i dont know if she'll like this piece, but i know i do.
    let me know what you guys think!

its meant to look like a bird [from the neck up] and when u strike the ball, it makes a 'shaker' type sound. hitting the 'beak' portion makes a lighter metallic sound, while turning the cogs on the 'neck' makes a metallic 'rrrr' sound.

stands at 20 cm tall

cheers!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    now thats really interesting ! got more of that stuff ?
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man!

i dont have more yet.
    i have the second of 5 pieces done, but i submitted that before i had a chance to take pics, and its less complex than the above.

ill post all 5 up as they get completed. i'm glad u liked it
    good confidence boost =D

lighting practice that i wanted to do yesterday, but couldnt
    wanted to be well rested for a maths test
    anyway!
    here it is:

lighting01.jpg
    two sets
    no copy/paste involved
    one is simple white light, black ambience, and the other is blue ambience

ill see if i can set up a still life shot to recreate. shouldnt be too hard. just need to
    find good contrasting material types, and shapes to really push myself

also!
    reuploading this:
    omugawd.jpg

got me a 10/10 from the art teacher, so something must be right =D
    its all done using a marker, and nothing else. used the 'saturation of ink on paper' to my advantage to create the shading

cheers guys
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k not bad, but why are you drawing white along the edges- to suggest a beveled edge?
    also your shadows are inconsistent. you need to determine if the lighting is soft or hard. when light hits an edge the rays spread and the shadow will become more blurred depending on light intensity, and distance. aka diffraction.

plan on cleaning up that blur a little bit?- presenting your work in a non careless fashion is a good habit to get into..

also stay away from smudge. The brush has its purpose, but using it fix things not one of them because its use can be spotted so easily , steer clear of blur for the same reasons.

seriously read this from top to bottom, it will change your life, I know it did mine
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea beveled edges was the idea. did i get that across?

and as for the blur:
    thing is, i use a 100% hard brush, with opacity set to 10%. pen pressure isnt affecting anything either. i dont use any other tool. not even the eraser, unless im gettin rid of the whole thing / object

lighting02.jpg
    thats my new attempt
    looks better to me. did it after lookin at a few images from the link u sent me

wil read through that some time tomorrow. didnt quite get the time to go thru in detail today
    thanks for the link!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang dude, that one is better, but not by much. are you actually setting up a still life? or just drawing from memory. either way I think my number one critique for you is to observe WAY more. If you had set up a still life with a block that had a beveled edges, you didn't even try to look at how those edges were lit. <

Again, my number one critique for you is I don't think you observe from life enough. Its good that you are doing figure studies and such, but you need to pay more attention to those studies otherwise you are wasting your time.

also clean that stuff up man! your work is real muddy. Its okay to be loose, but muddy not so much. mud can be defined as your details that matter not being clarified. one huge thing for a still life is the relation of your objects to the ground plane, and right now you have none. Its hard to clearly see where the cylinder stops and the ground begins-

keep at it, its clear you want to be doing this and its good your getting outside help besides art school teachers. They are awesome for what they are, but no one can teach all the theories in the right way. I`m sure there's a few things I`ve said that other artists might take issue with. Keep an open mind try things out, find what works for you- However you do need to explore established art conventions before you can understand how to deviate from it..
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mm...

thats good advice in my eyes.
    helps me look at my previous work with a new crit in my head

thanks for that!

i'll start doing some more still life tomrrow night onwards
    for tonight, i decided to do this:

Happy_Halloween____2008_by_abhishek_arts.jpg
    a "just for fun" piece. it's open to crits about lighting / brush technique / style etc etc

go right ahead and tell me whatever you think about it

happy Halloween to you all!
    cheers!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alrighty:
    still01.jpg
    this here is the dimmer switch in my room
    - plastic
    - light from top right corner of page [approx]

BnW standard brush.
    pen pressure affects opacity

no use of blur tool / smudge tool

what do you guys think?
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have two tests tomorrow, but i wanted to relieve some stress thru art:
    figures04.jpg
    it was a 20 minute job, so it wasnt my 'best try' but one of my first.

im up for comments on the basic 'shapes' involved etc.
    anything u feel i already have wrong / right, i'd like to know about it

thanks!
    cheers
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speed_003_by_abhishek_arts.jpg

a 20 minute line drawing done in photoshop

snows started here in TO
    so i just wanted that winter feel to it

lemme know wat u guys think
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What__s_Missing__2_of_5__by_abhishek_arts.jpg

this is for a class assignment

"What's missing..." from our portfolios

this was supposed to be more... steampunk, but my teacher and i discussed things and plans were changed around

i dont know if she'll like this piece, but i know i do.
    let me know what you guys think!

looks like a banyan tree leaf [hopefully] and the glass / plastic sphere is a drop of water
    its supposed to show how even nature is mechanical now
    how we set places to make 'green zones' and go about it in such an unnatural way

supposed to be hung by a nail, pointing downwards / curved off to the side
    22cm across

cheers
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay i really need to get my ass into gear.
    forcing myself to do more traditional art as of now.
    pushing myself as far as i can be pushed

Giraffe_by_abhishek_arts.jpg
    Traditional_Practice_002_by_abhishek_arts.jpg
    Traditional_Practice_003_by_abhishek_arts.jpg
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    forgot to mention:
    all crits welcome !
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    didnt have much time tonight, so i just did this thing here:

soldier01_WIP01.jpg
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Ill try to help your drawing, It looks like you are

1st drawing from a photo or 2d picture
    and
    2nd: drawing without rendering the underlining basic forms first.

