Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Warrior [3dsmax]

Replies

• sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    I play a little with muscles on a creature with my anatomic book, but I take some liberty on some parts....
    Skin and armor will come after this little funny time :)

Original concept of Gorgonzola 3000 : http://www.gorgonzola3000.com/

samavan_CreatureSoldier_A00.jpg
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I take my time :)
    Uvs connection for the ankle is bullet of shit :)

samavan_CreatureSoldier_A01.jpg
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

I didn't came arround for longtime now.... Really sorry for that... I was really busy! (you will understand if you read the news on my website!)

Today I had some freetime, and decided to create a new portfolio...

This is full 3D, then if some people are interested about my personnal stuff, probably they will like it!

http://samavan.com/sama.van_Portfolio_v0.2.exe

My first time I create something like that, I hope it will work for everyone!

You don't need to install it, the exe is something like a Viewer!

Use the middle mouse buttom and the right one for moving the camera!

Hop you enjoy it!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hi man, I think a lot of people might get put off downloading an exe from someone they dont know.. just a word of caution
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really don't worry, I created that with :

http://quest3d.com/

And I'm not a bad person -___- ....
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beautiful textures man absolutly stunning. i wish i had 1/4 of the painting talent you have.

-woog
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    just pack it into a zip or something ;)

nice way of showing off your works - some are really cool, if i were you I probably would drop some off the weaker characters..
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally update this character!

- Nude Body : 3100 Poly (diffuse 512x512).
    - Armor : 4338 Poly (diffuse 512x512).

And original concept on : http://www.gorgonzola3000.com ==> http://www.gorgonzola3000.com/admin/Pages/concept/ES_soldier.jpg

samavan_CreatureSoldier_A02.jpg
    samavan_CreatureSoldier_A03.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude as always ur textures are the tits great stuff, only thing is maybe his skin could be lighter? it seems a bit dark right now, the armor is great tho
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woogity wrote:
    only thing is maybe his skin could be lighter?

Hmmm... Yes, I work on dual screen Samasung LCDTV... Maybe contrast are not same...
    (Photo don't have the same render than reality but already we van see difference between monitors...)

Then probably have better to work on my laptop for the final contrast...

Thank you for the critic!

samavan_CreatureSoldier_A04.jpg
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Looking great Sama, and congrats on your move and marriage!
    Looks like you deviated a bit from the concept and gave him striated muscles under the armor instead of grey flesh. It looks cool but I think you might want to give making an alternate version a shot. The pictures of your lcd tv monitors does show that what you are viewing is pretty bright, I've always thought your work was off in terms of color brightness, but I am not sure how it is showing up for other people. Find a cheap lcd monitor (u can get a 22" Acer for $150 at Newegg) and check your work on it every now and then to make sure it is reasonable.
    I'd like to hear more about your new life in Japan! :)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    hey samavan!
    thats a lot of contrast difference lol

When colouring your textures, how do you go about (your workflow). Do you lay down the basic forms with a large brush, then go in with a dark brush, outlibe everything and then start adding colour at low opacity/smudge brush?
    When can we see a tutorial from you? :)
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Inspiration work ethic sama.van!

Good job :)
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -@ steady : About the skin, muscles stuff are only for my training... I will do the normal grey skin as well. About Japan, You'll know only what you can read on my website :) !

- @ butt_sahib : For tutorial you can check this 2 links :
    http://sama.van.free.fr/community/viewtopic.php?t=64
    http://sama.van.free.fr/community/viewtopic.php?t=59
    They are tutorial for some background. But I use really similar workflow for character... I don't work with normal map model then... I create a line first!

- @ TWilson : Thanks! Gorgonzola 3000 is a great artist, I really like his idea! He is actually working for a background for this characters, and I hope to create the programming game play with Quest 3D. People will maybe play to it next year :) Only for funny time!

Here is the new version, more light... I will need some feed back, if the contrast is ok!

Thanks Everyone! ^_^

samavan_CreatureSoldier_A05.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    your painting /texturing has always been a inspiration for me and mid poly characters! I love the glowing on this guy, I think the muscles in the bicep area could use some more shine at the moment, dosent feel as though it has much depth with that area of the muscles.

