Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game model: Citro

Hello all!

This is my first post here at this forum. I have been lurking around for a while and I have been admiring the many great low poly models being shown.

But now I feel I'm ready to show some of my own stuff. I am a noob modeler (hobbyist) and I use Lightwave 3D and Photoshop.

The model I am making is my first complex gamemodel and is a model of the Citro

Replies

• Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Welcome.

I think it looks pretty good so far. I've been thinking about doing an older car like that myself, alot more style than most new cars imo.

I think it needs a back bumper. smile.gif

Other than that no real crits, texturing is a major point

Looks like there might be a few places that could be optimized and not be noticeable. New games can handle tons of polys but wasting them is useless.
    Like the back window, the corners are such a tight radius I wonder if they'd even be noticed in game. Might work as a square, or maybe just one poly for the corner, maybe alpha channel would be best and the window wouldn't have to even be cut out.

I'm curious to know which game you are making it for, if you are using 5k polys for a certain reason. Are most of the cars in that game 5k? Or is it a random number?

Are you working from a source, would be cool to see it also.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    That top looks a bit messy, you might want to clean it up a little bit. You may also want to cut down the roundness on the headlights - and in the front part in general... but the overall shape looks good to me.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    I'm curious, how'd you go about making this? I've never used lightwave so there may be some tools that allow for a different method, but I'm curious as to what your process was. The model looks very inconsistent. In some areas you have excessive use of unnecessary polys, other areas have some really messy poly flow, while others have a lot of nice rectangular quads going. Seems kinda funky.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    What I'd do would be have the edges connect to the side on the rooftop instead of having bunch at the middle (They appear to be mirrored) but the poly flow doesn't make sense since it doesn't help optimize the shape.
  • HenFre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your comments. I have made some changes to the flow of polygons on the roof and have deleted a lot. I have thus saved about 200 tri's and I'm still looking to refine the model some more. The headlights will be next and if you have any other places that could be addressed then please tell or show me wink.gif

Here is the updated model:

ac4internet007lo3.jpg

The car that I am modeling looks like this:

emmanuel2or9.jpg

Hope to hear from you all! cool.gif

Best regards

Henrik
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Appreciate showing the reference here...anyways.

Now that looking at it the hood could use one edge loop for the curvature like in the pic...know that though you're aiming for a smaller budget you should retain as much shape as possible. Also do the same for the front "skirts" where you have the straight edges, it might have a little problems when you do render.

Perhaps you should clean up the splittings on the window frame too, its kind of messy like the roof on your first post. Prolly take off on loop on the back skirt as well.

Show us the shaded image as well.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    You haven't spent enough tris on the basic shape.
    I would look at these areas first:

Skirts, way too highpoly when viewed from the side for you to have those quite serious faults when viewed in 3/4 angle from the front like in the photo.

Headlights, fewer segments (weld!) as you get closer to the back.

Top part of the suspension (see picture)

The bar between the suspension, can be 6 sided or less.

The bar between the headlight, can be 4 sided or less.

I would add the tris you have saved in the following areas:

The wheels. Right now they will never shade nicely ingame, I would have spent another couple of hundreds tris each on them to model the round profile of the rubber and the basic rim and then normalmapped the rest.

The hood. Round it out like pliang suggested and add the gently upward curve towards the windshield.

The weird cap over the windshield.

The third window along the side of the car!

Green is where I would save some tris.
    Red is representing my confusion about how you have modeled these parts of the car.
    Yellow is where I would have add a few loops to help round out the shape.

citro.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, you absolutely have to add the visor!!!
  • HenFre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you again for giving me some important pointers to improve my model. I have tried to implement as many into this update as I could with the time at my disposal.

Here is the update:

ac4internet010qs9.jpg

And a shaded screenshot:

ac4internet009aa1.jpg

Still need to add the visor above the windscreen, finish the interior, make the uv-map and finally the texture. So still a long way to go, but I'm getting there thanks to you guys.

Please keep the crits coming smirk.gif

Henrik