In order to be able to render out a 2d drawing of a sheep or ram or whatever, first of all I would try your best to arrange a time to go to a zoo or pet store and see the animal live. If you cannot, draw something else you can go and look at in real life. Then start to draw the underlying forms of the subject before you go to any detail. Its called construction, "but dont take my word for it..."

I think this is the best link I can give you to improve your drawing skill

I didnt know about construction until i was like 25, which sucked cause I created a lot of bad habits and my eye is too lazy to get rid of them now. Basically its a set of rules that allow you to draw the subject in any position in 3d space by putting in place all the basic forms that are supporting one another, and finally right at the end adding any detail. This will give your drawings depth, dimension and perspective. This should also eventually allow you to choose the pose and angle of the subject you are drawing. This is IMO what your drawings are totally missing.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah construction is a good way to start thinking. another way look at it is start rendering volumes, as apposed to lines that *hopefully make up an image.

you need to re-wire your brain is to get away from all of this line work, and start drawing more volumes.

Do a cast drawing maybe?. find a white (plaster) statue, put a harsh light on it and draw that sucker- but pay attention to everything, all the relations of distances, shapes, light, shadow, bounce light etc- spend as long as you need but just nail it and get it looking exactly like the real thing, and I guarentee you`ll look at art a bit differently. ,make sure to use a medium that is error freindly,- but like Microneezia said, spend time nailing the construction before you start nailing down the lighting.

silenusthumb2.jpg

the robot above: the face has some nice volume to it, but if you had truly been thinking about what this guy looked like in 3d, you would have never made that strip of bolts along the top, (or side?) of his head. like really think about what your lines are doing in a 3d sense, and not just the 2d.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys
    i've looked at ur crits [a long time ago], so dont think i was ignoring them.
    thank you very much, and i'll see if i can get a hold of some sort of posable doll for drawing the human form etc.

thanks for the links too!
    --

haven't had time for personal art, since last time.
    its all been school work
    and here's one thing i did for the art final - take home studio project:

Impact_Point_by_abhishek_arts.jpg
    - colour pencils
    - fine liners
    - blue acetate
    - vermillion
    - turmeric powder

all put together on 8.5 x 11" paper

inspired by:
    Harold Edgerton
    Dale Chihuly
    James Gillray

tell me what you guys think!
    cheers
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello once again, Polycount.
    It's been quite a while since I've posted any art here, much to my personal disappointment. Things have been hectic, and I've found little time to do personal art, and what time I did find, I squandered.

Either way, I want / need to get back at this sketchbook thread, and I've decided to change things up quite a bit.
    Rather than having strictly 2D art in here, I want to involve other areas of art and design too.

I want to post here anything that requires a sense of design principles: graphic design, interactive design, 2D Traditional / Digital art, 3D art etc etc.

If anybody thinks any of this art is inappropriate to what should be on Polycount, then let me know, and I'll stop posting that specific form of art.

As always, any and every form of critique is welcome. I'm searching for growth as an artist and a designer, and any comment can help.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some interactive stuff I made.
    Flash_MPC_Pad__beatmaker__by_abhishek_arts.jpg
    A 3D/Flash hybrid project.
    Wanted to experiment with some Action Script 3, and work with some 3D art as well.

Cute_House_by_abhishek_arts.jpg
    a random sketch during class
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Good to see you back and posting some art, man. Haven't seen you around in a good while.

I like the style of your drumpad flash piece. The sound is really delayed with my keypresses which is somewhat annoying. I was also hoping the other knobs/buttons would actually do something (Master volume, echo, pitch change, etc).

Keep pimping, dude.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the welcome back man.
    It's been far too long since I've posted, that's true. I intend to at least post once in a while in this sketchbook, if not do some major pimpage.

The keypress/playback latency with that flash piece is kind of strange. If i do an alternative method, then it works for some and not for others - including me - while doing it in the current method, it works for others, and not for some. I need to look into that.
    As for the other knobs, i might do something about volume, or to cycle through different sound sets. Don't entirely know what all is possible with ActionScript 3 in terms of audio production.

