Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character WIP

Hey guy's coming out of lurking to post this character I'm working on, and hopefully get some feed back from you guys. This will be the first time I actually bake normals to a character, so this should be interesting on my part. I have a deadline of one week to get this done(homework), and another week for texturing. I'm not sure if I can do it, but I'm going to try. Anyway here is what I've done since yesterday.

Concept
concept.jpg

Helmet
headshot_1.jpg
The helmet has been reconcepted since the original concept. Thats why it differs.

Head Bust In Zbrush
zbrush_head2.jpg

Upper Armor
armorshot_2.jpg

Replies

• PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Love the concept. looking forward to see how it translates into 3d smile.gif
  • BassAckwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good so far man...cant wait to see it progress
  • DrakeAndrews
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very creative concept. Though, I'd watch out the armor that sticks up on his shoulders, make sure those don't clip his head when you're rigging this up for rotation of the shoulders, etc. They probably won't, but just a remind. wink.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I like this a lot so far. can't wait to see it further done.
  • Heart Murmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Very creative concept. Though, I'd watch out the armor that sticks up on his shoulders, make sure those don't clip his head when you're rigging this up for rotation of the shoulders, etc. They probably won't, but just a remind. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip man, I've never rigged before so any tips are useful.

Anyway here is a little more progress, legs always give me trouble so its like im in slow motion on this thing.

Torso
    torso_1.jpg
    Unfortunetly you won't be able to see much of those abs.

Leg progress
    legs_2.jpg

I had to reconcept the legs, the original design was out of perspective and just didn't look cool modelled out.
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    Looks promising. Very unique character design, good work.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    This concept is really nice---I like it alot.

Those abs are pretty hot....any way you could get them to show? hahahaha....

But in all seriousness, what kind of movement is your character going to be doing? Will he ever raise his shoulder above his head? If so, you'll have to think of a way for his shoulder spikes to be functional. From the looks of him though, he definitely looks like he'd have more mechanical movement, like that of a cyborg. For the front of his legs, in the concept, there's more of a downward curve---in the 3D rendition, it looks flat. Looking at the shoulders again, they're not very functional. He wouldn't be able to raise his arm. But like I said, if he's not going to be moving that extremely, then the armor works. This would be so much fun to texture---have fun with it man, you can go nuts with this. Keep it up.
  • Heart Murmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My apologies I haven't updated this in awhile.

@kaoticvisions - Yeah I totally agree with his inability to move and over the last couple weeks I have revised him so many times because I wasn't happy. I've given him better pivotal "fabric" I guess you could say around his joints. I've also tried staying closer to the concept. Thanks for the kind words too. grin.gif

Hopefully this is better.

Body
    semi-done4.jpg

Head
    headshot_2.jpg
    Now he can see forward. Helmet will come later. I'm also going to add hair possible on his neck, like the concept.

I am currently working on the low poly. I've kinda gotten to the point where I just want to get him done and move on.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    the head looks too small to me, and the hands and arms look waaaay too human.
  • Heart Murmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll fix the head, forgot to do that after my friend told me. As for the hands and arms what do you suggest? I suppose I could make his finger nails longer or something to make it look feral...
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, he has changed alot from the original concept. What I got from the original concept was that his face was organic, with a mask over it.

The pivotal fabric idea is pretty solid---alot of games (and military advances) use that so it's not a cop out.

As for the hands looking human, you didn't create a specific design in the concept so it's no wonder you came to a human hand creation. :-) What kind of creature are you going for? You could go gauntlets for his hands, weapons, there are alot of options you could do for the hands. And his arms look pretty short compared to his legs...I'd think that you'd want to make the arms longer (only because I like the long legs of the character---makes him look very statuesque and leering). Keep it up man.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    And turn the perspective on in Zbrush, or the proportions will still look bad.
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    Looks fairly different, I still like it. Possible suggestion? You could give him a telepathic way of communicating like the Protoss from Starcraft. Again though good work, keep it up.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looks very original and fun xD