TOP NOTCH SIR!
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally I stop with the 500 poly thred and add everything here..
    It's for a little online project for away3D engine. (constraints are near of nintendo DS)
    The first two single characters was designed by a friend, you can see the concept art here :
    http://samavan.com/3D/Takeshi/petit_figure.jpg

I finally get lot of ideas and I created my selfeverything else you can see on pictures.

...And if some people are insterested about my work for some freelance job, please contact to me on :
    contactXsamavan.com (replace X per @)

samavan_pc_Girl_A_A001.jpgsamavan_pc_Girl_A_B001.jpg

samavan_pc_Man_A_A001.jpgsamavan_pc_Man_A_B001.jpg

samavan_pc_Type_CA_A001.jpgsamavan_pc_Type_CA_B001.jpg

samavan_pc_Type_DA_A001.jpgsamavan_pc_Type_DA_B001.jpg

samavan_pc_Bed_AA_A001.jpgsamavan_pc_Bed_AA_B001.jpg

samavan_pc_Bed_BA_A001.jpgsamavan_pc_Bed_BA_B001.jpg

samavan_pc_Bed_CA_A001.jpgsamavan_pc_Bed_CA_B001.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi SMV
    My only crit would be on the props. It seems like you put some unnecessary gradients in places where they are not really needed, especially on BCG_BED_B. Phantom Hourglass would be a great reference to look at for this. I think that flatter shades would work better.

Quand est-ce que tu auras une version jouable?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    This is some outstanding low-poly work... and I apologize but the first thing that popped to mind was "Guillotine for the DS! Now you can re-enact the best part of the French Revolution! Hit the lever just right, and try to make Marie Antoinette's head roll in one of three numbered baskets!"
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow sama, here i was telling you in another thread to do something other than cutesy and you were already doing it in this thread lol! I'm even more impressed with you now and continue to not understand why you don't have a job! With the earlier characters in this thread, you could apply to even more places than just DS. Ubisoft might hire you despite the lack of normal maps, as would any company that makes PSP or PS1 games.

Find out what company makes the persona series in japan, they might be worth a shot.
    Atlus comes to mind too, they might like that creature you finsihed earlier.
    Hell I'd be willing to even say Blizzard might like you for WoW and other "Diffuse only" projects.

Come on dude make a list and attack!

ps: I see someone talking about a playable version of your DS style stuff? Seriously don't bother with that, Unless you want a job as programmer, it's a waste of precious time. If your goal is an artist job, put all your time into more and better pieces, playable things won't help your chances at an art job. Some animations at most, to give some pieces more punch, but that's the furthest i'd go.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did that recently, it change of the cutie style... maybe...

You can try it in 3D there : http://samavan.com/3D/Random/500-800_Poly_Viewer_V0.2.exe

Camera :
    - RMB : rotate
    - MMB : Scroll
    - Roll : Zoom

You can click on the different part of the car for changing texture,
    click on different part of the fixed character and racket for changing texture,
    and click on the fatie character for switching animation...

Finally I did that on Quest 3D... but animation is freezing, lagging. jump some frame... I don't undertand why T_T

And about the playable version with the low poly characters on the top, a programmer take care of that...

But yes... I lost too lot of time for creating mel-script... But I need it.

I send a letter to Tri-ace on tokyo and Q-game on Kyoto tomorrow, It's already ready on my desk...

sama.van_random_A001.jpg
    sama.van_random_B001.jpg
    sama.van_random_C001.jpg
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also make sure youre not sending your stuff in some kind of .exe format. Nobody trusts executable portfolios.

I really wish you luck getting a job, the more i see from you, the more I feel it's wrong that you're not being hired.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shelf!!!

I really want to try that on Nintendo DS on day!!! ^_^

samavan_pc_Shelf_AA_A001.jpg
    samavan_pc_Shelf_BA_A001.jpg
    samavan_pc_Shelf_CA_A001.jpg
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More low poly!

Chimney :

samavan_Chimney_AA_A001.jpg
    samavan_Chimney_BA_A001.jpg
    samavan_Chimney_CA_A001.jpg
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I've been wondering sama.van... are you japanese? I thought I saw your location was UK or france at one point.

