Home Technical Talk

customizable nudge

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
when holding shift and tapping an arrow key in photoshop, as many of you know, PS will nudge your selection 5 pixels, rather than 1.

can i change this number? my thinking is to find a number that is more power of two friendly.

thanks,
-kill

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was 10px rather than 1?
    Interesting point though, an 8-pixel or customisable nudge would be great. I don't see it in any options though.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    It is 10, and no, there's no way to modify it. Damn good idea though...
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I think I have a workaround:

*IMPORTANT: Make sure under Edit > Preferences > Units & Rulers to set Ruler to pixels. Otherwise your action will record as Photoshops' default units instead of pixels.

1) Create a new photoshop action, name it properly and choose a function key to activate it (preferably so that they will correspond to right and left, like F2 = left, and F3 = right).

2) For each action activate the move tool, record, then press either the right or left arrow key the # of pixels you want the action to move. Stop recording.

3) Repeat for the opposite direction.

4) Pressing your function keys will now move the object.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    an action would work.

although, rather than nudging, using an offset entry in your action might work better, as it's main purpose was to help with tiling a texture and an offset is able to wrap if, for whatever reason, you needed it to.

thanks for the comments.

-kp