Home Technical Talk

3dsmax.. dont have 2nd monitor anymore and cant..

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
so I had 2 monitors and had my render panel and material panel on my 2nd monitor... sadly now I only have 1 I cant get access to them... help! shocked.gif

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    you can search through your 3dsmax.ini file and change the x/y coordinates for the panels. I've had to do this a few times in the past, it's not to bad. Easier than getting everything the way it was before if you delete the .ini file altogether.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Kurtis your a life saver! smile.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmn, I am using max 9 and I cant find a 3dsmax.ini anywhere... Per how is it possible to utilize ultramon to bring my panel back from my second monitor?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    just came here to give you my support and this is something really annoying , thanks for the info per will get that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure the window you want to bring back is active. If its the material editor, launch it via a menu or shortcut and don't click on anything else. Then press ALT + Space bar and then press M. That will snap your pointer to the top menu portion of that window (even if its off screen) and set it to move. Now click and drag your mouse back onto the visible area. It works on just about any window, provided it isn't maximized.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying that vig.. it pops up the dialogue box like it should work but when I click it wont drag anything on to the screen

Do you have the same problem too Johny?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yeah i had the brilliant idea to connect my laptop to my monitor , all was fine etc , then i disconnected it played games good times then bam! i tried to render stuff and i couldnt see the window now i could exit the proggie, then i found out the same as you. of course i was super pissed since there wasnt another monitor...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn that worked for me the last time I had that issue. Ultra Mon does add options to the alt + space bar menu that comes up, one of them is "move to other monitor". If you can see that menu you might be able to arrow down to it or click on it? If you can't see it, if you arrow down 6 times and hit enter it should pop it over. Total trash that you have to install a 3rd party app to get a window back =/
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig you were right! but missed the point that you have to use the arrow keys to bring the menu back on screen! smile.gif

"You can either edit the 3dsmax.ini file which contains the positions of most dialogs (incl. also Material Editor etc.), or use the Alt+SPACE+M trick which is much faster.

If we are talking about the Render Scene Dialog floater, do this:

*Check the Render Scene Dialog icon (the dialog will open outside of the desktop, but will be in focus)
    *Press Alt+SPACE BAR - this opens the dialog's menu Move/Close menu in its upper left corner.
    *Press M which enters keyboard Move mode.
    *Press and hold the LEFT ARROW to move left until the dialog appears on your only screen.
    *Hit Enter to finish.

This trick works with any dialog in focus that might be offscreen, incl. lost TrackViews etc."
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hot damn I'm saving that to a text file and hiding it off of the viewable area right now!
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    hey, thats handy.
    Whenever I had this problem I would give the file to a friend with 2 monitors so they could move the window and save the file again for me
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Is it true that if you place tinfoil in between you monitors, then any files you pass across from one monitor to another will bounce off:)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I use UltraMon and I love it.