Anyways... from those japanese sites you linked in that yuki nagato thread, I found a couple really useful 3d books by japanese artists... got them in the mail yesterday... I think my understanding of 3d shot up by a few levels in seeing some real ps2 workflows :D it's too bad I can't read the japanese, otherwise my head would explode from all the awesome info stuffed into the books.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight wrote: »
    I've been wondering sama.van... are you japanese? I thought I saw your location was UK or france at one point.

Anyways... from those japanese sites you linked in that yuki nagato thread, I found a couple really useful 3d books by japanese artists... got them in the mail yesterday... I think my understanding of 3d shot up by a few levels in seeing some real ps2 workflows :D it's too bad I can't read the japanese, otherwise my head would explode from all the awesome info stuffed into the books.

No I'm French....

About Japanese book, there cool, you're right.
    I have this 2 one :
    - CG基礎・理論
    - ローポリ スーパーテクニック (単行本)

The pink one is really coolif you start to learn. I never found a european or american book like that.
    And to know reading japanese is not really usefull, pictures and draw explaation are perfect.
    But yes if you can read you can learn more with this book :)
    Anyway, if you can, buy the pink one (a french friend found the english version on ebay O_o... the book is not pink...)

You have lot of other book, they are really great too! but it starts to be littel expensivbe... then..
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    yeah I bought the ntny book, the CD and pictures really give everything you ever wanted to know about how to model for ps2 spec... I just need time to sit down and actually do more... I also picked up the 3dcg book by isao, it's pretty good, but not quite as awesome as the ntny book. I'd really like to find a book by the guys who worked on valkyrie profile 2 though :P

What does the pink book cover? I'd really like to find something more instructional on their approach to painting/blending their colors, I have yet to replicate a look like that, but that just be a matter of spending gobs more time working the color. Most of the japanese photoshop books are harder to follow though since the interface is more important than learning generic edgeflow and unwrapping stuff.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Containers!

Creating props is starting to kill my brain

samavan_Container_AA_A001.jpgsamavan_Container_BA_A001.jpgsamavan_Container_CA_A001.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats pretty far out man! :D
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rens : thank you!! ^_^

And now the desks!!
    Chairs and benches left... And I can start wall/floor and ceilling!

samavan_Desk_AA_A001.jpgsamavan_Desk_BA_A001.jpg
    samavan_Desk_CA_A001.jpg
  • CerealDemon1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might i suggest adding Normal maps to the characters?
    It would add a more bumpy like feel to the armor
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Might i suggest adding Normal maps to the characters?
    It would add a more bumpy like feel to the armor

This post is silly.

Sama, i'm a fan, it looks like your painting has improved, so some more higher res stuff, like 512s or something, i need to pad my inspiration folder.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that your models so far work nicely without normals, more like the old gen stuff which is a fine skill. I wouldnt worry about jumping into normals until you get a job. You wouldn't become good enough in normals to make a whole new portfolio and get a next gen job that fast anyway.

So focus on your current strength, get that job on Wii/DS/PS2/Iphone/Marketplace type projects, and learn the next gen stuff once you're employed and can take it slow!
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For saying right I already tried to add normal map on one of this character... But it's completly tirangled and Mudbox crashed on the 3rd smooth level haha...

And about next gen stuff I already created hi poly model when I was working at Team17.. But I don't really feel well with this kind of work, it makes me sleepy something crazy ....

About job, I was on interview 2 days ago on Kyoto in a game company, they really liked my work, but they are worry because I changed of company 2 time in less than one year... And Japanese poeople doesn't really like that......... well, I wait the answer now :(
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    damn, you're machine!
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more character!!
    A secondary one... Kind of Teacher/Researcher... Anyway, the guy creates new stuff for you in the game!

samavan_pc_Type_EA_A001.jpg
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will start some realistic stuff...
    Comment are welcome, it's not my speciality at all.....

samavan_Obj_Box_A001.jpg
    samavan_Obj_Box_A002.jpg
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Copy your scratches and painted lightning into the spec map and lessen amount of scratches and painted light in your diffuse map.
    Spend more time on your specmap.
    You want your lightsetup to pick out the scracthes and other surface detail, not paint them in as this will look very strange when you move lights, place them in a scene with different lightning conditions and/or animate your models.