As of now, I'm planning on purchasing a domain as I come closer to having enough pieces to start up a portfolio. I'm looking to get a summer job at a graphic design house, and so my upcoming pieces will probably mainly be 2D/GDes based.
    On the topic of getting a domain, i messed around and made this:
    folioUC_WiP01.jpg
    The guy's supposed to be pushing a screw into a wall. Don't know if it's working at the moment

WiP of my under construction sign, if I should need it.
    At the same time, i was just warming up: has been quite a while since i've done this stuff, and i wanted a small thing to work on..
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's an assignment i recently had
    it involved making 4 compositions to depict 4 different words using the imagery as well as the word itself.
    The 4 assigned words, in order, are:
    Calamity
    Sanctimonious
    Armadillo
    Psychedelic

35e04390507e1af6bb43820135b47ece.jpg
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just warmin' up my photoshop muscles
    MechBugScout_concept.jpg
    want to try traditional => digital rendering at some point, as well as full out digital rendering from scratch.
    in fact, i might follow through on this piece and make it a full out concept with model to go with it, considering small projects are all i might have time for in the near future.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2b87ae56896e827e6785ae5d002780fb.jpg

Went as i felt like it, from start to end.
    Added shapes that I felt were fitting, lighting that I felt worked etc etc.

All in all, a 40 minute exercise, just to warm me up to good ol' photoshop + tablet
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another 40 minutes
    Go_As_I_Flow_01__Scene_by_abhishek_arts.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    at this page I must say that you have improved. Keep practicing and you will get pro at it. :)

Nice work so far.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Nitewalkr.
    I intend to keep this thread as a motivation to update / art regularly :)

here's a little piece for tonight.
    Go_As_I_Flow_03__Scene_by_abhishek_arts.jpg
    It ended up as less than I wanted it to before I hit a brick wall of tiredness. It feels sort of like it might be an arbitrary blob to anybody other than me - considering i made it, i know what it's meant to be.
    I need to start spending some time refining at least a few details, and try and ref-hunt more than I do.

Either way:
    I'm thinking of starting some figure drawing etc from tomorrow onwards. So a little bit of this stuff, and some figure stuff. Maybe other 'observation from life' style pieces
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for today, i started looking through some loomis stuff. I've been referred to him before, and have looked at him before.
    Will definately look through his hands/heads book in more detail sometime soon

this is, of course, no where near that quality. i only had 30 minutes tonight to try it out:
    Go_As_I_Flow_04__Character_by_abhishek_arts.jpg

hopefully i'll have a chance to look through the book in more depth real soon

oh and:
    all comments and criticism is welcome in this thread itself. i post in my sketchbook to keep a collection of all my art, as well as any critique for the pieces so i can refer back to it all.

cheers guys
  • uneditablepoly
    Nice drum pad. I don't have much to say that anyone hasn't already said except good job on it. Also, the instructions are a bit off, I think. 'X' is listed twice for what should, I think, be the 'X' and 'C' pads.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey uneditablepoly

thanks for pointing that out.
    i'll fix that asap and re-up it.

here's my plans for a new motion-graphics piece i want to make:
    it starts with discussion about the effort needed in shooting a single artillery shot accurately
    StopWarDrinkBeer_StoryBoard.jpg
    and goes on to advertise some generic beer can and an 'anti-war' ideal

here's some stuff i have so far:
    StopWarDrinkBeer_process01.jpg
    StopWarDrinkBeer_process02.jpg

it's meant to be simplistic and cartoon-styled, of course.
    Still all WiP. Just wanted to post the process of the project up here.

cheers
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a portion of something i've done for a class assignment
    TarotCard_Strength.jpg
    done in illustrator
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys.

I know I sorta vanished from Polycount again, but its due to all the study permit / work permit stuff going on, as well as this:

http://abhishek-arts.com/

my portfolio is finally up and running!

Though I don't have too many pieces yet, I put it up at the moment to help get some design jobs over summer. Though my portfolio is geared more to the graphic design industry, I still wanted to share it with you guys here!

Currently am on the job hunt. Hopefully, when things become secure, I'll be returning to doing some more personal art on the boards.

Cheers!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While doing some web design work here and there, I managed to make just a couple pieces during the first semester of university. I've been doing some sketching here and there, but nothing major.

I have a month of winter break, and I intend to do some 3D art. Possibly something in the vein of 'Diesel Punk' that I recently discovered via the UPCP.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to stay a more active member on these boards!

Here's the aforementioned work - just practicing things like working with technique, colour and composition etc:

work_illustration_BigBirdIdentity.jpg
    Graphic Identity piece for a buddy of mine. He's an aspiring rapper, and I just wanted to put this together 'for fun'. He loved it, so that was good - especially so since he's not the type to pretend to like things =D.

and some photo-manip work [before and after]
    work_photography_Danielle01.jpgwork_photography_Danielle02.jpg
    This was actually for an assignment: the imagery/treatment reflects the response by the subject to 10 questions about herself. All the techniques applied etc. are self-taught. I don't know what I'm paying my university for, at times.

There's some more, but it's nothing noteworthy.

Off to the sketchpad, and then - hopefully - 3ds Max.