That normal looks wierd, lots of smoothing errors due to the baking. Are you using max to bake? Check the wiki
    http://wiki.polycount.net/Normal_Map
    and this
    http://www.svartberg.com/tutorials/article_normalmaps/normalmaps.html for a better explanation.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik wrote: »
    Copy your scratches and painted lightning into the spec map and lessen amount of scratches and painted light in your diffuse map.
    Spend more time on your specmap.
    You want your lightsetup to pick out the scracthes and other surface detail, not paint them in as this will look very strange when you move lights, place them in a scene with different lightning conditions and/or animate your models.

That normal looks wierd, lots of smoothing errors due to the baking. Are you using max to bake? Check the wiki
    http://wiki.polycount.net/Normal_Map
    and this
    http://www.svartberg.com/tutorials/article_normalmaps/normalmaps.html for a better explanation.

Ok I will check that.

But I dont' understant, there is not specular map on the model.

I only created the hi poly model for getting a litAndShadedRGB in Maya and the normal map.
    After that I modify the normal map withCrazy bump for getting more contrasted map and the end.

I add the normal map in crazy bump and I boost some parameters.
    Aftert hat I import all the mapped creatred from Crazy bump + litAndShadedRGB and add them on my psd file for creating the diffuse.

Then on the last model you only have a diffuse with full self illumination.
    Maybe the picture is not clear.... I will modify that now.

And maybe I have a question finally, once I seen a program on polycount, a kind of viewer you can import you model and all the kind of map... only for beautifil and create some screen...
    Does someone remember that program?
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik : You ahve right, Pior just said to me how to get a better render! It was fast!

I modified the picture!
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Marmoset?
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=61346

Ok, I misunderstood your presentation, I should have understood that the model had 100% self ilum on it. But are you trying to learn how to do "nextgen" stuff, or continue on DS stuff which a more realistic tone?
    My point is just that I'm confused how you want to use this model. In a newer game which relies on dynmanic lightning, shaders and textures made to take these two things into consideration, this model would stand out due to the fact that its normal maps are broken, there is nothing in the spec map that reflects the wear and tear that you have painted in the diffuse.

The model is also not suited for vertex color lightning due to the fact that it was way, way to few vertices (lowdetail model) to get any good vertex lightning. Check this:
    http://phalanx.planetunreal.gamespy.com/tut%27s/tutorial_vertex.htm

However, if this is meant to be in a game with no lightning system, eg, a DS game I think it looks great. But then you wouldn't need your normalmap.

EDIT: Ah you posted when I wrote this. Still, some of it is still relevant, what is your goal with this peice?

EDIT2: I wouldn't call your final map "diffuse", I would just write "Final result" or something like that to clear up any confusion for idiots like me :).
  • BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I like your Warriors!
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik : thank you for the links!

Yes actually I try what the hi poly work + bake map can save to me as time...
    I just test, etc... And About next gen, think that : On polycount, 90% of the thread are about next gen work. but if you look at the business on Iphone, wii or other old gen plateform work, there is a lot of money too!

For saying right I try how to get a photo realistic render, I develop some tools on Maya and prepare some script on Photoshop too! It's good training :)

Realistic renderer is more asked than my colored style then I'd like to try! haha $_$

And I will for sure do some test this weekend with the normal map work in an engine and maybe creating a low poly model with more polygons!

BUSYROBOT : Thank you! I can change the name of the thread.... but thanks haha!

one more shoot! ^_^

samavan_Obj_Box_B001.jpg
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    wow.. looking good as always sama.. i think i need to follow your lead and practice this kind of stuff.. i'm still back in the stone age w/ straight diffuse color models.. i like this mainly for the simplicity and how quick you can put these models together.. keep it up i'll keep watching....

all your low poly props and characters are looking hot too btw.. keep up the good work :)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool stuff man! its been a while since i checked your thread out the realistic stuff is looking really nice, your bakes are working out pretty damn well too!

-Woog
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More boxes test...

samavan_Obj_Box_B002.jpg
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Sama, You´re an inspiration to us all :)

At least me :)